Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to fry in? page

alydar is offline Member

What to fry in?

My dad use to make the most AWESOME (and I mean bone chewing, licking, and sucking) fried pork chops. But he did it using Crisco shortening and flour. Bad, I know.

So if he were to fry some now (thankfully they are starting to entertain the Primal ways) what would be the best oil to use to create AWESOME fried pork chops? And would coconut flour sub well for regular flour?

Thanks!

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    I make some pretty good chops using coconut oil. I imagine bacon grease would be good too.

You could use coconut flour but it will absorb all the fat and still be dryish. I have never quite figured out the trick to coconut flour. I can't really tell you what would work good as a sub for flour, I have never used it on pork chops. But if I wanted to play around a bit these are the things I would try. Crushed pork rinds. They work really well if you like the flavor. I would also give almond flour a try. I have a bag of peanut flour that is really good as a coating, too. But others have said peanuts aren't so good. I can't tell you why. Maybe someone else can help with that as I just so rarely eat anything peanuty..

labbygail is offline Senior Member
    I bet people fried pork chops in lard before Crisco was invented. I don't eat lard, so I use clarified butter for my frying needs. Works great. You could also try beef fat.
    A lot of people seem to like coconut oil, but I'm personally not a fan--wrong flavor, unless you get the refined kind, in which case no flavor.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    If i do chops I coat in almond flour and fry in bacon grease.
    "Live Free or Die"

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't bother with oil. Use fat instead.

alydar is offline Member
    I'm totally diggin' the bacon grease idea! And I might forego the flour substitutions. Probably would turn out great without it. Thanks!

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I used to make breaded chicken fingers, but since going primal, we just eat them naked. Just as tasty! Oh, & I fry them in bacon grease.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    Okay now I am going to have to try them in bacon grease. I have an entire tub in my fridge just waiting to be used.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Lard! I keep rendering down pork and beef fat, and anything cooked in that tastes awesome. Just like Granny used to make it!

Chicken in lard - stunning. Pork chops in lard - hopelessly more-ish. Kidneys in lard - a whole new dimension!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As anyone that has watched Julia Child knows rendering bacon for the fat to cook in is a basic technique of classic French cooking. I remember an episode where she demonstrated blanching it first to remove any flavorings not desired in the follow-on dish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast