Thread: Want to do a few days of VLC- anything I should watch out for? page

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member

Want to do a few days of VLC- anything I should watch out for?

Primal Fuel
    I've been tinkering and flirting with primal for a while now. But just over the past few days I've been not getting enough dense (key word: DENSE, not vegetable, ANIMAL protein) and waaaaaaaaaaay too many carbs. And even though I only ate fruit and vegetables, my blood sugar was OUT OF CONTRL. I was crazy and craving-ravenous and out of my mind about food all day for days.

So obviously I'm SUPER-carb sensitive. Which I knew, anyway.

So today was Canadian thanksgiving. I was tired of feeling like shit with the constant blood sugar crashes, so I went semi-low carb. Lots of fat, lots of protein, about 10g of vegetable carb per meal or less, most of it fiber.

Then I had 400kcal of just protein and fat (turkey!) for a snack. And felt GREAT.

At the big thanksgiving dinner I just had dark meat and some salad greens and a yellow pepper. Carbs were about at 20g or so, but I still felt good.

So I'm thinking I'll try VLC for a few days. Produce is really pricey here and I could stand to save the $ of going without for a few days. I love fresh veggies, but I'm tired of overdoing the carbs and making myself sick- AND paying big bucks for the privilege.

So I want to know if there are any vitamin or nutrient supplements I should watch out for when going VLC? I might throw in one meal of dark salad greens- spinach, kale, kelp and nori seaweed- just to get some nutrients in there.

And I can't see doing it for more than 3-4 days. After that I'll carefully add back in some cucumber, peppers, tomato, eggplant, raw brocolli, etc etc. Then after that, VERY carefully, some fruit.

Is this safe? I'm not really looking to lose weight, and I don't plan to restrict calories much. So I can snack on as much turkey, beef, sardines, pumpkin seeds, olives and olive oil, tuna, avocado etc as I want.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Grizz is offline Banned
    Very Low Carbs = Ketogenic Diet
    means you are going to go into ketosis. Here are my references on Ketosis and what to expect.
    All About Ketosis -
    http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-ketosis/
    Ketostix @ Amazon -
    http://www.amazon.com/Ketostix-Reage.../dp/B0000532GJ
    Using Ketostix - http://www.doingatkins.com/ketostix
    Signs of Ketosos - http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...g-ketosis.html
    Ketosis Affects before & after 3 weeks MDA
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-c...t-term-memory/
    Where Does The Glucose Come From - Ketosis or Carbs
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/glycogen/

IMO, your VERY GREEN veggies will give you needed vitamins. Be sure to take enough vitamin D supplements. 1,000 IU of D3 per 25 lbs of body weight. See Marks book, Primal Blueprint for more needed supplements

Best to you,
    Grizz

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CandylandCanary View Post
    So I want to know if there are any vitamin or nutrient supplements I should watch out for when going VLC? I might throw in one meal of dark salad greens- spinach, kale, kelp and nori seaweed- just to get some nutrients in there.
    Vitamin C could be a bit low on an all-meat diet, but it doesn't have to be. It depends on how fresh it is, whether you over-cook it, and which cuts you select/have access to. Adrenal glands (which you're probably unlikely to find at the butcher's) apparently have more C than any plant would.

I don't see there's any particular need to shun vegetables - so why not have the spinach? - but "get some nutrients in there" seems nothing but mythology. There are plenty of nutrients in animal foods - including some that you won't find in adequate quantities (or even at all) in plants.

Dr. Harris - "Plants and plant compounds are not essential or magic":

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...-or-magic.html

Did you know the whole of the fur trade - the equivalent of a multi-billion dollar business these days - ran on pemmican? It was the most efficient travel-food, and contains all the nutrients necessary to support life. Have a look at Stefansson on this and other related matters:

http://www.zerocarbage.com/library/FOTL.pdf

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Fruit is very carby because of the sugars. Even lower carb fruits like blueberries and tomatoes are more carby than a lot of the veggies.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    How do you know what your blood sugar was?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Vitamin C could be a bit low on an all-meat diet, but it doesn't have to be. It depends on how fresh it is, whether you over-cook it, and which cuts you select/have access to. Adrenal glands (which you're probably unlikely to find at the butcher's) apparently have more C than any plant would.

I don't see there's any particular need to shun vegetables - so why not have the spinach? - but "get some nutrients in there" seems nothing but mythology.
    Harris would be the first to say that there are nutrients in veggies. He's only saying that they're not magical and over and over again have not been shown to extend life.

The problem with low carb comes when folks aren't eating a variety of organ meats - liver alone won't do it. Without a broader selection of offal, it's easy to come up short on magnesium, potassium, zinc and especially selenium. Oysters alone can satisfy zinc requirements - a serving every 5-10 days depending on weight, sex, age and activity level. Other seafood can make huge donations of magnesium and selenium.

When Paul Jamet did VLC/carnivore, he did end up with scurvy.

Emily Deans,MD writes:
    [quote]there are reports of patients on ketogenic diets for epilepsy dying of selenium deficiency (3). (my paleo perspective - you are eschewing your vegetables, eat your organ meats!). [/quote ]

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for responding.

Grizz- thanks for the links and the heads up about Vitamin D. We've been lucky enough to still have sunlight yesterday and today, but I still live in the Pacific Northwest and the dark rainy grey winter is coming. I'll buy more Vit D today.

Lewis- I'm not planning to shun vegetables for very long. I adore veggies. I just want to give my blood sugar a break with ketosis- AND save a few days worth of grocery money on produce. I live on an island, so produce has to be trucked in on the ferry and is EXPENSIVE. I'm adding veggies back in very soon, it's just more or less a save $$/let my blood sugar settle down, carb detox kind of thing.

I'm not really going to wade into the controversy on whether vegetables are magical or not, I just know that they seem to give me a lot of nutrients and I plan to eat lots of fresh veggies daily long term.

It's just a matter of doing a bit of a carb detox to start off, and then figuring out what my carb tolerance is.

Mizski- agreed. Aren't tomatos and peppers technically fruit? I can have them, but I need to WATCH the carbs better. They do add up. They're fabulous for nutrients and I consider them stellar healthy foods. But yeah.. carby.

Gotta- I don't use a blood sugar monitor, if that's what you mean. But I can tell by how I feel. I'm hypoglycemic, so I know what a blood sugar crash feels like.

Cillakat- great info as always, thank you! I didn't know that about oysters.. I believe they're actually on sale at the local market, so I might pick some up.

I am only planning to do this for four days TOPS. It's just a mini-detox. After that, I'm back to veggies.

And I am planning to have a good hit of low carb greens every day too.
    Last edited by CandylandCanary; 10-11-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You will not need to visit the toilet as often. You will probably think you are constipated but it's just because you don't have as much fiber in your diet. Don't worry about it