Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is the organic factor in the primal blueprint? page

marcfromcanada is offline Junior Member

How important is the organic factor in the primal blueprint?

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone. I'm a new Grok. I'm in need of a bit of help from others following the primal way of living.

How important is the organic factor? I'm currently eating grass fed beef so that's fine. However eating organic chicken here where I live is murder. For one breast, the average cost is 10$. For one breast. I'm sorry but that's just too much for me.

The other problem is organic fruits and veggies. Again, where I live, I can find organic but supply is low. I mean one week I can have organic broccoli and then not see it for another month. Even organic markets can't seem to have a steady supply. The cost is high in local markets. Really high. Supermarkets have better price but you never know what they will have from one week to the other.

In the primal blueprint, Mr. Sisson talks about how if you can't eat 100% organic then at least wash with a produce washer. Anyone doing this. I found a company biodegradable and safe for the environment.

I want to see great results. I'm just worried if not going 100% I won't see the results.

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.

Have a healthy day.

Marc Joanisse.
    Gatineau,Quebec,Canada.

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion, grass-fed and organic are the brass ring of Primal Blueprint, but even getting to the aluminum ring of standard grocery store meats and vegetables is far superior to the SAD. I also think that going primal can be done in phases. Right now I'm focusing on WHAT I eat, after a while when I'm comfortable with that and I have more time, energy and money to focus in a new direction, I'll work on improving the quality of what I eat.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I would disagree and say that organic is merely the icing on the cake (the mushrooms on the steak? The bacon grease on the egg?). Studies show that organic stuff is more nutritious, but it's not night and day different. I'd say get what you can from small local farms, get natural meats and eggs whenever possible, and do your best with the rest. I do believe that it matters more the higher up the food chain you go - you can wash most toxins off a potato, and peel it, but you can't get them out of beef fat.
    It's odd that you pay $10 for an organic chicken breast, I can get pastured all natural chickens for that price, cut up or whole. Try buying thighs or other fatty cuts anyhow, the breast isn't where the flavor is at.

jpatton624 is offline Member
    Organic foods must have a stronger defense system against the environment, and thus have more carcinogens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxE9sYatPAs

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I prefer local,fresh over organic. That label doesnt always imply quality or cleanliness.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatton624 View Post
    Organic foods must have a stronger defense system against the environment, and thus have more carcinogens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxE9sYatPAs
    You do realise that nothing really wants to be eaten? There's no perfect food. Just because there could be potential carcinogens or whatever in a food doesn't mean it has any consequence in our bodies. Especially if said food is more nutritious and has more antioxidants.

Grok would have been eating wild food, which I would bet would have had more nasties in it but he done fine, so I wouldn't worry.

Organic/grass fed/local is the best for your health and the environment (which will also help your health).

Granted not everyone can afford organic or find grass fed/pastured etc. I would rather have seasonal, local, ripe non-organic produce than an organic tomato from Chile that was picked green and ripened on its fortnight long journey to my plate. Grass fed is also better than simply organic.

Organic, local ethically produced food is best. In an ideal world everyone would eat organic but it's not realistic.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

doghead is offline Senior Member
    I think organic is somewhat overrated in its importance.

We all know it is superior to regular produce, however, the advantages of organic vs. regular supermarket food is microscopic when compared the advantages of going primal vs. SAD.

I feel a lot of newcomers are overwhelmed by the possibility of a much higher grocery bill, when in truth it is perfectly reasonable to continue buying the same food as before if the funding is not there.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Joshy is offline Senior Member
    I think the organic label gets thrown around and exploited a lot, but it's important for some things. Finding a local farmer is obviously best, but that can be tough.

Most things are out of season locally for most of the year.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    What really strikes me as the advantage in organic food is the avoidance of antibiotics and hormones in meats and the avoidance of pesticides in vegetables and fruits.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    In my opinion, grass-fed and organic are the brass ring of Primal Blueprint, but even getting to the aluminum ring of standard grocery store meats and vegetables is far superior to the SAD. I also think that going primal can be done in phases. Right now I'm focusing on WHAT I eat, after a while when I'm comfortable with that and I have more time, energy and money to focus in a new direction, I'll work on improving the quality of what I eat.
    +1. Listen to Sassy.

Don't become paralyzed by perfection. Do what you can, how you can. Over time, your food will become increasingly more "clean," but for now focus on the grains and sugar and cooking from scratch without any processed foods. That is more than enough to keep you busy. $10 for an organic chicken breast is outrageous, and nobody expects that of you.

BEST WISHES! Come back often to MDA for encouragement and support. This food plan is hard to get launched, but once you do, it's easy and satisfying, with no cravings.

P.S.
    My heritage is French-Canadian but, sadly, I am the first generation who does not speak French fluently. (I can only count to 10 and say "Maman, I'm hungry." Family's name is Bourgeault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast