Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bacon fat reuse? page

alydar is offline Member

Bacon fat reuse?

Primal Fuel
    For the last 4 times or so I cooked bacon I saved the grease and put it into a mason jar. My mother said she heard you're not supposed to reheat oils because they become toxic.

Does this apply to bacon grease? I used some this morning for the first time to make an omlette (it was insanely delicious!! btw )

If this is a safe practice, how long can you store bacon grease in the fridge?

Thanks!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Bacon grease stores very well in the fridge for quite some time. I use mine for making primal mayo. I don't really have bacon all that often though. (a cardinal sin, I know)

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    My first boyfriend's family would save bacon grease from each breakfast, un-refridgerated, for months. It never went bad. They were careful to strain it thought. I would imagine you could put it in the fridge if you were really concerned, but there are generations of Southern cooks who keep bacon grease by the stove with no problems.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Bacon grease is kinda like honey: when stored properly (and to a large extent, improperly), it lasts forever. I've never heard of it being bad to reuse bacon grease, except from the anti-sat fat camp.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Since it is a saturated fat, it's very stable. Now veggie oils OTOH.... those are rancid from the get go, most often.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Wow. i just throw the stuff out. I guess I'll start saving it and using it now.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
    Wow. i just throw the stuff out. I guess I'll start saving it and using it now.
    LOL! I strain it through a paper towel into a jar.

alydar is offline Member
    Cool! Thanks everyone!!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    After I cook bacon I line a mason jar with a coffee filter and then strain the bacon grease through it. I have jars of bacon grease in my fridge that are approaching 1 yr old and taste/smell/look fine to me.

The stuff never goes bad...

edit: I just realized I have 4 jars of bacon grease why am I still saving this stuff?!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I just eat it at the time....never seem to have any leftover to store! Am I cooking it wrong or something?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast