Question on Plateau

Primal Fuel
    We all know the pattern.

* Weight loss
    * Plateau
    * Weight loss
    * New Plateau
    etc.

What I just don't understand is the SPEED of the weight loss following a plateau. This was especially clear this week when I was fretting over my new plateau. I step on the scale every morning, and it was 219, 218,219,220,218,217,218,219,221,218.... then seemingly OVERNIGHT certainly with 24 hours and NEW low at 216. I weighed myself 3 times because I just couldn't believe it. The day before it was 219. ( I normally weigh in before taking a dump)

I have noticed this remarkably sudden weight loss following a plateau before. Has anyone else noticed this?

It seems like the body is holding on to its fat reserves for dear life, until it finally can't hold on for another second, then suddenly releases gobs of fat to be burned up in a short time period of 24 hrs.

I know the pattern well, now it will be bouncing above the new 216 plateau for several more weeks, then a sudden drop into maybe 212.

So my question... why-how does the weight drop so quickly coming out of a plateau?

Best to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-08-2010 at 07:29 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I lose that every time I go to the bathroom, y'all need to step up y'all stool game.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I lose that every time I go to the bathroom, y'all need to step up y'all stool game.
    Not an answer. This sudden weight loss (typical of falling through a plateau) was before taking a dump.

Best to all,
    Grizz

batty is offline Senior Member
    like everything else in life, weight is not constant. your weight can vary as much as +/- 5 lbs during any given week. how much you're moving, eating, water intake - your weight is affected by it. this is why, for the most part, its not a really good measurement tool.

btw, 3 lbs is not a plateau. that's a good dump.

this is also good reading material:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...uishy-fat.html

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    lol damn, beat me to it.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Not an answer. This sudden weight loss (typical of falling through a plateau) was before taking a dump.

Best to all,
    Grizz
    Stop weighing yourself everyday, as Batty said, weight fluctuates constantly. Go do other things and weigh yourself weekly if you must. Personally I haven't stepped on a scale in weeks, it's better to gauge your weight that way.

I don't know how to answer your question any better simply because weight loss is not that exact of a science on a day to day basis, you must give your body more time.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    like everything else in life, weight is not constant. your weight can vary as much as +/- 5 lbs during any given week. how much you're moving, eating, water intake - your weight is affected by it. this is why, for the most part, its not a really good measurement tool.

btw, 3 lbs is not a plateau. that's a good dump.

this is also good reading material:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...uishy-fat.html
    this.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Grizz is offline Banned
    Batty,

Bless your pretty sweet heart! You found the answer. Your article clearly explains WHY the large sudden weight loss when falling through a plateau that we have been stuck on for many weeks. At least it is a good enough theory that makes me happy, and now I can sleep better at night ;--))

Like I said, about 4 weeks of bouncing above a low of 218 then suddenly one morning finding 216 has nothing to do with taking a dump, especially since i usually weigh myself BEFORE taking a dump.

Here is what the author claims, he calls the Plateau a "Stall" and the sudden & unexplainable drop in weight a WHOOSH.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    THE STALL & WHOOSH
    So you’ll be dieting and dieting and doing everything correctly with nothing to show for it. Then, boom, almost overnight, you drop 4 pounds and look leaner.

What’s going on? One of my professors threw out the idea that after fat cells had been emptied of stored triglyceride, they would temporarily refill with water (glycerol attracts water, which might be part of the mechanism). So there would be no immediate change in size, body weight or appearance. Then, after some time frame, the water would get dropped, the fat cells would shrink. A weird way of looking at it might be that the fat loss suddenly becomes ‘apparent’. That is, the fat was emptied and burned off days or weeks ago but until the water is dropped, nothing appears to have happened.
    This makes PERFECT sense to me. My sudden weight loss was simply pissed out during the previous 24 hours when the fat cells finally realized they were NOT going to be fed.

What is better than the internet for finding answers to tough questions? Answer the MDA Forum !

Best of health to all,

and Maddy you are my sweetheart
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-08-2010 at 07:06 AM.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Grizz-
    The article you posted is right on and something a lot of folks trying to lose weight need to keep in mind. The human body regards weight loss as a negative--even if you're obese--because it's being diminished. Thus the tendency toward homeostasis will involve filling those empty fat cells with water temporarily (hoping the fat will return). When you stay on course, and the fat doesn't return, the body is eventually forced to dump that water, and that's the "whoosh."

This doesn't happen all the time, but anytime you know you're eating as you were when losing but don't see any loss for a while, just stay with it because this water thing is the likely answer.

I've lost about 180 lbs over the past several years (age and hypo cause me to lose very, very slowly), and there were times when I had a 3-week plateau--no loss at all on the scale, and then the fourth week I'd lose 4 lbs--which was my normal monthly total (I was losing at the rate of a pound a week).

Keep in mind that weight loss is rarely a linear process.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Emmie,
    Yes, indeed, it is all clear now. This question had been bothering me for weeks, and multiple searches on the net to no avail.

There may even be more to this answer. I was shocked to hear that there is more fluid in the body's sewer system than there is blood !

YES! The body does have a sewer system. The blood is pumped throughout the body to feed our cells and the excrement from all of these cells end up in the Sewer System. Unfortunately there are no pumps to move this fluid through the system. The veins that carry all of this sewage (called Lymph) have 700 1 way valves, so that every time we move, or flex our muscles, the sewage is moved a little bit further along.

This is called the Lymphatic System and the sewage passes through 700 filters called lymphatic nodes on its way toward its destination. Clearly the WORST thing an obese person can do is sit on an electric cart while shopping. They need to get out there and MOVE to get that lymphatic flow moving, or else all this liquid begins collecting in the legs and other body parts. Some believe inactivity leads to swelling legs, arms, & other body parts, called Lymphedema. The destination for all of this filtered liquid is back into the bloodstream near the neck, just before it gets filtered by the liver..

GET OUT THERE & MOVE ! It is the ONLY way to keep that lymphatic fluid moving. I sometimes feel like stopping someone in Wallmart scooting around in the electric shopping cart, and giving them a lecture ! Of course what do you see in their cart? We all know the answer to THAT one.

FASCINATING STORY here:
    http://www.lymphnotes.com/article.php/id/151/

Best of health to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-08-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast