Thread: Delayed Low Carb Flu? page

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member

Delayed Low Carb Flu?

Has anyone ever heard of low carb flu hitting with a delay? I'm a month into PB, and despite nine hours of sleep a night, plenty of fat, and lots of smart choices I'm just HIT with fatigue this week.

isaboblue is offline Senior Member
    I haven't heard of carb flu delays...how're your calories? You may need to eat more fat or have you maybe reduced your carbs to lower levels?
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

netbum is offline Member
    Yes, it happened that way with me. It lasted about two weeks.

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Not sure about carb flu per se, but a month or two into PB diet I started getting sick. Normally I get a cold or two per year. In a 4 week period I got 3 colds. That's not TOO crazy, but the manner in which the colds unfolded were quite bizarre. Each time I would start to feel a little sluggish for a day or two, with a little bit of sore throat, and then BAM! I had a fever of 102-104. The fever would last for maybe 6-12 hours. The next morning I would feel 100% fine except for a lingering mild sore throat. I had never experienced illnesses like that in my entire life, so it was especially strange that it happened thrice in a month.

No idea whether it was related to PB or not. It was definitely weird though.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big L View Post
    Not sure about carb flu per se, but a month or two into PB diet I started getting sick. Normally I get a cold or two per year. In a 4 week period I got 3 colds. That's not TOO crazy, but the manner in which the colds unfolded were quite bizarre. Each time I would start to feel a little sluggish for a day or two, with a little bit of sore throat, and then BAM! I had a fever of 102-104. The fever would last for maybe 6-12 hours. The next morning I would feel 100% fine except for a lingering mild sore throat. I had never experienced illnesses like that in my entire life, so it was especially strange that it happened thrice in a month.

No idea whether it was related to PB or not. It was definitely weird though.
    99.99% certain that is just a coincidence, I would not relate it to the PB diet in my opinion.

Also, it is possible to have "carb flu" at any point in the process as everyone's body handles carbs differently and has different levels of sensitivity to insulin. I know I personally sit on the cusp of ketosis some weeks because I start to feel lethargic and muddy, but as soon as I eat some fruit and sweet potatoes the next day I'm back to normal.

I don't do it on purpose, but sometimes my food will be very high protein and very low carb for an extended period of time just due to circumstance or not paying attention and the funky feeling kicks in.

Basically, track your carb intake tighter or piss on some ketostix and you'll know whats happening. I know that if I keep my carbs around between 80 - 120 I can go like machine and not worry about that flu feeling.

I rambled, I hope this makes some kind of sense.

edit:
    I'm also drunk as shit I just drank a couple Norcal Margaritas (THANKS ROBB WOLF!)
    2 shots vodka
    lime juice
    soda water
    over ice