Thread: recommended dietary omega 6:3 polyunsat fat ratio page

andrewc Guest

Primal Fuel

I recall reading that for optimal health, the omega6:3 ratio should be approximately 4:1.

Given that these are both polyunsat fats, hence should constitute a very small percentage of our kcal intake and the difficulty sourcing foods which have a desirable 6:3 ratio (I'm thinking of issues with eggs and the natural ratio in nuts), this would seem to be more easily obtainable.

I wondered what people's thoughts were on the above recommendation and what ratio they were aiming for in their diet.

Thanks.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Stephan has a good post about the topic:
    [quote]

It looks like a healthy ratio is between 2:1 and 1:4 n-6 to n-3. Some of these cultures ate a good amount of n-3 polyunsaturated fat, but none of them ate much n-6. There are three basic patterns that I&#39;ve seen: 1) low fat with low total n-6 and n-3, and a ratio of less than 2:1; 2) high fat with low total n-6 and n-3 and a ratio of 2:1 or less; 3) high fat with low n-6 and high n-3, and a low carbohydrate intake.</blockquote>

http://tinyurl.com/m788eg

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

grandma is offline Member

I think Stephan also recommends that n-6 should total no more than 4% by calories.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

andrewc Guest

SS - thanks for the link - a good explanation.

grandma - I must have missed that one, I&#39;ll check it out.

cheers.

grandma is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's grandma, but you can call me sir.