Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what am I doing wrong?? page

Louise is offline Junior Member

Unhappy what am I doing wrong??

Shop Now
    I am having trouble, not with the eating that has been easy I have been eating primal for 7 weeks, I eat 3 meals each day, on a couple of days I have missed a meal because I am not hungry (crazy for me!!) But the weight is not coming off. I have put all my effort in to the eating program (isn't that 80% of the issue?)
    I clean houses as a job, 4 mornings a week, so I am not inactive.
    Is the diet alone enough, I was going to the gym for the 1st 4-5weeks to exercise, but got really discouraged (I already had a membership)
    I am worried that I am eating too much of the fats, I love the stuff, I have it with everything!
    I have cut back on the vegetables mainly just having them in the evening and I have stopped eating fruit too, as I am worried that the carbs are to high. An evening treat is dark chocolate (1oz every couple of days)Also about 2-3 times a week I have a flat white coffee. Would these 2 vices stop weight loss.
    Please does anybody have some ideas on what I should do to get this weight moving?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    It would be helpful if you posted your stats, and a daily food journal.

Ok this is a normal day for me:

When I get up I have a cup of tea (with a splash of raw milk)
    Breakfast: 2 eggs (scrambled or poached), with bacon or what ever meat is left over from dinner (steak, chicken, pork) and a coffee with raw cream. OR a smoothie - 1 egg yoke, 2 tablespoons protein powder, 2 tablespoons raw cream 1-2 tablespoons coconut cream, vanilla + water.
    While making lunch I would normally have and other coffee with cream
    Lunch: Mince meat sauteed in a little duck fat and mixed with a Tablespoon of sour cream, sometimes with a poached egg or some bacon. Or scrambled eggs with some meat on the side.
    Some afternoons I have 1-2 cups of tea again with the splash of raw milk.
    Dinner: Meat (pork, beef, lamb or chicken - I am not keen on fish) mashed parsnip or mashed cauliflower, and zucchini or broccoli with butter.
    I have another cup of tea an hour or so after dinner.

I am 44 years old next month, 5ft 6 tall, I have good muscle mass under my fat, I weight about 79kg (174lbs) I would like to weight about 65kg (143lbs). I love being strong so have built good muscle up over the years - I use to work out with a female body builder, I can feel that the muscle is still there, but boy the fat hides it well!!
    Last edited by Louise; 10-06-2010 at 10:43 PM.

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    Try tracking your daily food intake on fitday or one of the other sites for a couple of weeks. It might help you get an idea of exactly what your are putting in you. You might find were you need to tweek your menu.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Louise,

You've not said whether you've got a copy of the book (if not, why not...?) but in there Mark states that the optimum carb range for "effortless weight loss" (his words) is between 50 and 100g, so cutting back is probably not the thing to be doing (and some folk do better on a little more than that).

Now I'm a fat one to talk about this (literally!) but veggies are the cornerstone of the Primal Food Pyramid (that and meat - probably why I'm not doing too well - I can't afford the latter, and I don't care for much of the former!)

Wish I had good muscle mass under my fat!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

I do indeed have the book and the recipe book too. Which is why I am sure I am misunderstanding something, I have been worried about my carb intake, but as you say Vegeatables are so important. I would love to eat some fruit, blueberrys and cream or diced apple with cream, I am salivating just thinking about it!

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Hi Louise from the sunny Manawatu! I am no expert on the PB diet but I have found the weight loss to be slow, but it is coming off. I am 5ft 11inches and weigh 83kg. In the 5 months I have been following I have lost 3kg and 5 inches from my torso, all my trousers are all far too big for me now. I do drink wine 3-4 times a week but only generally a glass and I workout (Curves) 3 times a week strength training and do 2 one hour walks a week and a bit of kettlebell throwing here and there. I am similar age to you too. I was hoping my weight loss was going to be a bit quicker but I have just decided that if I can lose 3kg effortlessly by avoiding grains and sugar then in theory more will come off as times goes on. I do only have two meals a day because I am rarely hungry until about 11am most days. Other more knowledgeable people on this forum may be able to shed more light on your situation, either way good luck with it. By the way have you measured yourself ie bust, waist, belly, hips etc to see if they have diminished at all?

No I did not think to measure myself! In the first few weeks I did feel that some of my jeans were fitting better. Maybe I am expecting to much to soon, I would be very happy with your results, well done you!!! I will do the daily food intake on fitday that skink531 suggested and maybe relax a little, the eating plan is so easy for me, i feel great on it. I just worry about becoming fixated on numbers, when I was a young lass I was right into counting everything, but now I just don't get a kick out of the continual thought of what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat it. That is what I like best - just eat when you are hungry, which is not as often on Primal.
    So good to know there is another Primal Kiwi.
    Thanks, I feel less worried.

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    Fitday is good, but do be carefull not to obses over it(that would be anti-primal). Thats why I say for a couple of weeks then stop. When I bought all my food in pre-packaged boxes I could easily tell you how many grams of carbs was in it. But when all your food comes from the butcher or produce section - NO MORE LABELS. Fitday helped me no what X# of carbs looks like, as well as what X% Fat, Y% Protein, and Z% Carbs looks like on your plate. Just remember it is just a tool to give you a rough idea. Let your body tell you what is right.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Cutting my carbs waaaay down does not help me. I'm far better off eating a small potato or sweetpotato or an apple everyday. And I must must must do long slow movement like walking or elliptical.
    I'm a nurse so I hear ya on wishing my work was enough exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast