Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Iodine page 9

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    I just started SSKI iodine drops suggested by my doctor. I am just a little confused because I have read on this thread and elsewhere that iodine is not good for hashimotos. I dont have autoimmune but just have hypothyroid, so wondering if it can actually be beneficial for me. I also heard through other sources that iodine supplements can really help.
    @@ VeggieLover,
    You heard correctly, but only half the story. They lie by hiding the facts. Iodine requires selenium or else there is very likely to be thyroid problems.
    Health Related Articles - Thyroid Health - Interactions Between Selenium and Iodine

I am thrilled to hear that your doc has recommended SSKI instead of thyroid meds ! Here is a great doc in a field of shysters!
    SSKI stands for Super Saturated Potassium Iodide. In other words it is pure potassium iodide at the maximum possible dose per drop. Unfortunately SSKI contains NO iodine, and your body requires BOTH iodine & iodide. By definition, Lugols & iodoral contain both. SSKI is perfect for the thyroid, so your doc did his job for your thyroid, but neglected the rest of your body... not so good.
    * Our body requires both iodine AND iodide (lugols iodine & iodoral capsules recommended)
    - - - Iodine is used by the prostate + Stomach
    - - - Iodide (SSKI) is used by the thyroid + skin + Salivary
    - - - kidneys, spleen, liver, blood, breasts & intestines can use either form
    Thyroid needs 3% prefers iodide (50mg iodine)
    Skin needs 20% and prefers iodide
    Salivary Glands prefer iodide
    Muscles (650mg) and fat needs(700mg iodine) 70%
    Breast tissue needs 3-5 mg / day minimum and prefers iodine
    Prostate prefers iodine
    Stomach prefers iodine
    Lungs prefer iodide
    Entire body stores 1500 mg 1.5 gm total

In order to achieve optimal health, you should switch to iodoral or Lugols, and inform your doctor that your body needs both iodine & iodide. You also need to take required co-supplements to get toxins out of your cells & iodine into your cells. The Dr. Brownstein Protocol is ideal for this:
    http://tinyurl.com/Iodine-Handout

The toxins of fluoride, bromide & chlorine have displaced the iodine in our cells, thyroid included:
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages
    This is why iodine deficiency is an epidemic in the USA. We live in a sea of these toxins, in our bread, food, water, cars, mattresses, furniture. We need to do the Brownstein Iodine Protocol to rid our bodies of these toxins.

Female organs are especially vulnerable to disease from iodine deficiency. Why we need iodine and the many health problems that result from iodine deficiency.
    Fibrocystic Breasts, Fibromyalgia, PCOS, Endo Cysts+fibroids,
    Prostate Problems, Prostate, Thyroid , Migraines, Depression, CFS, Cancers
    and a Pandoras Box of additional health problems.

@@ Barnyard
    So Grizz, here are my concerns.....what I'm hearing from you, and others, is that our seafood is contaminated with Mercury and Arsenic, and possibly radiation, and unsafe to eat, and as a result Kelp is contaminated too, and the ONLY way to get proper Iodine supplementation is to use Lugols or Iodoral....I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that. Taking it even further, our meat supplies and dairy supplies are coming from antibiotic and hormone-infused and grain fed animals (contaminated), our fruits and veggies are contaminated with pesticides.....so unless I buy organic, those are unsafe also, or unhealthy at best, and I can't always afford to buy organic and local farm-raised food.....what's a person to do?!?!?!

Side note: I try to limit any supplements, as I choose to believe I should be able to get anything I need from proper food choices.....Grok didn't have supplements! I know, we live in a different world today, but I'm just sayin....
    Great questions. Grok was not exposed to the sea of toxins that we live in called Goitrogens that displace vital iodine from our cells.
    Grok didn't live in a land where vital minerals have been depleted in farmlands & soil. The seafood that Grok ate was not contaminated from pollution, and the fruits & veggies got their required minerals including iodine from the soil. Even today, Japanese & some other wise farmers add seaweed to their gardens. Grok did not have to suffer from toxic pesticides & defoliants that seep into groundwater. If you don't think you are deficient iodine, I suggest you take the Urine Loading test to prove to yourself that you need to take supplements:
    Hakala Research - Home
    But also include the Fluoride & Bromide tests to see how toxic you are from the sea of toxins we live in.

It is not possible to eat enough seafood to detox the fluoride & bromide that have taken over our iodine receptors.
    We must cope with a toxic world the best we can. This includes doing the Dr. Browstein Iodine Protocol and monitoring our body pH level:
    http://tinyurl.com/Iodine-Handout
    There is more we can do to keep toxins out of our body, but that is for others to discuss. I am only focusing on iodine which is a major Pandemic in the USA. Be sure to read this book on the iodine crises which explains it all perfectly:
    The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life: Lynne Farrow, David Brownstein MD: 9780986032004: Amazon.com: Books

More here:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Grizz

middlepath is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    So Grizz, here are my concerns.....what I'm hearing from you, and others, is that our seafood is contaminated with Mercury and Arsenic, and possibly radiation, and unsafe to eat, and as a result Kelp is contaminated too, and the ONLY way to get proper Iodine supplementation is to use Lugols or Iodoral....I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that. Taking it even further, our meat supplies and dairy supplies are coming from antibiotic and hormone-infused and grain fed animals (contaminated), our fruits and veggies are contaminated with pesticides.....so unless I buy organic, those are unsafe also, or unhealthy at best, and I can't always afford to buy organic and local farm-raised food.....what's a person to do?!?!?!
    I hear that. Unless you are creative or rich, it's hard to eat clean. There are articles on this and Robb Wolf has a Paleo-on-the-cheap guide (not sure if it's free). Consider buying a secondhand stand-alone freezer and then see if you can go in with neighbors on meat directly from local farms that are doing it the right way. Maybe consider hunting. Environmental Working Group has a list of most pesticide-contaminated produce so pick the least contaminated ones, like broccoli, to buy conventional and buy the most contaminated ones, like peppers, organic. See if there is a local CSA where you can buy a produce box delivered to you (and maybe go in on it with neighbors.) Eat seasonally. Anything that has to travel a long distance because it's out of season where you live, will be more expensive. Grow some of your own food, if possible. Eat more eggs and canned wild salmon, less meat. Speaking of factory, misery-meat: 9 Nastiest Things In the Meat You Eat | Alternet

We should be able to get clean food at a reasonable price but that's not reality right now.

The only problem is that Pacific seaweed is often filled with the radioactive form of iodine due to several recent events. Seaweed is still good, but Atlantic-sourced seaweed is preferred. Besides, there are several North Atlantic species of kelp that together make up the most iodine-rich sources of seaweed known. Now THAT'S stuff I think we all should eat from time-to-time.

LOL....I did the exact same thing.....mine is Kelp caps from Natures Way in Wisconsin....gonna have to call them and ask where they get their kelp
    Fortunately, my brand, Maine Coast Kelp Granules, looks good as far as purity goes. Not only do they collect from "remote areas in the Gulf of Maine", they also conduct purity tests for heavy metals, pesticides/herbicides, radiation, petroleum residues, microbial contaminants, and PCBs. Testing & Purity : Maine Coast Sea Vegetables, Sustainably Harvested and Certified Organic

But, thank you for mentioning it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Kelp Toxicity
    Arsenic toxicity is a potential adverse effect from kelp supplement use, according to a study published in the April 2007 issue of the journal "Environmental Health Perspectives." The study reported on a case of arsenic poisoning that came about over two years of use with worsening symptoms including hair and memory loss, rash, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. The patient's urine arsenic level was 1.5 times the upper limit and her kelp supplements contained 8.5 mg per kg of arsenic. Symptoms resolved within weeks of stopping the supplement use.........
    .......Also, it is essential to get enough selenium. Iodine without selenium can damage the thyroid:
    Health Related Articles - Thyroid Health - Interactions Between Selenium and Iodine

Best to all,
    Grizz
    (note Grizz's original post has been shortened here)

Thanks for all the great info, Grizz! Will be reading up on all your links!
    Last edited by middlepath; 09-30-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by middlepath View Post
    Fortunately, my brand, Maine Coast Kelp Granules, looks good as far as purity goes. Not only do they collect from "remote areas in the Gulf of Maine", they also conduct purity tests for heavy metals, pesticides/herbicides, radiation, petroleum residues, microbial contaminants, and PCBs. Testing & Purity : Maine Coast Sea Vegetables, Sustainably Harvested and Certified Organic

But, thank you for mentioning it!
    Thanks for the info mid, Drumroll said they can confirm that my kelp is Atlantic sourced....this whole Iodine thing has me intrigued!
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by middlepath View Post
    I hear that. Unless you are creative or rich, it's hard to eat clean. There are articles on this and Robb Wolf has a Paleo-on-the-cheap guide (not sure if it's free). Consider buying a secondhand stand-alone freezer and then see if you can go in with neighbors on meat directly from local farms that are doing it the right way. Maybe consider hunting. Environmental Working Group has a list of most pesticide-contaminated produce so pick the least contaminated ones, like broccoli, to buy conventional and buy the most contaminated ones, like peppers, organic. See if there is a local CSA where you can buy a produce box delivered to you (and maybe go in on it with neighbors.) Eat seasonally. Anything that has to travel a long distance because it's out of season where you live, will be more expensive. Grow some of your own food, if possible. Eat more eggs and canned wild salmon, less meat. Speaking of factory, misery-meat: 9 Nastiest Things In the Meat You Eat | Alternet

We should be able to get clean food at a reasonable price but that's not reality right now.
    I am never quite sure how much of that stuff to believe (Nastiest things in meat.....) and how seriously to take it....someone with an agenda is publishing, and I must admit I am too lazy to check sources.....ahh, hell I just don't know....
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Grizz is offline Banned
    * Toxins in our food, water & environment displace iodine out of our cells to make us deficient
    - - - Chemical halogens (similar to iodine ) = fluoride, bromine, bromides, and chlorine.
    - - - Pseudo-iodides such as perchlorate, nitrate and thiocyanate cyanate, & pertechnate.
    - - - Taking iodine supplements forces these toxins into the bloodstream (detox)
    - - - Too many toxins in the blood causes Detox Symptoms (temporary illness)
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.fp20x8gse42p

Grizz

I am never quite sure how much of that stuff to believe (Nastiest things in meat.....) and how seriously to take it....someone with an agenda is publishing, and I must admit I am too lazy to check sources.....ahh, hell I just don't know....
    That's a valid point. It was originally linked through the Organic Consumers Association newsletter which gave it some credibility for me. I usually think of the "agenda", though, as being with producers who want to produce more cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    * Toxins in our food, water & environment displace iodine out of our cells to make us deficient
    - - - Chemical halogens (similar to iodine ) = fluoride, bromine, bromides, and chlorine.
    - - - Pseudo-iodides such as perchlorate, nitrate and thiocyanate cyanate, & pertechnate.
    - - - Taking iodine supplements forces these toxins into the bloodstream (detox)
    - - - Too many toxins in the blood causes Detox Symptoms (temporary illness)
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.fp20x8gse42p

Grizz
    Thanks, Grizz. Looks like I have a lot to look into here but it's always worth it when we're talking about enjoying optimum health.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the info mid, Drumroll said they can confirm that my kelp is Atlantic sourced....this whole Iodine thing has me intrigued!
    Well I didn't call Nature's Way and ask them or anything like that. They said what species of kelp they use on the bottle though and I looked up where that species grows. It only grows in Northern Atlantic waters from my research.

And this is a far better choice than Pacific seaweed due to several recent "radioactive" events around the Pacific coasts of several countries. There hasn't been an incident like those near the Atlantic any time recently from my memory and research.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast