Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailgating page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Tailgating

Hi Everyone;

I am going to a football game on Sunday with a group of people I don't know super well. I would love to contribute some primal items for food and beverages (alcohol, too) that will be delish and not overly conspicuous. I don't eat nightshades, eggs, or dairy (yes - I'm high maintenance even by PB standards )

I am a big fan of the 20% rule, but eating primal keeps my arthritis much more in check and I am still paying for a chinese dinner on Saturday. So in the interest of self-preservation I'd like to stay closer to primal this weekend.

Thanks!!!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, those restrictions do make it tough! How about kale chips (these went over BIG at my office picnic), crudites with a roasted garlic dip, chicken wings...
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    With regards to alcohol drinks, I'm pretty sure most clear alcohols are gluten free and low carb. So stuff like alcohol, rum, tequila.. Then you can mix it with fruit juice/soda water. An example of this would be the NorCal Margarita, would love to try those haha..
    Nonalcoholic beverages you could just do some water maybe with some lemon/lime juice, possibly carbonated to make it more soda like :P. Iced tea could also be yummy, don't know a good recipe though.
    Not too certain about foods, maybe some small meatballs or sausages that people can eat with toothpicks?

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    I had started a thread about this awhile ago. But any kind of meat is really east to BBQ up while tailgating. I also make huge omlette's when we first arrive in an omlette pan. Makes it way easier. And Bacon of course. When i induldge with alcohol while tailgating i try and stick with potato vodka. Don't really know if it any better though.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    OK I have your solution.

Get a large Jar of the biggest peppercini peppers you can find. Drain the juice off of them.

Gently slice them down one side so you can get inside and clean them out (seeds) but still leave the pepper as intact as you can (don't cut through both sides)

Stuff the peppers with your favorite fresh sausage and fold the pepper closed again.

Wrap the peppers with 1/2 a strip of uncured smoked bacon each and stab a toothpick through it or put them 4 to a skewer.

Bar-b-q those bad boys for about 4 minutes on a side or until the sausage and bacon are cooked completely.

Watch your friends devour them!

My family went through two dozen of those bad boys in about 5 minutes at a reunion a few weeks back.

TheFoodLovers is offline Senior Member
    ^ I thought about stuffed peppers too, but they are generally thought of as nightshades. They would be killer, though. Too bad...

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I think I will do the veggie platter with dip....Barbey girl, do you have a good recipe for roasted garlic dip and kale chips?

Karma - that sounds soooo delicious, I need to figure out a pepper substitute though. I have some cheat leeway with some things, but nightshades are killer for me.

As for alcohol - I was thinking about gin and tonics? Any thoughts on those?

Also - what about shrimp on the grill - is that too foofoo for tailgating?

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    If you want to be in a semi-beer place without the gluten, Redbridge is a brand of gluten free beer (it's made from sorghum, a grain that doesn't contain gluten). I'm also a big fan of hard cider, particularly the drier strongbow or woodchuck draft.

It's high in carbs, but I love to stuff dates with goat cheese and/or a pecan half and then wrap it in bacon and broil (or grill) until the bacon is crispy.

Shrimp is not to foofoo for talegating in my neck of the woods. Especially if you pre-skewer them for easy flipping.

Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    If you want to be in a semi-beer place without the gluten, Redbridge is a brand of gluten free beer (it's made from sorghum, a grain that doesn't contain gluten). I'm also a big fan of hard cider, particularly the drier strongbow or woodchuck draft.

It's high in carbs, but I love to stuff dates with goat cheese and/or a pecan half and then wrap it in bacon and broil (or grill) until the bacon is crispy.

Shrimp is not to foofoo for tailgating in my neck of the woods. Especially if you pre-skewer them for easy flipping.
    Great ideas! I like hard cider and the date idea.... I think I will bring both!

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post

Shrimp is not to foofoo for talegating in my neck of the woods. Especially if you pre-skewer them for easy flipping.

I also use bacon wrapped dried apricots for appetizers and the crowd always raves about them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast