Thread: 2.5 months on Paleo...critique what I'm doing?? page

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member

2.5 months on Paleo...critique what I'm doing??

Primal Fuel
    First off I'd like to say that the main reason I went paleo/primal was to cure my gut dysbiosis and skin problems, and I love it. I have no cravings whatsoever, all I crave is fat, meats and veggies. That being said, I follow Bee's protocol for candida, which is similar to the primal diet but without nuts, fruit and dairy (except butter). I supplement with Cod Liver Oil, Halibut Liver capsules, 600mg of magnesium and calcium, vitamin C and E, and a B-Complex, per Bee's recommendations. My diet consists of lots of free range eggs, grass-fed beef, lamb, chicken drumsticks, lots of salmon, low carb veggies, olive oil and a ton of butter and coconut oil.

My daily caloric intake is usually around 3000 calories, with about 130 grams of protein, 60 grams of carbohydrates (not net carbs), and my fat intake averages from 250 to 280 grams daily. Saturated fat at 148 grams, monounsaturated at 69 grams, and polys at 13 grams. My main concern arises over the fact that I am consuming most of my calories from saturated fat. Now I know saturated fat isn't "evil," but could I be over doing it? Most of it comes from coconut oil and butter, both needed to fight candida.

I feel great some days and terrible other days. Sometimes I have terrible heart palpitations ( all cleared, nothing dangerous I hope) other times I have terrible stomach pains and loose stools, but I am being led to believe that it is all part of the candida die off, which I hope is true.

Anyways how does it look? What do you guys recommend? I really feel I need some sort of probiotic, but according to Bee probiotics are useless because they never reach their destination. Thanks again, and I would love to hear your guys input on both my over consumption of saturated fats and my diet in general.

hutax is offline Member
    Just a quick note, Primal is NOT paleo. Paleo is a diet , Primal is a lifestyle. They are two different things.

Joe B is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hutax View Post
    Just a quick note, Primal is NOT paleo. Paleo is a diet , Primal is a lifestyle. They are two different things.
    Technically what any person eats is considered their "diet." Paleo is a lifestyle as well, they both promote the same basic things: meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and some starch. No sugar, grains, processed stuff. There are just minute differences, but they are pretty close, so saying one is a diet and the other is a lifestyle is misleading.

@OP: what is your height, weight, and age? You could probably stand to eat more protein, that does seem like alot of fat, but I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to comment.

doghead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hutax View Post
    I agree.

Paleo refers to a way of eating.
    Primal refers to a way of eating, moving, exercising, thinking, breathing, talking, pooping, showering, LIVING.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post

@OP: what is your height, weight, and age?
    ...and gender.

That sounds like quite a lot of food for most people, unless you are a large guy and/or in athletic training.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 10-08-2010 at 07:05 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by confused_monkey View Post
    I really feel I need some sort of probiotic, but according to Bee probiotics are useless because they never reach their destination.
    I'm not familiar with Bee or particularly knowledgeable about candida, but my purely anecdotal experience suggests that eating live, cultured foods (like yogurt, kefir, kimchi, etc) does wonders for the gut health of myself and quite a few others. Interestingly, actual probiotic supplements don't seem to have much of an impact for me personally.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

I am 21 year old male athlete. I stand at 5'7 130 lbs, and yes this is a way of life and I love it!! Just want to make sure I am not overdoing anything, or going in the wrong direction.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by confused_monkey View Post
    I am 21 year old male athlete. I stand at 5'7 130 lbs, and yes this is a way of life and I love it!! Just want to make sure I am not overdoing anything, or going in the wrong direction.
    Ah. Thanks.

This being the case, I think your intake looks pretty good. However, you might want to consider replacing the cod liver oil with a high-quality fish oil. Robb Wolf and others have talked about how getting sufficient O-3's from cod liver oil can result in getting too much Vitamin A. There's a section on that in this FAQ from Whole 9.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Thanks a lot for your response. I only take about a tablespoon of cod liver oil daily and never go over. The rest of my Omega-3 intake comes from canned sardines and salmon. Am I taking any risk eating about 9 oz. of atlantic salmon daily? I have read sources that claim the mercury dangers are not to worry about.

Thanks.