Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Plateau page 2

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Grizz-

Please don't target shoppers in those carts! I have no knees left and a bad ankle as well (despite my disinclination, I will probably have knee replacements within the year). I am unable to shop in any store that does not have those carts, which pretty much restricts me to the supermarket.

Not everyone using those carts--even the obese--are using them because they're too 'lazy' to walk around the store. I walk nowhere, but I swim laps, do water exercise and resistance training.

Also, about those swollen legs. After a certain age, the 'filters' that move that fluid throughout the body tend to atrophy, and when they're weak, fluids can pool in the extremities if the person is vertical for long periods. That's why many elderly people find their leg swelling reduced while they sleep and wake with 'normal' size lower legs. Yes, this can happen to the young and obese, but it can also happen to young, fit people with vascular problems.

Please don't judge.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Emmie,
    You are correct, and that is why I have bitten my tongue and not said anything.

Fascinating what my favorite doctor says about cartilage destruction....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Davis
    (Wheat) also causes cartilage destruction. The cells of human cartilage lack the ability to divide, so the cartilage cells you had at age 18 are the cartilage cells that you will hopefully still have at age 80. However, high blood sugars (glucose) glycate the proteins in cartilage. (Wheat raises blood glucose higher than almost all other foods, higher than a Milky Way bar, higher than a Snickers bar.) The process is irreversible and cumulative. Because cartilage has next to no capacity for repair or regeneration, it becomes brittle. Over years, it essentially crumbles, leading to the "bone on bone" that prompts conversations about total hip and total knee replacement.

So that ciabatta or blueberry muffin in your mouth takes you a step or two closer to joint destruction via heightened inflammation arising from the visceral fat of the wheat belly, worsened by glycation of high blood sugars after carbohydrate consumption.
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...wheat-hip.html

Just more reasons why the Primal Diet is the best for good health.

Best of health to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-08-2010 at 12:24 PM.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    I've had the same experience with weight loss. Same weight for months... suddenly one day 8lbs gone. Another couple of months... and then suddenly another 8lbs. Spooky. Not such large drops lately, but just as random.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elwyne View Post
    I've had the same experience with weight loss. Same weight for months... suddenly one day 8lbs gone. Another couple of months... and then suddenly another 8lbs. Spooky. Not such large drops lately, but just as random.
    Elwyne,

Thanks so much for volunteering this. Now I know that I am not the only one ! You are right, it is sooo SPOOKY. I measure my weight every morning, so I am very familiar with my normal day to day fluctuations. One morning it was 219 and the next morning it was 216! I did NOT take a dump before measuring my weight. How could it be possible for the body to burn THAT much fat in one 24 hr period? It just didn't make any sense at all. But WATER? Of course, I should have thought of that. OLD TOO SOON, SCHMARDT TOO LATE !

If I was a teenager again, I would Know It All, eh?

Interesting that so many fat cells would all dump their water load on one specific day ! Hmmm is there any way to force the fat cells to dump their water load artificially? There MUST be some kind of signal, maybe from the brain that forces all the fat cells to DUMP WATER. I'm going to look into that angle. This is becoming VERY INTERESTING !

Best to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-08-2010 at 01:18 PM.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Happens to me as well. I find that if I have a few drinks of alcohol in one night I'll gain 3 pounds. Then about two days later I'll be up all night running to the toilet and wake up in the morning lighter than before. No that doesn't mean to drink to lose weight.

If I don't drink the weight drops every day. As soon as the alcohol comes into play I plateau and woosh.

Griff-

Thanks for that post from Dr. Davis (also a favorite of mine) about wheat and cartilage destruction. But I suspect that, as with many physical issues, it depends on the person. For example, I come from an Italian-American family, so lots of pasta and bread were consumed in my youth. I began suffering from osteoarthritis in my mid-30s (usually considered an 'old age' afflication), as had one of my uncles at a similar age. However, others in the family ate the same way and had no joint problems.

My current surgeon (I'm consulting him for possible knee replacement) says that osteo is an actual disease ( used to be considered just the wear and tear of age or obesity), so it makes sense that it can be triggered by wheat, especially in my case, since I've discovered since my Hashimoto's diagnosis (when I began paying attention) that I have a sensitivity to gluten.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Emmie,

Grains & sugars are so destructive to the human body that my wife & I feel lucky to still be alive! As it is, she started developing pain in her right knee, and she was taking glucosomene for it. Didn't help much. Is Glucosomene another BS Product? Has it helped your condition? She doesn't seem to be having problems with her knees since starting PB.

I pray the Whoosh Fairy visits me every night ;--))

WHOOSH FAIRY

I've been searching the net to find more about dumping water coming out of a plateau, the Whoosh Effect, and found this account, a man lost 12 lbs overnight on his "Whoosh."
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    After experiencing no losses in scale weight or inches for several weeks, I awakened and reluctantly got on the scales one Saturday morning and I was down a whopping 12 pounds. Talk about breaking a stall. Boy howdy! Of course I got on and off the scale several times to be sure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't.
    http://www.lowcarb.org/whatsa_whoosh.html
    Stall & Whoosh discussed at great lengths here:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...s-gradual.html

What is the Whoosh? Good discussion here:
    http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php?t=142979

HEY ! We are on to something BIG here. SOMETHING is causing a LARGE group of fat cells to dump their water. We need to find out what that signal is. Just imagine how many millions of fat cells must dump their water at the same time to equal 3# or more. Now imagine we sell a PILL to do the same ;--)) PARTY TIME

Best to you,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-09-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Grizz-

I took Glucosomine and Condriatin (sp?) when it was first touted as the best thing for joint pain. I got CosaminDS, which was, at that time, supposed to be the best formulation on the market. It was very expensive--about $100 a month. I took it faithfully for 2 years--and it did NOTHING. My primary doctor later told me that a lot of his patients reported the same thing. Later, I read a supposed research report that said it only helped with 'mild' arthritis, not anything severe! An aspirin will help with mild arthritis, so, IMO, Glusosomine is a big scam. Now I see that my vet pushes it for animal joint pain, but, of course, the animals can't report that it doesn't help any:-)

Here's a water story unrelated to weight loss but an indication of what the body can hold onto. I tend to retain water whenever I'm ill--even mildly ill.
    In my mid-30s (many years ago), I got a bad flu, and since I didn't have a primary doctor at the time, I went to a local walk-in clinic that was staffed in the evenings by residents from our university hospital. I'd been dieting (of course), so I knew my weight. When the nurse weighed me, I was 12 lbs heavier than I had been a few days previously, but I knew about my water retention issues--my only surprise was the amount, but I thought perhaps my home scale was a little off. I expected about 5 lb gain, which is what I usually had in such situation. However, when the doctor saw my BP numbers, he went ballistic and said, "Forget about this flu, you have high BP." I tried to explain that the water retention had driven up my BP, and I assured him that my BP was not only normal; it tended to run slightly low. Nothing I said could convince him, and he insisted that I return in 4 days to have my BP checked.

On the third day, my flu abated, fever was gone, and I began pee-ing like mad. When I returned to the doctor, I was 12 lbs lighter and, of course, my BP was normal. But the doctor went ballistic again, insisting that with a 12 lb loss in 4 days I was obviously diabetic and needed immediate treatment!
    Of course, I ignored him and went on my way.

As to the weight-loss water retention issue, the longest I've gone with no loss and then a whoosh (but only 4 lbs) was a month. I have no idea what the mechanism is that gets the body to eventually dump that water--I wish I knew!

jfilbin is offline Junior Member
    I have been on a major weight loss odyssey and moved into Primal about 3 weeks ago. What I read is that as your body uses the fat in the cells, the fat is replaced as water until the cellular structure and blood vessels there to support the fat dissolve, then the water is moved out of the system.

I hope this isn't too personal, but I've got myself all wound up and need some input from some Grokettes. I have a question related to menstrual cycle, and see if anyone has had the same issue. I've been steadily at 176 lbs for about 2 weeks, Tuesday was the 14th day of my cycle (ovulation, etc). My "morning weight" has gone up 4 pounds since then. I know logically, this can't be "fat", its gotta be water, and more than likely is completely hormonal related. But I wondered if anybody else experiences this? The other part of this issue is that I'm supposed to take progesterone cream days 14-28 due to low levels, and haven't been able to get my scrip refilled due to my doc's schedule, so this may be part of the issue, also. I just needed some input, to talk me out of the "crazy tree". Thanks!

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    Griff,

I was 153 for 2 weeks and then suddenly woke up and was 150. Now I lost inches while I remained at 153 but no change in inches when I dropped to 150 so I'm sure it was just a sudden water release. I have seen this pattern on other diets in the past.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast