Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood test results. I'm anemic and have low vitamin D. page

Katie82 is offline Senior Member

Blood test results. I'm anemic and have low vitamin D.

Primal Fuel
    But why?

I've been supplementing for 7 months about 7,000-25,000 IU vitamin D a week and obviously I eat enough meat and greens that I shouldn't be anemic. The doctor said it was iron deficiency anemia although I haven't seen the test myself but she said I had "very low iron" and my D level is 21. Not good.
    So I'm not absorbing nutrients correctly. She's sending me to a Gastroenterologist and I'm getting a bone density scan since my major complaint is bone pain. Does anyone know what would cause malabsorbtion? I know I was zinc deficient too because I had white spots on my nails all of my life until I started supplementing. Who know what else I'm deficient in. My doctor wouldn't test any other vitmain levels but maybe my GI doc will.
    This is likely why I haven't been feeling better on the PB. I can eat properly until I'm blue in the face but if I can't absorb it... I might as well be eating SAD. Okay, that's not completely true.
    The good is that I used to have higher cholesterol and triglycerides. I think 200 cholesterol and 250 trig but I don't know LDL and HDL since it was over a year ago. Now my trigs are down to 163 and my HDL was 63, LDL 90.

My TSH was 2.4. She refused to test T3 and T4 and insists that 2.4 is "normal" even though I have every damn symptom of hypothyroidism. I don't know what to do about that yet. I guess I'll see how I feel after getting my iron up.

So, my questions...

what iron supplement is good and easily absorbed?
    What could be causing malabsorbtion?
    Is a TSH of 2.4 really okay or should I push for more tests? I don't know how to convince her that the TSH number doesn't really tell the whole story. My doctor is pretty clueless. She also told me 5.7 A1C was normal and 122 fasting blood sugar was good (don't worry, these things are not a result of primal. I normally have them more under control than this)

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Just back-stalked you and I have a question: have you been to an endocrinologist? Hormonal disorders such as PCOS often cause anemia. Two other things: zinc decreases iron absorption and vitamin c increases it. If you're supplementing with zinc, that may be a problem.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    A few recommendations:

a) Definitely consider taking a good digestive enzyme with meals. It's possible that you're deficient in one or more enzymes, which can result in poor nutrient absorption. Here is a good MDA thread on the topic of enzymes:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...p?9514-Enzymes

b) Taking probiotics will also help to improve your gut health, if this is indeed your problem. Here's a good MDA thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...733-Probiotics

c) Your poor vitamin D absorption might be caused by a magnesium deficiency. Here is one site that discusses this:

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/vi...bsorption.html

There is lots of good info on the web about low D and magnesium deficiency, just a google search away, so I won't overwhelm you with links.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    Just back-stalked you and I have a question: have you been to an endocrinologist? Hormonal disorders such as PCOS often cause anemia. Two other things: zinc decreases iron absorption and vitamin c increases it. If you're supplementing with zinc, that may be a problem.
    lol, thanks for back-stalking. I have not been to an endo, couldn't get my doctor to give me a referal and I need the referal with my insurance. She totally does not get the whole picture thing. I told her I have PCOS and she said "well, you can go to a OB for that" I didn't know that it can cause anemia though. I take zinc to help with D absorbtion and I was deficient in zinc too. I also take vitamin C and eat foods rich in C so I don't think I want to stop the zinc.

healthseekerkate, I took enzymes and probiotics for a while. The enzymes made me nauseous and gave me heartburn and the probiotics made me feel bloated. I also have been taking magnesium as long as the vitamin D so... wow. Maybe I really do need to see the gastroenterologist after all. This is really messed up.

the supplements I take are vitamin D, Mag, Zinc,Boron, B complex and vitamin C.

My main complaints are pain, fatigue, dry skin and dry coarse hair, brain fog, sensitivity to light and eye pain, PCOS, high blood sugars.... there's more but I basically know they are all connnected and have to do with nutrient deficiencies. Eating primal after 5 months I started to realize it wasn't helping in any significant way so I took a step back and had to ask why did I get this way to begin with?. I researched a lot on celiac disease and it's very possible I have that. I started eating gluten again so I could get celiac testing done as well but I don't have the results from that yet and they may be false negative anyway. I'm back on primal now and still just feel like complete crap! Regardless of the Celiac results I am severely gluten intolerant so maybe that has been affecting absorption all along. Then again, I wasn't eating gluten while eating primal but maybe even 5 months wasn't long enough to heal damage to the intestines *if* that's what the problem is. Oh, I'm so confused.
    Last edited by Katie82; 10-07-2010 at 07:36 PM.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Katie-

I spent 5 years with my primary doctor trying to get my hypothroidism diagnosed, but, fortunately, my insurance does not require a referral, so I was able to go to a good endo! So I have some experience with this, and really regret listening to him tell me I was "normal" for all those years when I had progressively severe hypo symptoms.

TSH does not tell the whole story, as you know. When my TSH was 2.6, I could barely get out of bed in the morning because I was so very fatigued. Most good endos will treat if the TSH is above 2.0 and the patient has symptoms. With thyroid, symptoms are more important than blood values (according to both the endos I've seen), and many hypos present with 'normal' blood values (sub-clinical hypothyroidism), but their symptoms are relieved with meds. Of course, you want someone who will test T4 and T3 as well, which are the important numbers.

I don't know how to tell you to proceed, since you seem to need a referral, but you might get some info from the internet to present to your primary, and if she still won't test or refer you, you can threaten with a malpractice suit perhaps? I don't know because I've (fortunately) never been in your situation. Good luck with this!

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Katie,
    Your doctor sounds like a complete A$$hat, and a Quack to boot. Any " Doctor" that refuses to listen to the patient should not practice medicine. Go to and Endo. If you Knowingly have PCOS then you already have alot of your mysteries solved as far as your symptoms go. I would also echo the previous advice of taking probiotics and digestive enzymes. You really need to up your intake of green leafy's too. Also, as far as Iron, the liquid Iron is far more easy to absorb than the pills are, as the liquid reaches the bloodstream much faster. You need answers to your malabsorbtion issues, PRONTO. by a QUALIFIED practioner.

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Here is a website that tells what thyroid tests are needed:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

doug is offline Member
    Celiacs have malabsorbtion issues with the presence of gluten. Their stools will often times be oily or fatty from difficulties absorbing fats and fat soluable vitamins. Even if you aren't a celiac, almost everyone is intolerant to gluten in one degree or another. I would definitely recommend removing gluten from your diet immediately to start. A little liver in your diet would probably be pretty helpful as well.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    can you change your GP?? sounds like this one is doing more harm than good. Your doc needs to LISTEN to you, and if she doesn't want to run a test she better at least be able to talk about why!!

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RSL View Post
    Here is a website that tells what thyroid tests are needed:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
    +1 and add

www dot realthyroidhelp dot com

Read the nutrition and gluten page.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast