Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whole rotisserie chickens page

lbt
    lbt is offline Member

whole rotisserie chickens

Primal Fuel
    I'm sitting here making my grocery list and remember that our Whole Foods runs a special on rotisserie chickens on Sundays. How many meals can you make off of a whole chicken? I'm single, so it's just for one person. I'm thinking I might get them to quarter it for me to make it easier to distribute between meals.

rozska is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, depends on what else I'm eating with it. I'm a single person, and I'd say easily 4-6. I eat the thigh/leg/wing as one meal (which means two) then put the breast meat in other things -- for example, use it for 4 salads. Then I boil the bones for stock.
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rozska View Post
    I eat the thigh/leg/wing as one meal (which means two) then put the breast meat in other things -- for example, use it for 4 salads. Then I boil the bones for stock.
    This is how it works for me too. However, Mr. Ski can polish off most of the bird in one sitting (both legs, thighs & wings). Those rotisserie chickens are very easy to cut up so you probably don't need to ask the deli person to do that for you.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    For 1 small female that eats like a horse: 2 legs and 1 breast as 1 meal, 1 salad or 2 curry meals per breast half left, wings as snacks, stock with the carcass.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I'm a female with a big appetite. I limit myself to half a chicken, then I can chop up the other half for at least two more meals by putting it in salads or soups.

lbt
    lbt is offline Member
    Those rotisserie chickens are very easy to cut up so you probably don't need to ask the deli person to do that for you.
    Clearly, you haven't been in my kitchen and seen my knives and/or seen my :ahem: grace.

For 1 small female that eats like a horse
    Lol, I need to be more like you.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Lbt, those birds can be disassembled with just the hands, Viking style. That's what I generally do.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Lbt, those birds can be disassembled with just the hands, Viking style.
    LOL! They do fall apart easily. We sometimes get the rotisserie cornish hens (1 each). I refer to it as Flintstone food...no utensils required.

lbt
    lbt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Lbt, those birds can be disassembled with just the hands, Viking style. That's what I generally do.
    This is all great advice! Thanks to all of you.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lbt View Post
    Clearly, you haven't been in my kitchen and seen my knives and/or seen my :ahem: grace.
    I'm a single person too. I usually get 4 to 6 meals plus I add side vegetables. When I bring home one of the family sized roasted chickens, I leave it to cool on the counter just until I can handle it and then it's so easy to simply break it apart. I bought a package of disposable gloves and it really cuts down on the mess. I remove the leg portion at the thigh joint, remove the wings, take off the back with the ribs bones, pull out the cartllidge between the breasts or lift off the 2 sides of the breasts. While the chicken is fairly warm everything comes off easily. Once it's been in the refrigerator it's harder to do neat divisions. All of the bones, cartildge, wing tips, fat and any other juice I put in a plastic bag and freeze. Later, when I have enough bones (usually 2 family size chickens) I make bone broth. The chicken legs and wings will still have the bones in them, since the broth is only for me, no other takers in the house, I eat the meat and throw those bones in the freezer bag too. The family size chickens are $7.99 here but I get so many meals I think it's worth it. I have heard that it's far more economical to buy a chicken on sale and learn to roast it. I may give it a try.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 03-13-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast