Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does it mean to be strong? page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Smile What does it mean to be strong?

Primal Fuel
    My blog post today is about assessing fitness, specifically strength. It's a tricky subject!

Click the link above to read my thoughts on this subject and feel free to post your comments directly on my blog.

Thanks for reading!
    Al
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Did the Bar-Barian requirements spark this post? I'm working on getting my reps up, endurance is not something I've paid much attention to trying to progressively get stronger...

This post (like most of the stuff on my blog) came from a recent conversation with one of my clients. The bar-barian requirements go far beyond what I deem strong. You need to be practically super-human to fulfill the new ones!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

Ugh tell me about it, I'm still trying to Muscle Up... or get 20+ push ups.. honestly I don't know what's hardest.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    is "20+" a typo?... I don't think I'm very fit persay but doing 20 isn't really much... ... ... my max rep is 49 atm but if you are battling between muscle ups and 20 pushups... ... idk...it just doesn't add up to me...( I can't do a muscle up as of now...)...

I hope that doesn't come off negative or anything... I'm just confused...

No offense taken, if I'm fresh I'm sure I can do a bit over 30 push ups but muscle endurance is something I haven't paid a lot of attention to (this is arguable, as Al states, but doing more than 30 push ups is more a question of muscle endurance than brute strength)

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    maybe I'm just better at push-ups than I thought...?... the group I have a weekly competition with at work I'm the worst of the people who aren't completely out of shape... the 'top dogs' roll out at between 70 and 100 ... ... I'm still working towards that muscle up though

Quote Originally Posted by Fatkid View Post
    maybe I'm just better at push-ups than I thought...?... the group I have a weekly competition with at work I'm the worst of the people who aren't completely out of shape... the 'top dogs' roll out at between 70 and 100 ... ... I'm still working towards that muscle up though
    Sounds like you've got a very fit group of guys that you train with - 49 straight push-ups is really good! I've only ever seen one person do over 100 push-ups without a break. The most I've ever done was in the 80's.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I was really into push up for a while and I found that eventually there really weren't making me much stronger or bigger but just increasing my endurance. More endurance isn't a bad thing except that I was converting muscle fibers from fast to slow twitch and push up sets were taking a lot longer. So, I've moved back to bench pressing again to increase my over all strength and maybe add a little size while I'm at it.

Yeah I'm honestly not too interested in doing 50+ push ups, or way too many reps on any given exercise. I figure if you can do more than 40 then it's time to change up, add resistance, change leverage or something to make it more challenging. I definitely see the merit in it, though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast