Thread: Manager's Special page

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member

Manager's Special

Primal Fuel
    I went shopping today, and, as I normally do to save money, checked out the reduced price meat they need to get rid of before it goes bad. They had bacon for $2.39 a lb, so obviously I bought it all. So I'm pretty stocked on bacon for a while.

Should I be buying this stuff? It's not super fresh i guess but I figure in terms of primal-ness Grok would have eaten some pretty questionable meat. Should I take any precautions with it? It will take me awhile to eat all this bacon, it really is a lot.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I do this all the time too. As long as you keep it frozen until you're ready to use it you'll be fine.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I think I buy MOST of my meat when it's on sale because it's expiring. As long as you freeze it ASAP, and thaw it shortly before use, it's fine.

And I'm not gonna lie, I go a day or two past the date many times before eating meat... or I freeze it on the expiration date but thaw it almost 2 days before I use it. If meat smells "off" I throw it away, regardless of the date. It seems to work for me, I've never gotten sick from food I've cooked. If it's normal cured bacon, you can probably go even farther past the date, but I'm not officially recommending this so don't blame me if it doesn't work for you! =P

Bacon is easy because it thaws so quickly - you could freeze it in single servings, and I bet if you put it in the fridge at night it would be thawed (or close) by the morning. Or, you can freeze it cooked! I like having some chopped or crumbled cooked bacon in the freezer that I can throw on things at the last minute, so if I came upon a good deal on bacon I'd chop and cook some of it ahead.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member
    Cool, I went ahead and put most of it in the freezer. I think I'll cook some extra crispy, save the fat, then put the crispy crumbles in the freezer and use it for salads. Thanks!

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I always cruise the meats/poultry looking for manager's specials. You can get some really great buys that way. Many grocery stores also have a rack/shelf with discount produce that is definitely worth looking over too.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post

Bacon is easy because it thaws so quickly - you could freeze it in single servings, and I bet if you put it in the fridge at night it would be thawed (or close) by the morning. .
    I freeze bacon in single servings, and thaw just before use by putting the baggie of frozen bacon in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes. Works great.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I have a bunch of $2.50 a pound tri-tip in my freezer that I bought the day before the expiration date. That's the way I shop!