Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter sprinting? page

alydar is offline Member

Winter sprinting?

Ugh! Blech! Blah! *grumble, grumble, grumble* = my feelings about winter. Hate it. Hate the cold. Hate coats, boots, gloves, hats...the whole nine yards. But I gotta sprint, somehow. So, if you can't stand being outside during the cold months how do you get your sprints in? Joining a gym isn't an option for me so I'm looking for some in-house ideas.

If it comes down to having to go outside in order to get this part of my week in I will I suppose (starts grumbling again)...but if I don't have to I'd be much more pleasant to live with. lol

Annika is offline Senior Member
    If you live somewhere snowy, snowshoeing in deep, ungroomed snow will get your heart rate way up, and fast.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Anything to get yourself panting and sweaty should work. I get mine in from doing a workout DVD (Jillian Micheals 30-Day Shred.) I just give it everything and it's as exhausting as a sprint session. I'd much rather run, but this seems to get the job done.

Occasionally I use trips to the store as a time to sprint- mostly to get my azz in out of the cold as quickly as possible.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    You can do burpees indoors or any movement interval-style. God I love burpees. I always get sore afterwards

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    Sprinting in fresh and deep snow is great.

You can also do stair sprints if you have a stair case in your house.

Or you could alternate squat jumps and push ups with no resting for as long as you can bear.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Ah! Tabata-style shoveling! I almost forgot. I love snow shoveling....
    Wow I sound narcissistic today!

alydar is offline Member
    No snow here.......just miserable, damp, chill-you-to-the-bone cold. My attitude might actually be different if the cold produced something pretty like snow but alas....

I just discovered the existance of burpees (those could definitely work!) and I like the squat/push-up idea.

Thanks!

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    When I was in the army, we did a bunch of sprints in the snow across the field. They were brutal, but the workout only took 10 minutes. Give it a shot and think like a caveman running to catch dinner for a freezing child.

I second snow shoeing, it is a great movement and you would be very surprised at how quickly you feel like death when running.

Then there is running on the spot. Approach it like a sprint for 15 seconds with high knees and drive the arms. Rest 30 seconds and repeat about 10 times.

Skipping double unders are much harder than they look. Try tabata style skipping or unbroken sets of 30-40 revolutions.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    If you have a garage, or a high ceiling you can also jump rope. Or do dumbbell thrusters, those will kick your butt!

AdrianBryant is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    what's your obstacle? the cold, snow or the terrain?

I do my sprints on a road hill anyway during summer or winter
    I actually help people look good naked. Seriously, I do this for a living and have fun doing it! Don't believe me? See the people I've helped for free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast