Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: omega 6 question page

gcube21 is offline Member

omega 6 question

Shop Now
    hey guys, I tried using the search to see if this has been covered but I couldn't really find anything. I checked my omega 6 intake over the past month or so and it comes out I get around 4-5g/day. I was in my nutrition class yesterday and the teacher said you should get about 16g/day....I don't buy into any of the other crap she tells us but I was just wondering if you think it's possible I'm not getting enough omega 6's. my omega 3 intake is right around the same, it actually came out to a little more than the omega 6's.

- thank you

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    I'm not expert enough to know the answer, but you might find this thread interesting
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...t-PUFA-Article
    - if only for a rather different take to the nutrition teacher's.

You could ask her how she keeps the 1:1 ratio with Omega 3s while consuming her 16g/day of Omega 6. That shouldn't be too controversial a question, should it?

thank you Hilary! I'll be sure to check out that article, it seems right up my alley. I'd love to ask her a whole buncha controversial questions, she's so sneaky though I think she'd end up winning somehow...I have nothing against vegetarians, but she is one and she is so against meat/cheese/butter that she makes me feel bad for eating it, almost like I should be dead already. we had some cooler weather here the last couple days and she got sick! she needs to check her diet I think.

Mainiaca is offline Junior Member
    Can I add to that question? If according to page 83 of the book, today's eaters have about a 20:1 ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 (I'm sure that is a non-Primal unhealthy eater). As a newbie how do I get that ratio down to the 2:1 or 3:1 ratio as suggested? I have started taking 4000 Omega 3 a day - any other suggestions?

gcube21 - where are you getting your Omega 6 info to know what your intake is?

Thanks so much!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    That is fucking criminal. I outta scratch her fucking eyes out before they get cancerous from all that omega 6.

But seriously I am wondering where they get the 16g from. The Kitavans are some of the most metabolically healthy people on the planet and they probably get 2g of omega 6 a day/ Are they in poor shape? Nope, excellent shape and I would argue that low polyunsaturates is a keep factor. Nutrition "science" fail for sure. 5g a day is perfect, that is what I get, and 4g of omega 3 is also good. You will likely want to get a DHA based fish oil if you take fish oil, or at least fish oil with 1:1 EPAHA. Make sure to take it with lots of fat so it gets elongated throughout the cells properly. That or be eating fish and brains, I don't know what you're doing.

Oh yeah we just want so so very much omega 6, sure. http://omega-6-omega-3-balance.omegaoptimize.com/ This site achieves the shit that you will get killed with if your ratio is bad. And that Masterjohn article is gold from what I read skimming it.

Sorry for all of the obscenity but this shit gets me fuming more than anything else in health and nutrition. Lies and obfuscation to serve an agenda while people suffer.

Mainiaca: reduce omega 6 and increase omega 3, then give it a month or two and see if you can get a laboratory tissue HUFA test. Or at the very least a c-reactive protein test. Omega 6 can be tracked using http://nutritiondata.self.com/
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

thanks for the reply guys, means a lot. Mainiaca, I use this program to track my intake, it's called cron-o-meter http://spaz.ca/cronometer/
    for me to get down to a good ratio I pretty much just cut way back on my nut consumption. I always eat a lot of vegetables, and always a lot of beef. grassfed butter is delicious and I pound that down as well as coconut oil. I have been taking 2 tsp of fish oil per day but I think I'm gonna decrease it to 1 tsp now. so I guess I just eat a lot more saturated fat now instead of polyunsaturated. my intake said I average 117g saturated fat per day, 45g monounsaturated and 8 or 9g polyunsaturated.
    Stabby, she got her info from the USDA I'm pretty sure. last class, she pretty much told us to guzzle peanut oil and canola oil. she had everyone in the class pretty much scared for their lives about cheese, butter and meat. how they contain natural trans fats....I looked into it and that's CLA right? everything I've read about it says it's wicked good for you. also, doesn't that mean there is more than one type of saturated fat? like how polyunsaturated has omega 3, 6, etc... she told a kid in my class that there is only one kind of saturated fat, I don't think that's right though. right now my fish oil is 554mg EPA to 369mg DHA, so maybe I can find a better one. I'm sure to take it with a lot of fat. thanks for the article and help Stabby!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Bwahaha! Your diet is looking awesome and you should be teaching that course.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

haha, I definitely think my teacher has to go over her nutrition info. she was actually on the news the other day talking about nutrition, spreading her nonsense to the masses.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Not sure about more than one saturated fat categorically, but saturated fat from different sources has different makeups. For example, saturated fat from a grain fed cow has an omega balance of 16:1. A grass fed cow has 3:1.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Erm, that'd be the polyunsaturated portion of the fat from the cow. And yes, even I know there are different kinds of saturated fat... so would the teacher, if she'd got as far as the second sentence in the Wikipedia article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fats

Sounds like that nutrition class should be renamed 'self-control through deep breathing'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast