Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Beets? page

Best Beets?

I bought some beets on a whim at the farmer's market a couple of weeks ago and I'd like advice on preparing them. I already ate one that I just thinly sliced and sauted in butter. It was okay, but I'm sure there's a better method. What are some of your favorites?

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Put them in a casserole (dutch oven?) with a coupe of tablespoons of water. Cover, and put into a medium hot oven for about 40 minutes - take them out when the beet can be easily pierced with a skewer.

Allow to cool, skin and then eat as you wish.

My favourite way of eating them is to fry an onion in butter until softening, then to stir in a beet cooked as above and cut into cubes about a half inch square. Add about a teaspoon ground cumin. Heat through, add sour cream or yogurt, stir once and serve. It is lovely with most roast meats - especially pork!

Also, I like to make a beet soup as follows. Fry 2 onions in lard until softening. Add 3 beets cut up and 5 cloves of garlic chopped coarsely. Add half teaspoon hot smoked paprika, teaspoon caraway, tablespoon chopped parsley, juice of 1 lemon. Salt - as preferred.

Add enough stock to cover by a half inch and cook perhaps 20 minutes. Puree with stick blender and serve into bowls with dollop of yogurt.
    Last edited by breadsauce; 10-08-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Lousy spelling!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I wash them, cut off all but about an inch of the stems and roots, drizzle some oil on and wrap in foil, and cook until a knife can slide right into them (about 45 minutes at 350F for medium-large ones). Once they're cool you can just slide the skin right off (it's easier under running water, and you might wanna wear gloves!). I eat them as is, sometimes with some balsamic vinegar... refrigerate and eat cold... or chop and roast to get the slightly crispy edges and roasted flavor.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Oooo that sounds lush! I like pickled or roasted - though it's best to boil whole before skinning and roasting

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Beets are a root veg and I'm not sure sauteing gives them enough time to cook. Might be why you weren't thrilled with them this way.

I absolutely LOVE borscht (hot or cold)...it's my favorite way to have beets. IMO you have to have sour cream (or Greek yogurt) with it though. Roasted beets are very tasty too. Don't forget that you can also eat the beet greens.

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure....ast-beets.html

mayness is offline Senior Member
    My latest favorite way to eat them: combine cold cooked beets, goat cheese, and balsamic vinegar. It ends up being tangy and sweet and salty and earthy and creamy... all sorts of stuff going on flavor-wise. Yum. And the cheese turns a really pretty bright pink color, haha.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventure8410 View Post
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica
    DAMMIT! I came here to say this. lol

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    My latest favorite way to eat them: combine cold cooked beets, goat cheese, and balsamic vinegar. It ends up being tangy and sweet and salty and earthy and creamy... all sorts of stuff going on flavor-wise. Yum. And the cheese turns a really pretty bright pink color, haha.
    Curse you, you stole my idea! :-p
    It's also nice to add steamed swiss chard to the mix.

misathemeb is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i like to peel them first and chop into bite size pieces. roll them in extra virgin olive oil, salt and rosemary. roast 400F for 25mins. sweet like candy mmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast