Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My caveman hubby's wild game sausage recipe page

My caveman hubby's wild game sausage recipe

Primal Fuel
    I live with a real caveman. I have always known this but since I have been eating primal, it has never been more clearly outlined. My hubby, affectionately called “Stag” has been tracking and hunting animals and fish long before “Grok” was popular.

Two weeks ago, Stag drug another elk home. It was a big celebration! He hadn’t got an elk for 2 years due to his changing from rifle hunting to bow hunting. He felt more like mouse than a caveman out there hunting them with just a stick and a string. But patience preserved and Stag harvested one. (I told you he is a caveman.)

I know many of you have not been part of harvesting an elk, but it is a lot of work. Stag does all his own butchering of the animal. It takes him the better part of a week, and that is with help from some other cavemen! My favorite part of the whole process is when he makes elk sausage.

I have managed to arm wrestle his recipe out of him to share with you. (Well, more like flutter my eyelashes and ask nicely.) I have posted it over at my paleo blog, http://cavewomancafe.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/sausage/

YUM Good, eat.

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    i might have to try this with venison, though i would be reall tempted to add some fat...

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the elk! That is probably our favorite most used game meat around here. And I agree, it is a LONG day of processing for a full elk. We can do a deer or antelope in 4-6 hours usually, and elk runs about 12-13 hours with the two of us working hard (he quarters them in the field, so that is hours in the kitchen only). Its worth it though, you get so much more meat when you do it on your own rather then pay a processor.

I like your sausage recipe, may have to try that on something this year. We like to cut it with about 20% ground really fatty beef or pork shoulder to give it some fat content for cooking. Makes for great burgers on the grill.

We have an antelope so far, and he has about 3 deer hunts lined up so I suspect that will be our next one. He had too many sheep and goat hunts to guide this year so he missed elk bow season in Colorado for the first time in a LONG time. If we don't get a couple deer he will probably get a late season cow elk tag just to fill the freezer. Meat has never been an issue in my household....coming up with recipes has been more my struggle!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I love sausage, sounds like it would taste great. I've never had Elk!

Cool! Sounds like you know exactly what it is to live with a caveman! There is an excellent cook book written by a friend of mine that you might enjoy called "Wild about Game." by Janie Hibler. I never tire of reading it. Has great recipes and great facts about cooking with wild game.

I have never had Antelope. We live on the Northwest Coast and there aren't any here. What does it taste like?

Yes, a little ground pork is pretty amazing in this recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by cavewoman cafe View Post
    Cool! Sounds like you know exactly what it is to live with a caveman! There is an excellent cook book written by a friend of mine that you might enjoy called "Wild about Game." by Janie Hibler. I never tire of reading it. Has great recipes and great facts about cooking with wild game.

I have never had Antelope. We live on the Northwest Coast and there aren't any here. What does it taste like?
    Antelope really seems to depend on what they are eating. We had one a year ago that tasted just like a really good deer....and was really tender to boot. We have had some that are more gamey though. I am cooking some of this new antelope for the first time this week. It was in full rut, plus they live in a very sagey dry area, so curious to see how it will taste. I haven't decided if the gamey ones were processed poorly and late, or if its the time of year/diet that effects them. Guess I will see!

On that cookbook you recommended, do most of the recipes translate well to primal? I find a lot of game recipes rely on rice, potatoes, or other starches quite often. Would love some new ideas and flavors to try that are not hard to convert.

Hi Meadow
    The cookbook "Wild about Game has a lot of recipes in it that are easy to convert or just plain perfect by themselves. Some of my favorites are Venison Chili with goat cheese, or loin of venison with pureed root veggies. I also love her chapter on side dishes which have a lot of grain free recipes including my fav, Garlic custard on a bed of greens. I would say overall this is a great book for us and you can get it on Amazon for one cent plus shipping. Not bad. I must say, I never use her chapter on wild game birds or exotics animals like alligator and raccoon. But I guess, if it came down to starving or eating raccoon, I would eat a coon.

Let me know how that antelope ends up tasting. A wildlife biologist told us once that how tough the winter's are for that animal also plays a roll in how the meats will taste.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Way cool, will have to try it out if I can stick a deer, much action but no deer. A little envious of the Elk as we don't have them in Maine, only moose and they are only by lottery. Congrats to your husband, good job, bow hunting is very tough but rewarding!!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Quote Originally Posted by cavewoman cafe View Post

Let me know how that antelope ends up tasting. A wildlife biologist told us once that how tough the winter's are for that animal also plays a roll in how the meats will taste.
    Cooked up the first bit of antelope from this season tonight. Used some backstrap and made a quick stir fry with fried cauliflower rice. I did not tenderize or brine the meat. I sliced and tossed it in some amino acids (soy sauce sub) and a few seasonings, quickly cooked in a saute pan.

Result: Super tender, no gamey flavor at all. There was a SLIGHT gamey smell when I tossed it in the pan, so I was a bit worried, but tasted nothing. It was a large mature buck that was in FULL rut, running hard all day, and was in total sage country. We had the meat quartered and on ice in less then an hour after I killed it. We did not age it, had it processed and in the freezer in 24 hours.

So far, we have had some bad antelope, but it may have been our processing method as those we took a long time ago and our techniques have changed. Since then we have had 3 or 4 antelope we took ourselves, and a couple that other folks took, tasted great. The last two have been SUPER tender. I am starting to wonder if the processing is key to antelope. <shrug>

Oh, by the way, I ordered that recipe book from Amazon after you pointed it out. My first used book purchase online

(pic of the antelope I took, he is panting after non stop chasing does and other bucks)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast