Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Punctuated Equilibrium? page 2

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I'm not suggesting that we've changed quickly enough to adapt to Frank-n-foods in a hundred years, but that we MAY have broken into various groups more agreeable to various food sources within a 10,000 year time span.

Why does everyone assume that we STARTED OUT with a grain intolerance?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Dragonmamma, everything is possible.

Science talks about scenarios with different degrees of certainties, not absolutes.

If you are convinced that you have evolved to thrive on a diet composed of potatoes because you feel good eating them, then I have nothing else to add.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

grandma is offline Member

but why does it matter unless you have a time machine and are going to go back and get us some of the good grains of the past. I may be wrong but I don't think the "grass-fed" analog to grains exists? Maybe spelt or something like that is a link to the past, but still why? If you want to eat them, by all means read up on fermenting grains and have at it.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Jeez-louise! Did I say I was living on potatoes?? My daily carb intake is 100-150 grams. I have a sweet potato maybe every third day. I don't consider that to be the least bit excessive, and I just betcha Mark Sisson doesn't, either.

Maybe you are right, maybe we started out completely tolerant, but damn if evolution didn't back fire on us and a large majority of us are now suffering from intolerance.

I'm still amazed that I get more grief by eating a potato than the beer drinkers are getting over on their thread.

Shine is offline Member

[quote]

The typical intolerant individual today does not develop a disease which kills them before they pass on those genes.
    </blockquote>

This was my point.

However, as to whether there was an initial range of grain tolerance, again I don&#39;t know how you would establish this. Are there any identified genes that determine tolerance of grain and susceptibility to detrimental effects as a result of consumption? I think that it is safe to say that we started off intolerant of raw grains; unless I am mistaken (entirely possible), ancient cultures underwent long processes of fermentation, soaking, and grinding to extract edible material from wild grains. Without these processes, we were unable to consume the plant; I believe this would qualify as intolerance.

I don&#39;t think that anyone is getting on your case about eating the occasional sweet potato; it is your argument defending tuber consumption that is being attacked. I have actually been wondering about similar ideas in relation to steel-cut oats prepared using traditional methods of soaking and fermentation. However, I am arriving at the conclusion that I am only deluding myself with unfounded justifications. I am only critical of your ideas because I am also assessing my own similar ones.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

There&#39;s no grief dragonmamma!

The discussion started when you suggested that you could include potatoes in your diet and still thrive because you feel good while eating them.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

well said Shine. I think that sums up my comments in various threads today as well. We have all been reacting to little things. There must be something in the air.

Let&#39;s not forget the other primates; chimpanzees definitely aren&#39;t fermenting anything. They don&#39;t just eat leaves, either; I know I&#39;ve seen videos of them stripping bark off of branches and eating it. (I&#39;m assuming that&#39;s high fiber carbs?) and of course we know they eat fruit.

As Shine points out, there is no specific test for grain intolerance. Unless, of course, you&#39;ve developed celiac disease; that&#39;s pretty definite.

I still think my original ideas have not been refuted. Current percentages of intolerance doesn&#39;t mean that evolution has back-fired, it just means that those people may have descended from the original humans with less tolerance.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast