Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The primalize-this-dish-for-me thread! page

erica057 is offline Senior Member

The primalize-this-dish-for-me thread!

Primal Fuel
    Post a dish that you miss from your pre-primal days and would like a primal version of. Or reply to other posters with ideas/recipes

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Good idea to start this thread, but you should have added some assignment in the starting post.

One of my favorite dishes is this: http://carolcookskeller.blogspot.com...age-cream.html (already lots of primal favorites in it: butter, sweet potato, bacon and eggs)
    What's the best way to primalize it? Rice wrappers might work, but they probably change the character of the dish quite a bit.
    Last edited by PatrickF; 10-08-2010 at 09:59 AM.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    How about primalizing perogies?

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    How about primalizing perogies?
    Man If could primalize perogies I would shit a brick. I LOVE potato, cheese and onion perogies. Unfortunatly I used to eat them by the dozen.
    "Live Free or Die"

Spyhop is offline Member
    I'd say for filled pastas, forget the pasta and just make the filling, then top it however you would have before. For the sweet potato agnolotti that would mean essentially mashed sweet potato with bacon, topped with sage cream sauce and brown butter. For pirogi, you're looking at mashed potatoes with cheese and onion or sauerkraut, possibly topped with sour cream. If you eat white potatoes and dairy, that is. You might even be able to shape the cheesy, oniony mashed potatoes into little patties and brown them up in a pan like you would pirogi. If you don't eat white potatoes or dairy, I see no way of primalizing a dish that is made solely of grains, potatoes, and dairy.

hello primal kitty is offline Junior Member
    I miss bean & cheese burritos with chips & salsa! If anyone knows how to primalize that I would be forever grateful!!!!!!!

uccella is offline Junior Member
    Baklava. I could live on baklava. The honey and nuts are primal enough - but replacing the flaky pastry seems impossible. Almond flour pastry puff anyone?

adam_devon is offline Junior Member
    Lasagne?

kandc88 is offline Member
    Lasagne turns out to be really easy.

I made one that exceeded expectations by using roasted eggplant slices ipo noodles. Sliced the eggplant between 1/4" and 1/2" thick probably put on a cookie cooling rack sitting on a cookie sheet (I do this all the time so the air can circulate around both sides and I can usually avoid any flipping) Brush with oil of choice and roast until a little dryer and soft. Then stack with your usual lasagna fixin's.

The ricotta cheese that I love to use makes me a bit ill, and it's not exactly primal. But...I recently tasted something that would make the best substitute, I think. I'll try it eventually! The leftovers from making almond milk with blanched almonds soaked up and ground and filtered...I swear the stuff tasted just like lightly sweetened ricotta cheese. Besides cheese I just use mashed meatballs or mashed meatloaf, I like my seasonings to already be in there and the last time I made one it gave me an excuse to use up a meatloaf recipe that didn't quite cook up as I'd have hoped...Love to reuse mistakes! Also some type of tomato product. Not sure I'll be giving up the parmesan or mozzarella, though...wouldn't be a lasagna to me without some cheesy flavor!

You can use zucchini or squash ipo the eggplant too!

Kim
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_devon View Post
    Lasagne?

kandc88 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uccella View Post
    Baklava. I could live on baklava. The honey and nuts are primal enough - but replacing the flaky pastry seems impossible. Almond flour pastry puff anyone?
    Baklava sounds pretty much impossible! Heck maybe something thin could be made with egg, gelatin and a sprinkling of almond flour, but truthfully the real deal is enough work with the sheets of pastry, I would probably never attempt it. I'd be more likely to aim for the taste by maybe an almond shortbread cookie with either crushed nuts in the mix, or on top and topped with a honey butter sauce?

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast