Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pregnant and dealing with food aversions/smells - help! page

alireb is offline Member

pregnant and dealing with food aversions/smells - help!

Primal Fuel
    Up until I got pregnant, I was eating 90-100% primal and feeling great. I was doing lots of exercise (lots of walking every day and yoga), but had to stop everything because of the major nausea I had as well as being completely exhausted and unable to even stand for more than a minute.

All of my favorite go to primal foods were now off limits - eggs, meat, veggies, etc. I started eating gluten free breads to just get some food in my body and could manage a green apple as well. I then starting eating gluten items and my stomach has been suffering big time. I've decided to cut all gluten out again but the problem is that I'm not sure I can fully go back to primal right now.

I have been unable to cook because the smells make me sick to my stomach. I managed to make my husband and son homemade chicken soup last week because they both had colds and nearly puked when handling the raw poultry. That was the first thing I made in 2.5 months. My husband made lamb chops the other week (one of my favorites) and I couldn't even enter the kitchen or eat them because the smell of them cooking made me physically ill. I miss meat and I know I need it and eggs but can't stand the smell of it cooking!

I can eat certain items out of the house - I did manage to get down a nice filet for my birthday (my first red meat in months) and can manage eggs out because I can't smell them. Hardboiled eggs are out unfortunately. I tried making some and had to spit them out.

I'm looking for breakfast and dinner ideas that I can have that are primal or at least gluten free but won't be too much of an issue for me to cook. So far, I've thought of egg casseroles/egg muffins that I can make the night before, then pop in the refrigerator. Does anyone else have any suggestions to help me through this rough time? I'm 14 weeks and still feeling awful and having major food aversions. I wish I could eat the way I was right before I got pregnant because I felt amazing and I know it will be the best for this little one.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    First of all, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way I can completely relate to nausea reducing what food you can eat. It sucks. Keep reminding yourself that soon it'll be over and you can go back to eating what you want to eat!

For breakfast, you might try these "pancakes/bread substitute" . I know they look weird, but they're super healthy (spinach, eggs, almonds, and shredded coconut). I made them this weekend and put nut butter and sliced banana on them. They were great! You can't taste the spinach at all, so eating them like you normally eat pancakes would be good too.

You could also try the custard from Mark's cookbook. It's mostly coconut milk and eggs, but tastes like a sweet dessert. In the cookbook he even mentions it could be good for breakfast We did the "chocolate one" and we all agreed that it tasted like hot cocoa.

Finally, smoothies might be a good option for you in the mornings. Throw some fruit, coconut milk, and protein powder in a smoothie and you've got no weird smells and tons of good nutrition.

Good luck!

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    see this is what I can't understand - why would nature do this to a pregnant woman? Surely in Grok days she would have died from not eating...this doesn't make any sense for the prosperity of a species!

maybe there's something else behind it - i can't imagine mothers for millions of years being too tired or nauseas to cook - there wouldn't be a human race if that were the case...

anyone any thoughts?

alireb try my banana pancakes (with or without banana. you can add nuts, coconut, whatever makes you feel good) they are made with almond flour. I will find you the link...I have them for brekkie or as a accompanyment to a dinner.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...anana+pancakes
    Last edited by queen_sheba; 10-11-2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: adding link
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

alireb is offline Member
    Smoothies might work! Thanks for that tip! I'll have to find the PB cookbook, I know it's somewhere around here but of course it's not in my bookshelf.

I thought maybe of having my husband grill up some chicken breasts and then I can eat them cold on salads for lunches and dinners. Cold meat doesn't have as much smell so it's a bit easier for me to handle.

try roast beef silverside then. only made with beef and salt - no hidden nasties....i didn't notice where you were though...not sure what it is called outside the UK
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by queen_sheba View Post
    see this is what I can't understand - why would nature do this to a pregnant woman? Surely in Grok days she would have died from not eating...this doesn't make any sense for the prosperity of a species!
    Here's the best theory I've read....morning sickness induces an artificial famine in the first trimester. The body responds to famine by growing an ENORMOUS placenta that gathers in every last nutrient. In Grok's time, that was a big advantage...in the second two trimesters, the body grows a big healthy baby through that healthy placenta.

When I was a student midwife, I would weigh every placenta....sure enough, the weight correlated with degree of first trimester sickness!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

WOW - you know everything lizch! I was expecting a few half arsed theories but that is great!

there you go alireb - just let it be - your body will let you know when it is time to get pally with the fridge again!

xx
    best wishes for you
    Scottish Sarah

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'm just completely and totally fascinated by pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding. So I read about it endlessly

Yes, alireb, Sarah's summary is the way to go: your baby needs practically nothing in the first trimester. Just make sure you're getting folic acid, and maybe vit D too. Eat what you can, and wait for your body to finish growing that placenta and start needing to nourish the baby more...around 12-14 weeks usually.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

alireb is offline Member
    I'm 14 weeks now, so definitely needing some nutrition!

I just made some homemade chicken soup with carrots, celery and onion and I'm sure that will take me through the next few days. I also remembered that I can eat walnuts as a quick protein/fat snack so I got some of those too.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I suggest having DH roast a bunch of meat, while you are out of the house and then eating it cold through out the week. If he isn't willing then pick up some rotisserie chickens and pre-cooked meat from the hot foods section of the store.

Make sure to get enough potassium since it is a natural tamer of morning sickness (which is why some women can only eat potato products in early pregnancy). Take some B6, it is supposed to help too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast