Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil and Alzheimer’s Disease page

shemdogg is offline Senior Member

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    Great article...except for this gem (bold mine)

She discovered that with Alzheimer’s disease, certain brain cells may have difficulty utilizing glucose (made from the carbohydrates we eat), the brain’s principal source of energy. Without fuel, these precious neurons may begin to die. There is an alternative energy source for brain cells—fats known as ketones. If deprived of carbohydrates, the body produces ketones naturally.

But this is the hard way to do it—who wants to cut carbohydrates out of the diet completely? Another way to produce ketones is by consuming oils that have medium-chain triglycerides. When MCT oil is digested, the liver converts it into ketones. In the first few weeks of life, ketones provide about 25 percent of the energy newborn babies need to survive.

stef is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip City View Post
    But this is the hard way to do it—who wants to cut carbohydrates out of the diet completely?
    Isn't that amazing! They'd rather have dementia than not eat carbs. Unbelievable. My little sister has RA and reflux. She has to take meds for both, sleeps practically sitting up (she just got married, btw - doesn't seem very romantic to me). Yet when I suggested she read up on celiac/gluten intolerance she was not the least bit interested. She thought she had already been tested for it (highly doubtful, since she couldn't even remember if she had). Was not even willing to read an article. She'd rather take meds and sleep sitting up and suffer with the pain, than read something and possibly eliminate wheat for a few weeks to see what happens. I didn't even mention paleo/primal, had not even heard of it at the time. I was just talking about wheat. People are willfully ignorant, it's just insane.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Isn't that amazing! They'd rather have dementia than not eat carbs.
    I think what they meant was that it would be easier to consume the coconut oil than to eliminate any food that contains an appreciable amount of carbohydrate. I guess so. It would make it difficult to eat out, to visit family and friends, and so on. I see their point: it certainly would be easier.

But, yes, I eat pretty low carb as it is, but if there was any signs of a condition like that I'd probably do both. Perhaps not the full Vilhjalmur Stefansson whack, but certainly very low.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    She'd rather take meds and sleep sitting up and suffer with the pain, than read something and possibly eliminate wheat for a few weeks to see what happens. I didn't even mention paleo/primal, had not even heard of it at the time. I was just talking about wheat. People are willfully ignorant, it's just insane.
    Oh my, that is sad...and unnecessary too. I had bad arthritis in my hip and back and had to walk with a cane but after only ONE month grain-free I was able to stop my Rx meds and put that cane in the closet. Actually, I think it was less than one month.

I hope you can get her to reconsider and try grain free (also cutting way down on sugars too). The rewards are soooo worth it.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    The way I love coconut oil, I sure hope this is right.

I guess the obvious question would be: How prevalent is AD in areas that consume lots of coconut oil?

shannon is offline Senior Member
    +1 dragonmamma
    i eat at least 6 TB/day so it's good news to me
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

primalbrew is offline Junior Member
    I have sent this article to my sisters. My mother died of early onset Alzheimer's (confirmed in an autopsy) at the age of 53. And my mother's aunt also died of Alzheimer's. It seems like something that is easy to try as prevention, even if you would have never gotten AD. Thanks for posting this.

StillWild is offline Member
    Wow...I sure hope they're right.
    My granny died of Alzheimer's at 72. She ate a lot of carbs and had blood sugar problems (can't remember if she was really full-blown diabetic or not.). The most horrifying thing for me was that in her case, she was ill for so long before she finally died. It kills you to see people you love suffer. In her case, she got worse very slowly over I think about a 5-8 year period. The last months of her life she was in a special bed at home completely unresponsive, staring at the ceiling, not blinking. Feeding her was a challenge, liquids or pureed foods only and in tiny doses at a time since she didn't have the consciousness to swallow anything. It was so strange because at one point in my life I thought she was the strongest person in the world.
    After seeing that, I'll do every thing I can not to end up that way. This is definitely getting forwarded to my mom. Thanks for the post shemdogg!

Grizz is offline Banned
    IMO, based on this information, it is clear that the High Carb, Low Fat, CW over the past 40 years has created the Alzheimer epidemic we are seeing now.
    "Since 1975, the number of Americans afflicted [with Alzheimer's Disease {ALZ}] has risen from five hundred thousand to five million [2001];"

I will also wager that those of us on the Primal diet will not see ALZ in our old age. The human body ( and brain) needs healthy fats to stay healthy.

Best of health to all,
    Grizz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast