Because I'm a Type 2 diabetic, I'm always looking for ways to have filling Primal meals that don't put me over my 20g per day of carbohydrates. Picking veggies with some fiber to them helps a little.

Creamy Dijon Pork and Vegetables

4 3 oz. pork rib chops, bone-in, 1" thick

1 cup eggplant, cut into 1" cubes

1 cup yellow onion, sliced into 1" strips

1 cup green bell pepper, chopped small

1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced

3 TB unsalted butter

2 TB olive oil

Pepper

1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

1 tsp dried basil leaves

2 TB white wine

2/3 cup water or chicken stock

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 TB Dijon mustard

Melt 2 TB butter in heated skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Season chops on both sides with pepper and add to pan. Cook 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan.

Add olive oil to pan drippings and turn heat to high. When oil is hot, add all vegetables. Saute' for 5-6 minutes until onions and peppers have softened, eggplant is golden, and mushrooms are releasing juice. Season with pepper, cinnamon and basil, and add white wine. Deglaze any bits in bottom of pan.

Add water or chicken stock to pan. Place chops on top of vegetables, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 6-8 minutes or until chops are cooked through. Remove chops again, and turn heat up to high. Boil remaining ingredients in pan until liquid reduces by half. Add heavy cream, mustard and parsley, and stir to combine. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, until sauce again reduces by half. Place chops on top of sauce to re-warm, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Place chops on plates and pour sauce over them.

Serves 4.

Nutrition Information per serving:

Calories: 436

Fat: 33g

Cholesterol: 68mg

Sodium: 222mg

Carbs: 11g

Sugars: 3g

Fiber: 2g

Protein: 23g