Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Solution Cholesterol Numbers page

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member

Paleo Solution Cholesterol Numbers

Shop Now
    I'm just about done with the Paleo Solution which I've really liked but I just have a question about his recommendations on cholesterol. He says that we're looking at having between 120-140 mg/dl for total and 40-70 for LDL. Isn't this rather low? I got the impression from GCBC and some other sources that if it's this low you're actually more at risk for stroke, cancer, etc. Anyone know what's up with this rather low recommendation?

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I was thinking of posting the exact same question. They even say you're at more risk for suicide and violent death with numbers that low. It's weird that he doesn't even address this issue -- everyone else says some version of "cholesterol above 200 isn't a problem, it's the ratios that matter." I've also never read on any forum where someone's touting their great cholesterol numbers anything anywhere near as low as that total.

My total has always been around 160 (even back when I ate high-carb low-fat) and I thought that was pretty low.....
    Last edited by PrairieProf; 10-11-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Never read the book but it sounds like the author is having a hard time believing it's not necessarily a low number that counts but the relationship (ratio) between HDL/LDL and their sub-fractions that matters. My HDL is around 105 so does that mean my LDL should be 15? I would discount the cholesterol recommendations....hopefully the rest of the book is worth the read.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    It's EXCEEDINGLY low, and a big recent study showed that women (in all age groups) with higher cholesterol numbers had lower all-cause mortality than those with lower ones.

Cholesterol is a crucially important raw material for the body, for instance, for cell membranes and also as a feedstock for steroids and Vitamin D. I think that the association of severe heart disease with extremely high cholesterol numbers (and even this association often isn't present) means that the body is making tons of cholesterol in an attempt to heal the ruined linings of the arteries, so it's a result, not a cause.

I think in the future, once doctors have given up today's CW thinking about cholesterol, a dangerous inheritance of Ancel Keys's stupid theories, that people will probably try to get their cholesterol numbers up if they are low. At that time, they will look back in horrified fascination to the time when doctors PRESCRIBED statins, which will be viewed as the metabolic poisons they are.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I agree with p-d-l. The horrible thing is, we've been here before, with tobacco. Doctors prescribed tobacco to help people curb appetite and lose weight - even to pregnant women! "Have a Lucky instead of a sweet," was the advertising jingle. How screwed up is that?

It's time for us to expose this for what it is - lies and deliberate ignorance.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    It's EXCEEDINGLY low, and a big recent study showed that women (in all age groups) with higher cholesterol numbers had lower all-cause mortality than those with lower ones.

Cholesterol is a crucially important raw material for the body, for instance, for cell membranes and also as a feedstock for steroids and Vitamin D. I think that the association of severe heart disease with extremely high cholesterol numbers (and even this association often isn't present) means that the body is making tons of cholesterol in an attempt to heal the ruined linings of the arteries, so it's a result, not a cause.

I think in the future, once doctors have given up today's CW thinking about cholesterol, a dangerous inheritance of Ancel Keys's stupid theories, that people will probably try to get their cholesterol numbers up if they are low. At that time, they will look back in horrified fascination to the time when doctors PRESCRIBED statins, which will be viewed as the metabolic poisons they are.
    +1

My cardiologist wanted me to get my total cholesterol to below 4.0 mmol/L (155mg/dL). Haven't seen a recommendation from the conventional medical community to go lower. My last reading was 5.8 mmol/L and I'm very comfortable with that. Its a little higher than it was when I had a heart attack, but I now have a much healthier lifestyle

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Peril, I totally agree. If you have good magnesium status, take enough Vitamin D3, get enough folic acid, and take CoQ10, that will do a tremendous amount for your heart.

155 is down at those levels where people die more often of violence and suicide. Cholesterol is needed for "feel-good" chemicals in the brain. Depression (along with neuropathy, muscle breakdown, and osteoporosis) is associated with statin use.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Hunter gatherers usually have/had quite low cholesterol compared to "civilised" people. Not sure why..... Could be something to do with pollution, stress or something....

But the research says that people with thee lowest cholesterol do have the highest all cause mortality rate, so using something like statins is pretty short-sighted. They die more of cancer, suicide, violent deaths, they are more anti-social, have more strokes etc. People with low cholesterol still have heart attacks as well.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muaythaimike View Post
    Hunter gatherers usually have/had quite low cholesterol compared to "civilised" people. Not sure why..... Could be something to do with pollution, stress or something....
    This is probably spot-on. In an indilic envirnonment one could assume that your need for constant and continual tissue repair would be less. Pollution and fabricated (ie work, financial, etc.) stress probably play a huge role in cellular death.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My all time low overall total cholesterol reading (during a statin regimen ) about 2 years back,was 108mg/dl.Since going primal 5 months ago,and ditching the statins,my overall cholesterol stands at 235 mg/dl.

This has improved my ratios tremendously,trigs have halfed ,hdl doubled which probably means my ldl (135 mg/dl Iranian ) is of the better ,fluffy variety.

What Griff signs off his post with is bang on.It IS time for us to do all we can in stopping the lies and ignorance of this severely flawed hypothesis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast