Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for sprinting - bad knee can't run page

Jules is offline Junior Member

Suggestions for sprinting - bad knee can't run

Shop Now
    I cannot run anymore but can still use an elliptical and/or exercise bike. I jam not able to put jarring weight on my knee. What or how do you recommend getting the same result as sprinting? I am thinking use the elliptical and pedal like crazy to get my heart rate up for around 10 minutes....am I thinking right?

theholla is offline Senior Member
    You can always do sprints on an elliptical, exercise bike, or anything really. But, if you want to reach the anaerobic threshold, you will probably want to take more of an "interval training" approach so that you're doing short bursts at max intensity, alternating with low intensity recovery periods. Some formal protocols are Tabata and HIIT. Here's a short guide to Tabata: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-tabata-sprints/

Happy sprinting!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Rowing machine. That's what I used after I broke my ankle.

AdrianBryant is offline Junior Member

Use a Pro2 Arm Bike

Definitely rest your knee but...

Use a Sci-Fit Pro 2 Bike and use the arms only - watch this video of me doing intervals (arm sprints on a pro2 bike)

Go to the 1:18 point to see me using arm bike
    I actually help people look good naked. Seriously, I do this for a living and have fun doing it! Don't believe me? See the people I've helped for free

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Ellipticals work. I do a 20-30 burst of all out speed, followed by the remainder of the minute at a slower speed. 10 of those, and I feel like hurling.

Jules is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to try them all. (except the hurling part) My gym has all of those pieces of equipment so I will be able to mix it up.

bcruz is offline Junior Member
    Or if you have access to a pool swimming is an awesome full body workout and really good for all your joints. Sprinting every other length of the pool is sure to wear you out

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem. Walking, even just standing, can be a problem. I start out in the AM doing pretty well and just about go inactive in the PM. I bought a treadmill cheap because I am never far from a zero gravity chair and a soothing drink of water. No more trying to hop home over two miles.

The greatest thing I did for my knees was a Nordic Track--the original cross country ski simulator. You can get them at prices cheaper than firewood. People have dreams, buy one, and hate it. I can move like a fiend on that machine. Barely using my knees.

Check the papers and things like Craig's List.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    One of my friends at work bought a reconditioned Nordic Track and is really, truly getting stronger and fitter. Since the cold, dark mornings of New York winter will be upon me (and my asthma), I was thinking about getting one of those.

Thank you, periquin.
    Last edited by Debbie; 10-09-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: just read the post above mine! ha ha

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast