Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine page 8

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by toscamulder View Post
    Just eat your sushi!

Or other seaweed-y thing.
    Yup, bout once a week do this. Eat some eggs and seafood on occasion. Then you can just ignore this infomercial of a thread.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yup, bout once a week do this. Eat some eggs and seafood on occasion. Then you can just ignore this infomercial of a thread.
    The only problem is that Pacific seaweed is often filled with the radioactive form of iodine due to several recent events. Seaweed is still good, but Atlantic-sourced seaweed is preferred. Besides, there are several North Atlantic species of kelp that together make up the most iodine-rich sources of seaweed known. Now THAT'S stuff I think we all should eat from time-to-time.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

middlepath is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    The only problem is that Pacific seaweed is often filled with the radioactive form of iodine due to several recent events. Seaweed is still good, but Atlantic-sourced seaweed is preferred. Besides, there are several North Atlantic species of kelp that together make up the most iodine-rich sources of seaweed known. Now THAT'S stuff I think we all should eat from time-to-time.
    Shit, I never thought about that. *runs to check kelp granules bottle*

Barnyard is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by middlepath View Post
    Shit, I never thought about that. *runs to check kelp granules bottle*
    LOL....I did the exact same thing.....mine is Kelp caps from Natures Way in Wisconsin....gonna have to call them and ask where they get their kelp
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I can confirm that Nature's Way uses Atlantic kelp.

This is the species they use:

Ascophyllum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It grows of the northeast coast of the U.S. and Canada as well as of the western coast of England and on up to Scandanavia. All Atlantic waters.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Yeah, I can't speak as to where everyone else gets their iodine..... I get mine from seafood (oysers, mussels, fish, and yes sushi from where the seaweed comes I do not know ). Might have to ask the sushi chef where its from now! I have raw dairy, yogurt, and such that is likely to have a good amount per serving. And of course a ton of eggs.

iodine

Grizz is offline Banned
    Kelp Toxicity
    Arsenic toxicity is a potential adverse effect from kelp supplement use, according to a study published in the April 2007 issue of the journal "Environmental Health Perspectives." The study reported on a case of arsenic poisoning that came about over two years of use with worsening symptoms including hair and memory loss, rash, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. The patient's urine arsenic level was 1.5 times the upper limit and her kelp supplements contained 8.5 mg per kg of arsenic. Symptoms resolved within weeks of stopping the supplement use. The researchers also found eight out of nine randomly sampled commercially available kelp supplements obtained from health food stores contained levels of arsenic higher than the Food and Drug Administration tolerance level of 0.5 to 2 parts per million.
    Read more: What Side Effects Does Ingesting Too Much Kelp Produce? | LIVESTRONG.COM
    [Arsenic contamination in imported sea fish ... [Vet Med (Praha). 1976] - PubMed - NCBI

Mercury Contamination In Seafood
    Mercury Levels in Commercial Fish and Shellfish (1990-2010)

Radiation Contamination In Pacific Seafood & getting worse by the week
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...QK_KzvG4/edit#

The biggest problem with seafood & natural sources is that we can't get enough iodine to detox the the Bromide, Fluoride & Chlorine that have contaminated our iodine receptors. Iodine as a nutrient has difficulty helping us stay healthy. This difficulty is due to iodine being easily replaced by its relatives fluoride, bromide and chlorine that act as goitrogens. The periodic table helps us understand how this can happen. Details here:
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages

It took 25mg of iodine before my prostate problems started clearing up last year. Details in the official iodine thread in my sig area below. It is impossible for anyone to eat enough seafood to get 25mg of iodine per day. You need both iodine & potassium iodide in your body for optimal health:
    - - - Iodine is used by the prostate + Stomach
    - - - Iodide (SSKI) is used by the thyroid + skin + Salivary
    - - - kidneys, spleen, liver, blood, breasts & intestines can use either form
    Thyroid needs 3% prefers iodide (50mg iodine)
    Skin needs 20% and prefers iodide
    Salivary Glands prefer iodide
    Muscles (650mg) and fat needs(700mg iodine) 70%
    Breast tissue needs 3-5 mg / day minimum and prefers iodine
    Prostate prefers iodine
    Stomach prefers iodine
    Lungs prefer iodide
    Entire body stores 1500 mg 1.5 gm total

My wife is on 12mg a day of pure iodoral tablets to keep her breasts free of Fibrocystic Breast Disease and I am on 50mg a day to keep my prostate happy.

See our testimonials for the amazing health benefits from detoxing and getting enough iodine. Many of those are from Marks Daily Apple.
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-testimonials

Also, it is essential to get enough selenium. Iodine without selenium can damage the thyroid:
    Health Related Articles - Thyroid Health - Interactions Between Selenium and Iodine

Best to all,
    Grizz

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    I just started SSKI iodine drops suggested by my doctor. I am just a little confused because I have read on this thread and elsewhere that iodine is not good for hashimotos. I dont have autoimmune but just have hypothyroid, so wondering if it can actually be beneficial for me. I also heard through other sources that iodine supplements can really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Kelp Toxicity
    Arsenic toxicity is a potential adverse effect from kelp supplement use, according to a study published in the April 2007 issue of the journal "Environmental Health Perspectives." The study reported on a case of arsenic poisoning that came about over two years of use with worsening symptoms including hair and memory loss, rash, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. The patient's urine arsenic level was 1.5 times the upper limit and her kelp supplements contained 8.5 mg per kg of arsenic. Symptoms resolved within weeks of stopping the supplement use. The researchers also found eight out of nine randomly sampled commercially available kelp supplements obtained from health food stores contained levels of arsenic higher than the Food and Drug Administration tolerance level of 0.5 to 2 parts per million.
    Read more: What Side Effects Does Ingesting Too Much Kelp Produce? | LIVESTRONG.COM
    [Arsenic contamination in imported sea fish ... [Vet Med (Praha). 1976] - PubMed - NCBI

The biggest problem with seafood & natural sources is that we can't get enough iodine to detox the the Bromide, Fluoride & Chlorine that have contaminated our iodine receptors. Iodine as a nutrient has difficulty helping us stay healthy. This difficulty is due to iodine being easily replaced by its relatives fluoride, bromide and chlorine that act as goitrogens. The periodic table helps us understand how this can happen. Details here:

It took 25mg of iodine before my prostate problems started clearing up last year. Details in the official iodine thread in my sig area below. It is impossible for anyone to eat enough seafood to get 25mg of iodine per day. You need both iodine & potassium iodide in your body for optimal health:
    Prostate prefers iodine
    Stomach prefers iodine
    Lungs prefer iodide

My wife is on 12mg a day of pure iodoral tablets to keep her breasts free of Fibrocystic Breast Disease and I am on 50mg a day to keep my prostate happy.

See our testimonials for the amazing health benefits from detoxing and getting enough iodine. Many of those are from Marks Daily Apple.

Also, it is essential to get enough selenium. Iodine without selenium can damage the thyroid:
    Health Related Articles - Thyroid Health - Interactions Between Selenium and Iodine

Best to all,
    Grizz
    So Grizz, here are my concerns.....what I'm hearing from you, and others, is that our seafood is contaminated with Mercury and Arsenic, and possibly radiation, and unsafe to eat, and as a result Kelp is contaminated too, and the ONLY way to get proper Iodine supplementation is to use Lugols or Iodoral....I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that. Taking it even further, our meat supplies and dairy supplies are coming from antibiotic and hormone-infused and grain fed animals (contaminated), our fruits and veggies are contaminated with pesticides.....so unless I buy organic, those are unsafe also, or unhealthy at best, and I can't always afford to buy organic and local farm-raised food.....what's a person to do?!?!?!

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Kelp Toxicity

Prostate prefers iodine
    Stomach prefers iodine
    Lungs prefer iodide

Best to all,
    Grizz
    So Grizz, here are my concerns.....what I'm hearing from you, and others, is that our seafood is contaminated with Mercury and Arsenic, and possibly radiation, and unsafe to eat, and as a result Kelp is contaminated too, and the ONLY way to get proper Iodine supplementation is to use Lugols or Iodoral....I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that. Taking it even further, our meat supplies and dairy supplies are coming from antibiotic and hormone-infused and grain fed animals (contaminated), our fruits and veggies are contaminated with pesticides.....so unless I buy organic, those are unsafe also, or unhealthy at best, and I can't always afford to buy organic and local farm-raised food.....what's a person to do?!?!?!

Side note: I try to limit any supplements, as I choose to believe I should be able to get anything I need from proper food choices.....Grok didn't have supplements! I know, we live in a different world today, but I'm just sayin....
    Last edited by Barnyard; 09-30-2013 at 05:00 AM.

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast