Thread: Wanted: tempting food for invalid page

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Wanted: tempting food for invalid

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I done got the lurgi
    Hot flushes, chills, aching in joints I never knew I had...

I'm soooo hungry but every time I try to think of something simple/quick to make it turns my stomach. My "go to" quick food - eggs - have run out. I have no bacon. I have no fresh veggies in. I was hanging on til the weekend to go shopping!
    I wouldn't be concerned, only my total food intake yesterday was 3 eggs and about 300g salmon, and today I've only had cups of tea

What I *do* have is more tinned salmon, pickled onions, cooking fats, lots of herbs and spices, frozen leeks / carrots / sprouts and a freezer full of beef and lamb.

Any ideas for something fast and simple?

I also have an old cache of plain white rice and quinoa, and tinned mixed beans. Not ideal but not "toxic" like bread or pasties!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i believe the term is hippie dinner: take a bunch of things that taste good, throw them together in a pot, cook it, and hope what comes out tastes good. keep the salmon for another time, and see what happens when you throw some of that stuff together without a recipe. leeks, carrots and lamb...sounds tasty, and you could really experiment with spices.

TheFoodLovers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i believe the term is hippie dinner: take a bunch of things that taste good, throw them together in a pot, cook it, and hope what comes out tastes good. keep the salmon for another time, and see what happens when you throw some of that stuff together without a recipe. leeks, carrots and lamb...sounds tasty, and you could really experiment with spices.
    I'll second this. I think those all would be great together except for the salmon. Maybe try to make it into a soup? Lamb soup... sounds like a winner to me!

Well.... sat in the dutch oven for tonight is a lamb breast with the dregs of the frozen leeks and carrots - might go for mint with this one.
    Just now I nuked some eeks and carrots, threw in a handful of those tnned beans (for substance), the leftover salmon, some lemon thyme, and a splash of lemon infused olive oil.

Lessons of the day:
    Frozen leeks and carrots have no taste
    Beans have some kind of quantum negative taste effect, whereby they suck the vitality out of any other ingredients
    I'm very sensitive to the bitterness of olives/oil.

What I would kill for right now is chips and mayonnaise, Belgian style. If i make it to the shops later (a 20min drive there) I might get a sweet potato and some of the least nasty mayo. I've tried unsuccessfully to make my own, but it's so rarely eaten that I don't think it will harm overall. 20%, right?

The bean-carbage is hitting the bloodstream now...oh joy....

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    First thing I thought was soup, for sure. Get some good nutrients in an easy to keep down way.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Soup would also be good - think I need to brerw some up and keep on-hand for times like this.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    sad news. but a good lesson learned with the carrots and leeks.
    i'm feeling sick today too. this post has completely inspired me to have some primal just-in-case food stored in the back of my freezer.

Ehhhh.... further suggestions welcome!
    The lamb breast ended up being fed to other inhabitants, as I couldn't face it.
    Saturday I had the potato and mayo - it worked pretty well
    I cooked / cremated a joint of beef, ate a handful yesterday, and am wondering how to make it tempting. That handful of beef was my food intake for the day :/
    Today I was fed an apple (by the boss, haha) and have munched a bit of peanut butter.

I need to eat but still gagging on sight of most things.

Might make a trip out for a rotisserie chicken...it's the only thing I can imagine enjoying right now.

I also did a freezer inventory, and chicken is about the only species not represented in there!!