Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and figuring this out page

Ban-McD's is offline Junior Member

New and figuring this out

Shop Now
    Ok, so I am new to the site but have been eating a diet fairly similar for a while now, but a little guidance from some expierienced folks would be good. I am 5'10" 149 Lean body weight. If I have read and understand correctly my intake should be:
    Protein approx 225 gram max
    Carbs between 0-50 grams a day
    Fat doesnt really matter but should make up majority of intake.
    I do avoid grains and have for a while now, my veg intake i usually leafy greens ( spinach, chard, collards) Protein is usually fish or steak with eggs thrown in there and lots of pecans and almonds for snacking. Oh and cant forget bacon.
    How am I looking here for a Primal diet?

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    What are your goals? If you are already lean and don't want to lose weight, you can easily up the carbs if you want to. Also, I think your protein might be higher than necessary. If we take the generous formula of a gram per pound of body weight, you're overeating on proteins. It won't kill you, but it's not necessary.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a nut lover, so I wouldn't constantly snack on those, other than that it seems you're already good so just keep going. If you don't have specific goals (ie: really lean out or put on muscle, etc) I wouldn't really tweak too much. Have you been low carb before? If you mostly eat those leafy greens then you have been, but if you don't need to lose weight there's no need to be so low on carbs, but it doesn't hurt either. I'm in that 0-50 range because I mostly eat leafy greens and don't care to take in many more carbs. It has NOT made me lose tons of weight though so no need to stress.

Goals keep bodyfat at my current level ( about 6.5%) while gaining muscle. I do kinda feel I am may be overeating on Protein though, 225 is my "max goal" but I seem to go over quite frequently. I find it hard to mindest that fat is fine and that may be why I overconsume Protein.

Ultimate goal - Become as primal as possible

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    If those are your goals, then you look good. As someone else mentioned, you can probably go as high as 150 on your carbs & still do fine. Just make sure what you eat is real food, & you'll be all sorts of healthy. Don't forget to play in the sunshine!
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

I would suggest tracking on fitday (or something else) to make sure that 60-70% of your daily intake is fats, and then adjust your protein and carbs to fit the rest. If you want to gain muscle, you will need more than 50g carbs a day, because low-carb is not the magic bullet.

Yeah, I have done low carb before,I guess i have been low carb for a few months now, but I kinda stumbled upon the site here. The ideas and principles make more sense, Mark has it nailed down with all he talks about. I have some tweaking to do with some of the diet for most part I want to stay 0-50grams. But if I understand correctly excess protein will be converted to glycogen( i think) which I dont want, but i do work out 5 days a week so a little extra may not be bad

Thanks unchatenfrance, I like to hear you say that. I have graudually been upping the fat have made it to about 62% a day, when I dont overconsume protein. I will keep on with that. I dig percentages so I can work with that.
    @ aboutsaffron - I love the advice, I think I have cleared out all "unreal" food by now, besides my occasional slip for my beloved SPAM.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    That's a good question, though - if the goals are to maximize fat loss how would the ratio tip contrasted to maximizing bulking up?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    That's a good question, though - if the goals are to maximize fat loss how would the ratio tip contrasted to maximizing bulking up?
    To lose weight, keep carbs under 150 (the exact number will depend on the individual and what stage of fat loss they're at - to go from lean to leaner, for women especially, ultra-low-carb may not be effective) and have a modest caloric deficit. For bulking up, you need calories above maintenance and more carbs. Fat intake and adequate protein (appropriate to the individual) are the constants in both scenarios.

EDIT: Sorry, for bulking up, when I said "more carbs" I meant closer to the 150 mark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast