Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the next book I should read? page

lizch is offline Senior Member

Question What's the next book I should read?

I've only read PB Blueprint (and cookbook) so far. I feel ready to read some more. I see various books mentioned here, but does anyone have a recommendation for the first one I should buy to supplement the PB reading?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Good calories bad calories by Gary Taubes.You can watch Gary on YouTube giving lectures etc. regarding the themes in the book.Essential viewing.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by megalodon View Post
    Good calories bad calories by Gary Taubes.You can watch Gary on YouTube giving lectures etc. regarding the themes in the book.Essential viewing.
    +1

The Perfect Health Diet - Jamet and Shih
    The Paleo Solution - Robb Wolf
    The Leptin Solution - Richards and Richards
    The Doctor's Complete Guide to Vitamins and Minerals by Mary Dan Eades (it's good but it's also 10 years old...)

And here are my favorite blogs (thanks to SerialSinner and Stabby for tipping me off to most of these)
    American Society for Evolutionary Medicine
    Cholesterol and Health - Chris Masterjohn
    Cooling Inflammation - Art Ayers, PhD
    Entropy Production
    Evolutionary Medicine Forums
    *Evolutionary Psychiatry - Emily Deans, MD
    *Healthy Skeptic - Challenging mainstream myths about nutrition, health and disease
    *Heartscan - William Davis, MD (cardiologist)
    Healthcare Epistemocrat - Brett Pottenger, MHA
    "interdisciplinary inquiries into the human condition via essays (+ ancestral health thinkering)"

Hyperlipid - Petro Dobromylskyj, DVM
    *Michael Eades, MD - a critical look at nutritional science
    *Paleo Nutrition - Kurt Harris, MD
    *Perfect Health Diet - Paul Jaminet, PhD (astrophysics) andShou-Ching Shih, PhD (molecular biology)
    *Whole Health Source - Stephan Guyenet, PhD
    *Vitamin D Council - John Cannell, MD (worth signing up for his infrequent newsletters)

Fitness related:
    *Conditioning Research
    *Mobility Workout of the Day

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I've only read PB Blueprint (and cookbook) so far. I feel ready to read some more. I see various books mentioned here, but does anyone have a recommendation for the first one I should buy to supplement the PB reading?
    To be frank, there's no real need. There's nothing of any sensational importance that you'll find in any popular Paleo/Primal books - Cordain's, Gedgaudas's, Wolf's, etc. - that isn't in Mark's.

You can always read Nutrition and Physical Degeneration for nothing, however. That's a fascinating survey of what several now-vanished or disturbed cultures were eating in the early part of the twentieth-century:

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib.../pricetoc.html

Again, you don't have to pay to read Vilhjalmur Stefansson's The Fat of the Land. People have scanned it and put it up online. Just google for it. And, again, the real anthropological data in the book make it worth reading.

localad is offline Senior Member
    'Big Fat Lies' by Hannah Sutter.

What Doc Feinman thinks of this book: ".... as an academic I have to couch my point of view in more restrained terms. If you want to know what I am thinking while I do so, read this book."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25II6QYTE915L
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith and The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf

I like to read different points of view and it never hurts to review information...there are little details I forget from time to time.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

I second (third?) Good Calories, Bad Calories. And another "primal" book (not diet related though) that I loved was "Sex at Dawn". That book really made me wish for a return to primal living.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'm about 10% through Good Calories, Bad Calories (on my new Kindle...wow, what a great gadget!)

There are so many parallels between the CW involved in diet politics, birth politics, breast cancer politics....it's all a little depressing.

And Lewis "To be frank, there's no real need"...you'd like my mom. She once said to me "You read too much!"
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Neandergirl is offline Member
    Neanderthin by Ray Audette is excellent.

Getting a Kindle for my birthday next month - can't wait! I've read the reviews and the Kindle looks like the best reader out there.
    Last edited by Neandergirl; 10-12-2010 at 03:45 PM.
    If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself
    If you want to be somebody else, Change your mind...~Sister Hazel~

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Born to Run is a great look at primal fitness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast