Thread: Is there much of a difference between dairy products and whey protein powder? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Is there much of a difference between dairy products and whey protein powder?

Primal Fuel
    I know some protein powders are casein free, which is better. But I was thinking specifically for weight loss--I a lot of people report that dairy hinders weight loss. I'm wondering if whey protein powder has the same hang up, or if people have found it doesn't matter as much as milk products.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I lost my weight while using whey powder off and on. But generally speaking I think the advice to avoid liquid calories is good - if it digests quickly and easily you'll be hungrier quicker. An equivalent protein amount of chicken or fish will keep you full longer.

Ronin. is offline Junior Member
    I've been using protein powder mixed with milk to get my protien intake up but recently noticed my stomach hurts a little bit after. I may have to switch from it. Tomorrow I want drink a shake and see what happens

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Off the top of my head I'd say the weight loss issue has more to do with sugar (lactose) in dairy. I believe most (all?) whey processes out the sugar.

Here's an interesting article about kids who drink whole milk, as opposed to low-fat. The fat in the whole milk satiates their appetite, so they drink less - hence, they get less sugar and fewer are overweight.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/169756.php

Thanks all for the replies! It's good to hear other's thoughts/reasoning.

Tfarney, I've heard about the liquid calories thing before, but I find smoothies to be completely satiating for me. It's usually coconut milk, banana, a little almond butter, and spinach. Sometimes raw egg, but I thought I might give whey a try to up the protein avoid biotin issues.

Barryman, the article's point makes perfect sense! We don't use much milk in the house, my step-daughter enjoys it and we always only have whole milk. It's the way to go

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I lost my weight while using whey powder off and on. But generally speaking I think the advice to avoid liquid calories is good - if it digests quickly and easily you'll be hungrier quicker. An equivalent protein amount of chicken or fish will keep you full longer.
    The difficulty I have with that is that an equivalent amount of protein in meat or fish (let alone eggs) is a substantial helping, and getting through that and the greens etc I'd be including in the smoothie would probably defeat me in the mornings - or take ages, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    Thanks all for the replies! It's good to hear other's thoughts/reasoning.

Tfarney, I've heard about the liquid calories thing before, but I find smoothies to be completely satiating for me. It's usually coconut milk, banana, a little almond butter, and spinach. Sometimes raw egg, but I thought I might give whey a try to up the protein avoid biotin issues.

Barryman, the article's point makes perfect sense! We don't use much milk in the house, my step-daughter enjoys it and we always only have whole milk. It's the way to go
    I've actually seen (on TV, great source ) an experiment done where the same meal, liquidised (yum) meant people stayed fuller longer. The explanation: if you have solids and liquids separate, the liquids leave the stomach, and the solids get digested faster in their absence. Mush it all up, and it delays stomach emptying. I found this worked nicely for me with soup for lunch... for a couple of weeks. Then I adapted and was promptly ravenous after the soup. (This was pre-Primal, when I was clutching at straws.)

Raw egg - the biotin issues are with the egg white, I think, so you can separate the egg and save the white to cook later.

Raw egg - the biotin issues are with the egg white, I think, so you can separate the egg and save the white to cook later.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but then I lose out on the protein! Our body can only digest half the protein in a raw egg, anyway.