Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Iodine

Shop Now
    How much iodine do people here supplement with?
    What form? (Iodine/kelp; potassium iodide; etc)

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the RDA of 150 micrograms is nowhere near enough, but that due to the immune response of crap diet, any more than that is bad for the thyroid. Someone will be able to phrase it better than that I'm sure!

If your diet is as good as someone who follows PB rules, would you need to supplement more?

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Why would you supplement if you use iodized salt?

My understanding is that iodine deficiency vanished in the U.S. in the 20th century because of the addition of iodine to foods, especially salt. It seems to me that if you're not eating processed foods (which I avoid), then iodized salt would be recommended.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and any supplemental iodine is bad for me, so I think people should be cautious about supplementing with iodine (or anything) unless they know for sure that they have a need.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Salt isn't fortified in the UK.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    It seems to me that if you're not eating processed foods (which I avoid), then iodized salt would be recommended.
    I've been wondering about iodine myself. I've been eating whole foods for over a year and occasionally use a little sea salt (which is not iodized) and wonder if I should be adding some in.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    The kind of iodine in iodized salt isn't the best absorbed kind and iodine deficiency is pretty widespread (at least in the US where it's not in our topsoil).The Japanse consume and average of around 12 mg (as in 12,000 mcg) iodine/day due to their seafood/seaweed consumption.

I had an iodine challenge/excretion test a few years ago and was put on Iodoral (the pill form of Lugol's) but I haven't taken it in a long time (and I'm awaiting results of some thyroid antibody tests- like Emmie said, iodine is a no-no if someone has Hashimoto's!)

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I take in 220 mg every two days from a supplement or if I'm ever feeling a little sick (along with Vit. C/Vit D/glutamine). It's more of a precaution than anything I guess.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Dextery is offline Senior Member
    I take it that this thread is a replacement for the monster Iodine thread that was closed 7/31?

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextery View Post
    I take it that this thread is a replacement for the monster Iodine thread that was closed 7/31?
    Oh no, Iodine...

This one was made at least a year before the gigantic iodine thread according to the timestamps, but it's bumped now.

Here was the other discussion...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63393.html

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    i supplement potassium iodine with one tablet every day and also add some himalayan sea salt to food.

it is really hard to get iodine in the uk, particularly if you eat clean foods.

it has been a good experience for me.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

ragwort is offline Senior Member
    Hi

I take a sea kelp tablet daily for the same reason ... but not sure how effective it is?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast