Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine page 4

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I get 100mcg in my vitamin supplement (one of Mark's, Advanced Health Formula), and add kelp (kombu) to soups and such. We use sea salt, not iodized salt.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    This is one of those health subjects that perplex me. It seems like if you have too much suddenly, you're boned. Too little suddenly, and you are also boned. Yet nothing seems to give you warning enough to back away from the edge. How does a human stay balanced, then?

M.
    Iodine is a bio-accumulative. The parts of the body that need it, particularly the thyroid, grab onto it and hold it in the body until it is needed. This is a lot like the heavy metals like mercury that are extremely tough to "detox" from your system. Because your body holds onto it until it is needed, the occasional megadose of iodine is rarely a problem. It is when you megadose all day, every day that you have issues. Your body can't get rid of the excess iodine fast enough so it sends the thyroid into overdrive, I suspect, to help use up the excess iodine quicker which can lead to damage over the long term.

I think the FDA's "recommended daily allowance" for iodine is a quack. That paints the picture that we need to get a certain amount of iodine daily. But we don't "flush out" iodine on a daily basis like we do with most vitamins and many of the electrolyte minerals that we need to replenish on a daily basis. Just get some seaweed in your diet once or twice a week, a few eggs too, you should be solid.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    You guys are all idiots. Iodine will leak minerals from the bones if you consume too much. If you go backpacking, you often take iodine tablets to cleanse water. It's well known that drinking this water for too long is really bad for the body.

Don't believe the pseudoscience out there.
    I love how you lump us all into the same category as Grizz here even though he's been doing his own thing on this forum here for God knows how long now.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I love how you lump us all into the same category as Grizz here even though he's been doing his own thing on this forum here for God knows how long now.
    Judging by your last post, I don't put you in that group. Anyone who supplements iodine regularly (or arguably at all), though, is.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    You guys are all idiots. Iodine will leak minerals from the bones if you consume too much. If you go backpacking, you often take iodine tablets to cleanse water. It's well known that drinking this water for too long is really bad for the body.

I think most of us today were disagreeing with Grizz, so how does that make us idiots? I don't believe in taking large doses of anything and prefer to get what I need from food.

Judging by your last post, I don't put you in that group. Anyone who supplements iodine regularly (or arguably at all), though, is.
    I have a bottle of good kelp extract for weeks where I don't get any seaweed. But I take maybe one pill on those weeks. So that bottle's going to last me a LOOOOOOONG time.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Mightymouse (think that was username) just had a very poor reaction to doing the iodine bit. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread91665.html

Its definitely not all roses and good feelings. Personally I just order a seaweed salad with sushi and eat seafood a couple times a week.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-19-2013 at 07:55 PM.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I have a bottle of good kelp extract for weeks where I don't get any seaweed. But I take maybe one pill on those weeks. So that bottle's going to last me a LOOOOOOONG time.
    Why do you think it's necessary?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    yeah i've told grizz before i supp with iodine and i still have pcos

seems he didn't believe me, he's still adding pcos to the list of maladies cured
    Bloodorchid,

I believe you. There are people who simply don't respond to iodine. They can't get iodine into their cells, and the toxins won't come out. Since last year when we discussed your problem this subject has come up: See this site:
    You could have a possible iodine absorption defect. If a patient has a normal or high Loading Test score in the
    presence of known iodine deficiency condition such as breast or thyroid disease, a defect in the
    Sodium Iodide Symporter (NIS) mechanism is suspected. The iodine taken during the loading
    test may pass into the urine unabsorbed giving a false normal reading. Follow your physician's
    iodine dosing carefully to see how the iodine test result changes.
    Iodine Therapy Guidelines
    PCOS is a known iodine deficiency symptom and this could be the reason why you didn't respond.

See your iodine doctor. Here is a listing of trained iodine doctors:
    Iodine Literate Practitoners Directory

Here is more on the Sodium Iodide Symporter (NIS) mechanism:
    Symporter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-iodide_symporter
    thyroid_NIS_symporter

Here is where to get this special iodine testing:
    Hakala Research - Home

There is another reason why you may not be absorbing iodine. Your urine pH could be well into the acidic area. If your pH is below 6.0 then your body has a hard time absorbing minerals. Most Americans test down toward a 5.0 pH which is 100 times too acidic (Acidosis). Do your urine pH test to see where you are. It should be near 7.0. Use this list to boost your pH if you are acidic
    Top 12 Ways to Make your Body More Alkaline | Icon Performance Online v3

So you do have options, the rest is up to you and your iodine doctor,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 08-19-2013 at 09:11 PM.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

and you're a dink, but i still like you
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast