Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Much Longer Can I do this for? page

shoreline is offline Member

Unhappy How Much Longer Can I do this for?

Well, It's week 2 on Primal and I'm having some serious challenges following this lifestyle change. I've always eaten a lot of grains. I allowed myself to have grains only 1 day a week and the rest of the time just focused on eating meat, eggs veggies and abit of dairy and organic soya milk in my morning smoothie with Hemp protein powder.
    The first couple of days were great, I had energy and my lifelong addiction to grains seemed to slip away. By day 3 I was concerned I might get constipated with all the meat but had the exact opposite problem and had to take some medication (which I hate to do). Around the 5th day I felt "normal again but my energy level had gone down along with several pounds of weight loss.
    A few more days passed and I physically was feeling worse, my stomach felt heavy and was a bit tender to the touch (I still workout and run and this was not affected other than being more tired). On day 11 now I am suffering from anxiety (i think a byproduct) from gas being buiilt up in my system. I tried Steel Cut oats for dinner the other night and had some white flour products to see if things would get better but ther results were negligilbe.
    I love the idea of eating primaly but with the anxiety coupled with intestingal challenges I'm not sure how much longer I can do this for (as a side note I allow one cheat day per week where i can eat whatever i want). Anyone else faced with challenges in the beginning

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Hey Shoreline. If you get plenty of vegetables, you will have more fiber than you need at a greater nutritional value than grains. Breaking the addiction is difficult, as gluten contains opiods and affects the pleasure center of the brain just like heroin does. You /might/ be experiencing the "low carb flu", which happens to some people as their bodies adjust from running off carbs to burning fats. I hope you feel better soon!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Soy milk. Liquid cancer. Get rid of it.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Hemp protein powder is meant to be expensive and contains incomplete protein chains as well.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Geez, you've barely begun, your system hasn't even had a chance to adapt yet. There are tons of remedies for gas and other intestinal problems while you're waiting. The evident anxiety disorder is a separate matter ... I tend to obsess and worry about stuff like that too. But really, grains and soy are not your friend. Have you read the book yet, or much other print and online material about this stuff?

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Never get good results unless grains are ditched 100%.Grumpy Caveman is spot on about Soy milk,nasty stuff.

If energy continues to be a concern try easing on the exercise for a while and consider supplementing with CoEnzyme Q10.

Ange is offline Junior Member
    Hi
    I've been feeling a little off lately too. I'm now completing my 3rd week and i too am getting anxiety due to some of the changes. Not sure how much weight i've lost (can't handle the scales anymore) but i've probably dropped down a dress size. The first 2 weeks were amazing. I've tried prescription diet pills (reductil/meridian) in the past which shut down my appetite and stopping the grains seems to work better than the reductil. I'm even having regular bowel movements which has always been a struggle with me, even though the stools have been slightly smaller than usual. Oh yeah and the bad smell is no longer. After years of dieting and being a carb queen, for the first time in my life i feel in control. No cravings, no grains. My love affair with banana bread has officially ended. I was great until last weekend that is. During a bowel movement i had some blood. Not in my stool (not that i can see) I didn't struggle..you know moving it but i felt the stool was a little hard or something and maybe i ripped some skin cause i had blood on the toilet paper and a little in the bowl. It wasn't a lot but plenty enough to scare the shit out of me. Now i'm too scared to go to the toilet because everytime i have a bowel movement i have some blood. I don't get it my vegie intake has even gone up. I don't know, maybe it's nothing but now i can't stop thinking cancer. I'm terrified of going to the doctor. I'm hoping it's something that will go away but it's scared me enough to think maybe i should have some grains even though i don't want to. Apart from the blood i feel fine, most of the bloating is gone, my energy is returning, my skins cleared up, i even signed up for crossfit next week. I know this way of eating is the right way for me, but i'm now so panicked about the blood i'm thinking maybe i should go back to eating some grains and see if it goes away. Have you been eating a lot of red meat? I'm not a red meat eater until recently, i don't feel that great eating a lot of meat or when eating too much protein.Maybe it's the soy that's causing your bloating. I've never done well with soy, i don't trust it. Most days i wake up and can feel my belly has shrunk but some days i do feel a little more bloated, especially after too much coffee but find it passes the next day. I think it would be a shame if we both gave up on primal considering it works for us but can't get over the anxiety.
    Last edited by Ange; 10-07-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Agne: You could have a bleeding hemmoroid or a cut on your sphictor. Happens more than you think. I had a bad time with it for a spell that I ended up getting surgery to fix it. Everything worked out and now I have no more issues.

Sounds like you need more liquids in your diet.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    also lots of fats. Include some nuts (macadamias are good) and coconut oil.

shoreline is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The soy milk I us is Organic Whole bean non GMO - is this still considered bad?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast