Thread: Organic Veggies & Bugs page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Organic Veggies & Bugs

So I bought a CSA share a couple months ago and have been loving it. Organic local seasonal veggies each week with pick up near my house, could not ask for more.

The last couple weeks though there have been a tish bit more 'insects' then I am used to. Nothing crazy, but more the type of veggies makes it a bit harder to just 'rinse' and eat. Cauliflower, cabbage, things like that.

So, the question is.....do I fret over them? I know primal/paleo includes an 'insect' category, but I am not sure this is what it meant. I am not a germaphobe by ANY means....I tend to be just a rinse real quick and eat, I feel that a few added items in my food is probably not a bad thing. But when I look at a head of cauliflower and see a few pests that I cannot remove through normal means, I wonder....are they safe to eat? Do I need to take other measures (soaking in salt water....whatever)? Or do I just add them into my fried cauliflower rice and consider it part of a healthy diet? Or are their concerns to eating them?

I am thinking I could just ignore and cook them in my dishes for the most part...but sort of want to make sure there are not things I need to worry about.

Thoughts? Research links anyone?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Most bugs are edible. Very few are harmful, so I don't think you need to worry about eating anything that would hurt you.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    If I eat bugs and I don't know they are there, I don't worry about it. But if I see them there I tend to put in a bowl with salt in and let it sit for 10 mins or so which normally removes them from the plant/vegetable.

FMN
    FMN is offline Senior Member
    I would thank your farmer! Those bugs are pretty good evidence that your veggies are really organic, especially at this time of the year. We use to grow for a few farmer's markets and actually had a customer accuse using chemicals because our lettuce was too pretty! A pretty good back-handed compliment, IMO.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Its like mixed feelings when I go through my CSA box. If I see some scarred lettuce or greens, I smile because I know buggies are present, then there is that 'social training' part of my head that tries to kick in and say 'oh, its not perfect'. BAH, silly head.

I rinsed my cauliflower a bit tonight and tried to not let my perfectionism kick in, pulsed it in the food processor, and cooked up my fried 'rice' and focused on the extra protein I was getting. It was still with mixed feelings, but I told myself it was no more risky then eating sushi or raw eggs (which I do fairly often). Its funny, I KNOW I have eaten plenty of insects in my produce, its just when you are going through white cauliflower and you can actually 'see' them that the brain starts to overthink the situation.

My fried cauliflower (+ a couple buggies) rice with curried chicken was delish

MoBob is offline Member
    Recently, we've been eating our organic veggies from our backyard garden and I didn't know there were worms in them until they fell out on my last 2 bites. Didn't taste any different...

During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    BLEAH.
    It still grosses me out to find bugs in my veggies.
    I'm one of those people that will pick through and make sure they're all out.

I did get a small frog in my CSA lettuce once, though. He was cool

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I've dealt with critters in my greens by soaking them in water with a little vinegar for like 10 minutes... bugs tend to evacuate pretty quick.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    I've dealt with critters in my greens by soaking them in water with a little vinegar for like 10 minutes... bugs tend to evacuate pretty quick.
    Me too. I use water, vinegar + lemon juice. I just do not like bugs in the house, fridge or in my body. Ewww. I look over my box before I bring it in the house and shake out any greens hoping at least some things will fall out. LOL

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been growing my own kale, and lately there are some leaves that just aren't washable because of the sheer volume of aphid eggs. I've seen ladybugs in my yard; they must be on a vegetarian diet or something.