Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light drinking no risk to baby, say researchers page 2

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    First trimester: If I even think about having a drink, I'll puke.
    Second trimester: Oh, look how civilized a nice glass of wine would be. Too bad I'm pregnant!
    Third trimester: God, I need a drink.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    We have a good friend who is an Obstetrician. She drank the occasional glass of wine during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters with her 2nd. It was really funny to see her school two gossipy women sitting at a table behind her one day. Especially the look on their faces when she handed her business card to them.

This too could be one of those CW type things.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    They do have "test strips" for breast milk to see if there's any trace of alcohol in them. A glass of wine now and then does not get passed to breast milk in detectable amounts. If anyone's in that position and wondering/concerned, I recommend looking in to getting those.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I hate to see women eating garbage while they're pregnant. I have a coworker here that's very pregnant and has gained a ton of weight and a lot of it is not in front. The foods she's eating here are sugary and garbage even by non-primal standards. I would imagine that her baby will be born over weight. Personally I think that eating a healthy (although I'm not even necessarily saying primal) diet with a bit of wine would be a much better start in life.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    They do have "test strips" for breast milk to see if there's any trace of alcohol in them. A glass of wine now and then does not get passed to breast milk in detectable amounts. If anyone's in that position and wondering/concerned, I recommend looking in to getting those.
    Yes it does! It's the same concentration in the breast milk as it is in the blood. Over time, that concentration drops just like it does in your blood, so if you have a glass of wine and TWO HOURS LATER you feed the baby, then there's minimal amounts in the blood.

It is a concern if the baby gets the same buzz as the adult because their liver can't metabolize it efficiently so they're stuck with it for longer.

Having said that, I'm totally fine with an occasional social drink during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Just time the breastfeeding one properly! (In pregnancy, the liver issue is moot, because the placenta/mom's liver is doing almost everything--the baby's liver is not processing much.

Oh, and as I said in another thread: I think if you're feeling the need to buy test strips, you're drinking too much!
    Last edited by lizch; 10-11-2010 at 08:03 AM.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Melody is offline Senior Member
    I had a glass of wine or beer during my pregnancies. It was great when mixed with a warm bath for stopping contractions during the early 3rd trimester.
    While I nursing I always followed the rule "too drunk to drive, too drunk to nurse". Not totally scientific but worked for us. And those strips are silly on many levels. Another way to make women feel insecure and make it seem like breastfeeding is a big hassle.

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    I would think if preggo Grokette stumbled across some fermented fruits she would enjoy them. Then again she wouldn't be concentrating the fermentation and then imbibing to a toxic level.

Basically, in moderation it seems that it should be fine

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I was watching "The Botany of Desire" on PBS recently and it was the segment on apples and how the early colonial settlers were so paranoid about waterborne illness that they drank mostly hard cider. That meant the pregnant/nursing women, too! I wonder what the effects of that was (and on health in general!)?

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    http://www.boston.com/community/moms...alist_asserts/

An interesting rebuttal to that very study.

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    I think this study is misleading. I think kids are the leading cause of brain damage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast