Thread: Use It Up page

primalpatty is offline Senior Member

Use It Up

I made this awesome left-over stir fry this morning for breakfast. Who says this WOE is expensive?!

I had baked some chicken thighs the other day, and had about one and a half left. Normally when I bake chicken I drink the wonderfully seasoned chicken fat/juices in the bottom of the pan (OK, I lay my face in the pan and lap it up! Wanna make something of it?) but I wasn't all that hungry that night. Which is why there was one and a half chicken thighs left over (I had eaten a half thigh and the crispy skin off both). Not wanting to waste that wonderful fat, I put it in a teeny container in the fridge. Was about a Tbsp. I just KNEW I'd think of something wonderful to do with it. Sure enough...

This morning I put the seasoned chicken fat in the bottom of a frying pan, cut the meat off the bone and diced it (saving the bones for stock), and tossed it into the pan. I found some on-its-last-legs asparagus in the bottom of the fridge. I cut off the by-now woody stems and diced the tender tips. I also diced up the last slice of a red pepper and tossed that in. I put a lid on the pan so that the veggies could cook a bit in their own steam, then took the lid off and turned the heat up to high for a final crisping. The chicken fat was already seasoned from its previous incarnation, so no need to even add salt.

Mushrooms would have been a wonderful addition to this if I'd had some. But it was absolutely yummy as it was (and pretty, too), and used up some leftovers.

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds yummy!

I love making new creations from leftovers!