Thread: White spots on nails after switching to primal and supplementing zinc...huhwhat? page

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member

White spots on nails after switching to primal and supplementing zinc...huhwhat?

Primal Fuel
    I never really got white spots on my nails until soon after I started supplementing with 60mg albion zinc chelate for my thyroid and acne; now I have two rather large white patches near the bases of two nails. Any reason why this would happen? I've always seen the spots attributed to zinc deficiency, so it makes no sense for them to appear AFTER starting zinc supplementation and eating better food.

I've also been taking 1000mg Vit. C and 400mg magnesium glycinate for a while now, and take about 10,000 IU of Vit. D and 100mcg Selenium.

Any ideas?

jarnapal is offline Member
    I suspect calcium. As zinc shouldn't be problem with paleo diet, calcium could. I started to drink kefir alot and I haven't had any spots anymore. These old ones are just growing out now...

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I got interested and looked it up. Check the links. I learned that it could be almost anything from a nutrient deficiency to leprosy. I still don't have an answer for you. Sorry. Really hope it isn't leprosy.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-causes-...ingernails.htm

ttp://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/healthy-fingernails-clues-about-health

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    How much meat are you eating? Meat contains a fair amount of zinc and so if you are eating more meat and also added a supplement then maybe you are consuming too much zinc? There are side effects to consuming too much of certain vitamins and minerals. Not sure what happens when you eat too much zinc but if you are eating a fair amount of meat then supplementing is probably not necessary for zinc.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    it could be almost anything from a nutrient deficiency to leprosy. Sorry. Really hope it isn't leprosy.
    Bahahahaha!

Sorry, I have nothing productive to add. Fun fact: The white spots on my nails disappeared after going primal. Go figure.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    cross posting from another thread:
    Emily Dean has a great post about zinc.
    http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogsp...evolution.html

Hunter gatherers averaged 43 mg daily (above the RDA safety zone "upper tolerable limit" of 40mg daily, but below the lowest level where there begins to be issues with copper absorption, which is around 60mg daily, but is likely not a serious problem until 150mg daily). A Standard American averages much, much less than all those numbers

This indicates that the RDA/RDI of 15 mg is a level at which zinc insufficiency would be a serious problem.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by QuirkyPixy View Post
    I never really got white spots on my nails until soon after I started supplementing with 60mg albion zinc chelate for my thyroid and acne;
    It's quite puzzling why it would show up now unless leukonychia could also be caused by another mineral deficiency......like, mmmm, copper deficiency.

60 mg per day is a lot of zinc. what about taking that much every other day? or four times a week? Might be worth it to track what you get from diet then add as needed to achieve an intake of 20-50 mg per day *from all sources*.

I used to shoot for 30 mg per day from all sources but seem to be doing fine now on 20-25 (closer to 20) mg per day now that I'm not excessively consuming calcium.

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order