Thread: Analysis please .. and what should one expect? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Analysis please .. and what should one expect?

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering what a person could expect after being primal for about a month or so in terms of their blood results. My mom just got hers tested about a week or two ago, she's been sort of primal (probably 65 percent) for the last month or so with me. Here they are:

Cholesterol -- 221
    Triglyceride -- 150
    HDL - 45
    Non-HDL - 176
    LDL Direct - 132

She's been sort of primal for awhile now, so I'm wondering why they're so high still. How long will it take before it starts coming down?
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    My concern would be her "35%". If she is eating lots of refined grains, sugar, etc I would still expect her TG to be high. I am also not sure one month is enough time to see significant result.

Has she seen any other benefits from being primal? Weight changes, energy levels, bp changes?

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Without a baseline to compare it to, any blood results are meaningless in terms of what a person could expect.
    Do you have any previous bloodwork to compare it to?

Also, what is her non primal 35%?

mizski is offline Senior Member
    As mentioned, it's hard to analyze without her starting numbers. FWIW, for those who had high numbers, Dr. Atkins wrote that it can take up to six months for the numbers to change favorably and that many people's numbers actually go up before they drop down to healthy levels. I did whole foods Atkins for my first ten months of losing weight and that was the case with me and seems to be the case for most people on those message boards.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, to what mizski advised. I also followed Atkins for a while and remember that he advised that any change in blood values should not be expected until 6 months on the program. However, that's also 6 months at 100%--any incursions into grains and/or sugar will complicate the situation.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Yea it really depends on what the 35% is... If its a lot of junk food then you shouldn't expect great numbers. Tell her to go fully primal for just 30 days and then see how she feels and what her blood work shows.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    My concern would be her "35%". If she is eating lots of refined grains, sugar, etc I would still expect her TG to be high. I am also not sure one month is enough time to see significant result.

Has she seen any other benefits from being primal? Weight changes, energy levels, bp changes?
    She said that she feels her waistline has been shrinking quite a bit the last month, which is good ... She's actually a really healthy eater overall, the only thing she eats quite often that isn't primal is rice ... She only has sweet stuff like once a month too. Actually come to think of it she's more like 80-90 percent! She just doesn't eat a whole ton of meat, just veggies and such.
    She has hypothyroidism too -- could that be a factor? She's also had a history of high cholesterol but sort of with the high LDL and HDL levels.
    Her BP is like 110/70. She hasn't had any energy changes but she's been sleeping really late.
    Overall, I would call her a "light" primaler She eats the right things but doesn't eat a whole ton of it.
    Last edited by echoyjeff222; 10-08-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    She eats the right things but doesn't eat a whole ton of it.
    Don't know your mom's age but keep in mind people eat less as they get older.