Thread: calories don't match up to macronutrients page

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

We've got these italian ice ice-cream cups. The box and the nutrition label boast 60 calories.. but there are 20 g carbs, none of which are fiber, and 0 everything else. Shouldn't that be 80 calories? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone looking at this package and not knowing what's going on. Any ideas on how this is possible or if it's a mistake?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

halloween,

60 or 80...I wouldn't do it ;-)

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Ah but of course. I was wondering if maybe the different types of sugar have different calories per gram or something. My obsession with analyzing nutrition labels won't let this one go..

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

The carb labeling is a disaster. Apparently, they test for dietary fiber and starch and whatever is left over is presumed to be sugar. Or, did I mix that up, sugar and starch.

Anyway, that's why the numbers often don't make sense. It seems to me that every product should list all three subcategories by test, not "what's left over."

I recently read this on a page about sugars in yogurt, that's it's really only 1/3 of what they say. Of course, that's presuming no added sugar.

Karin Guest

That's what happens when they let the lawyers write the rules for nutrition labels...