Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching from Zero Carb to Primal Blueprint page

Switching from Zero Carb to Primal Blueprint

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I am a 45 YO female. I am 5'8" tall and weigh 131 lbs. I used to weigh roughly 138 lbs and fit into the same clothes. I am not as firm and muscular as I used to be. For the last two years I have been following a zero carb lifestyle eating 2 meals a day. Before that I was following a mostly Paleo diet. I am tired of eating just meat and would like to switch to the Primal Blueprint. The book, which I have not completed yet, talks a lot about going from a SAD to PB. However, I did not see anything yet regarding going from ZC to PB. My concern is that my glucose/insulin will spike and I will gain weight/fat. My goal is to lose fat and gain MUSCLE.

My size is fine but I don't like the flabbiness I have gotten especially in my thighs. What is the best way to transition back? Should I calculate my protein requirements and count protein/fat/carbs for a while staying at a certain amount of protein and carbs? I don't think I can handle being bigger AND flabby.

Does Mark ever answer posts? Does he answer questions anywhere on his site?

Thank you in advance.

Astraia Maria

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I would start by adding some non-starchy, lower carb veggies and gradually increase the amounts and type (higher carb). After a few weeks you may want to try introducing some berries and after that, a few nuts or nut products.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Mark has a separate, private forum for people who purchase the Primal Leap -
    http://primalblueprint.com/products/...-Leap-Kit.html
    - where you can contact him individually. (I have a whole lot of respect for him for maintaining this one as well.)

That gradual change Mizski suggests sounds prudent, so you can give yourself time to acclimatise. Gaining muscle... what exercise do you do?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i went from ZC to paleo/primal.... your incredibly insulin sensitive or resistant after coming of zc...so you need to figure out which one you are... my best advice is try a sweet potato on an empty stomach and see how you handle it...pre and post BS readings... if it doesnt go hay wire your prolly insulin sensitive so it is just a matter of replacing your protein/meat mass consumption with a balanced plate. if your insulin resistant then i would advise you to get VERY HIGH FAT mod carb and lower protein (look at the perfect health diet website) and fiz your insulin resistance first.

once it is repaired, if it is the case, then add carbs back like 10g a week but focs on replacing rather than 'adding' more food. i made the mistake when i switched of 'assuming' my metabolism was shot and i couldnt handle carbs and i think a lot of people here do the same thing after reading about insulin, they just shun it and are convinced they cant handle carbs... well, turns out i have no problem with carbs but more of a problem with excess protein(dry skin, constipation). either way i would say keep you fat as high as you can handle while making the switch.

and initially, remeber that as you body adjusts, 4g of water are stored for a carb vs a lot less for protein/fat so expect fluctuations on the scale while your body learns to readjust and come out of ketosis/glucogenesis

and ps- i have never made a better choice in my life. also, danny at carnivore health made the ZC to primal switch as well. you may want to check out his recent hormonal/hair health....very high fat, low protein, mod carbs based very much on nutrition with the best bang for your buck

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    oh....and about the add muscle lose fat...i mean obviously you have to allow a GOOD amount of time for the body to trust you again, but i definitely DO recommend you do some sort of mini carb refeed/low fat post workout. maybe dameonized will chime in here as he does the same thing, but it does work. it isnt a day to day thing but more of a week to week thing so keep that in mind.

dont over train*

Hi Hilary,

thank you for your reply. I had an accident two years ago and am just now getting back into exercising. I do body weight stuff - lunges, squats, (knee aka girly) push-ups, assisted pull ups, etc. walking, I try to do some HIIT but haven't worked up to full on sprints yet.

Astraia

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    i went from ZC to paleo/primal.... your incredibly insulin sensitive or resistant after coming of zc...so you need to figure out which one you are... my best advice is try a sweet potato on an empty stomach and see how you handle it...pre and post BS readings... if it doesnt go hay wire your prolly insulin sensitive so it is just a matter of replacing your protein/meat mass consumption with a balanced plate. if your insulin resistant then i would advise you to get VERY HIGH FAT mod carb and lower protein (look at the perfect health diet website) and fiz your insulin resistance first.

once it is repaired, if it is the case, then add carbs back like 10g a week but focs on replacing rather than 'adding' more food. i made the mistake when i switched of 'assuming' my metabolism was shot and i couldnt handle carbs and i think a lot of people here do the same thing after reading about insulin, they just shun it and are convinced they cant handle carbs... well, turns out i have no problem with carbs but more of a problem with excess protein(dry skin, constipation). either way i would say keep you fat as high as you can handle while making the switch.

and initially, remeber that as you body adjusts, 4g of water are stored for a carb vs a lot less for protein/fat so expect fluctuations on the scale while your body learns to readjust and come out of ketosis/glucogenesis

and ps- i have never made a better choice in my life. also, danny at carnivore health made the ZC to primal switch as well. you may want to check out his recent hormonal/hair health....very high fat, low protein, mod carbs based very much on nutrition with the best bang for your buck
    Hi MalPaz,

What would be a normal BS reading post sweet potato?
    Could you provide a link to the perfect health diet website?
    I am not familiar with it and I have a feeling I am insulin resistant.

Thank you for the reply.

Astraia

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Eat vegetables. Lots of them. You won't get fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Eat vegetables. Lots of them. You won't get fat.
    I wish...the reason I switched to ZC is BECAUSE I was getting fat on meat, fat, and veggies.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Describe the veggies you were eating.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast