Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: Veggies page

jammies is offline Senior Member

RE: Veggies

Primal Fuel
    For the most part, I really, really enjoy the primal way of eating . However if I just eat based on what I want, not what I think I should eat, I find myself eating lots of meat, ghee, olive oil, avocado, and fruit. I do eat sauteed mushrooms, spinach, some cauliflower, celery, carrots and salad a few times a week. But I don't really eat the massive amounts of veggies I think I should.

So, do people make themselves eat their veggies? Will I eventually develop nutritional deficiencies without them?

Thanks for your thoughts!

jpatton624 is offline Member
    I like to saute (in coconut oil/duck fat) zucchini/squash slices and then throw spinach + mixed greens on top at the end, mixed up with some red/normal pepper + a little salt and you got yourself some super tasty, easily digestible veggies.

Also: broccoli with goat cheddar, amazing.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I like to make main dishes that involve plenty of veggies. things like omelets, curries and veggie quiches.

amandatea is offline Member
    I think as you go on in the primal way of life, you might start to like veggies more. As you lose that strong pallet for sugar and starch, veggies seem less "tasteless" and more interesting. At least that's how it worked for me. Not sure how new you are to this though.

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables have replaced the base of the meal for me like pasta, rice used to occupy.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    For the most part, I really, really enjoy the primal way of eating . However if I just eat based on what I want, not what I think I should eat, I find myself eating lots of meat, ghee, olive oil, avocado, and fruit. I do eat sauteed mushrooms, spinach, some cauliflower, celery, carrots and salad a few times a week. But I don't really eat the massive amounts of veggies I think I should.

So, do people make themselves eat their veggies? Will I eventually develop nutritional deficiencies without them?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    The bottom of the PB Pyramid is veg & fruit so based on that we should be having a good amount of them. I believe that we should eat veggies every day (I eat them with almost every meal) for our bodies to get all those wonderful nutrients (plus fiber). If weight loss is not a concern then a combo of fruit & veg would work but I really do think it's healthy to have a good portion of plants every day.

I don't "make" myself eat veggies. I love veggies but don't really care for fruit. (Probably the only one here. LOL) There are so many delicious ways to incorporate veggies into meals. Maybe some new recipes would help like veggies more?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i pretty much love eating vegetables, so i don't have to make myself eat them. however, i also recognize that not all vegetables taste great. enter fats and spices. i usually cook my veggies in butter or bacon fat, which adds to the flavor. imagine brussell sprouts without fat--crazy bitter. the bacon fat and a little cheese on top really softens and complements them so you get the flavor without the bite. you can saute pretty much any veggie that way and improve the taste. you can also roast veggies in the oven with a mix of spices and olive oil, and i think you would have trouble finding a person who did not like them.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I usually eat fruit with breakfast and veggies with lunch and dinner. Sometimes I do veggies at all three meals. I don't really think about it anymore, that's just what we have and every meal, to me, has to have produce and protein (I would say fat, but I always cook my meat and veggies in plenty of fat

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat a lot of fruit but I demolish veggies. We steam sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and everything else. We try our best to incorporate them in almost every meal. Omelets with mushrooms, bell peppers, onions or whatever we have in the house. It adds a little zest and knocks out a few portions right off the bat.

We typically do three veggies a night but in smaller portions. The leftovers we eat the next day for snacks or with lunch. I never ate veggies very often before the PB but now can't imagine a day without them.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Grok is offline Senior Member
    I think Mark said somewhere that you can start with 2-3 servings of vegetables a day and work yourself up to 8-9 servings a day.

Top 10 Fall Vegetables

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast