Thread: Will the insulin spike from milk hender fat burning? page

mcarnage is offline Junior Member

Will the insulin spike from milk hender fat burning?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am almost ripped I just need to burn a tiny bit of fat and I will be perfect. I love drinking milk I know its not exactly primal but I love it, I live in Iowa so I can't get raw milk but I do drink full fat organic grass feed non homogenized. The best I can get, here is my question to all the smart primals out there.
    Is me drinking this milk holding me back? I feel dumb for not totally understanding this.
    Milk is highly insulinogenic and we primal people don't want our insulin levels high. Elevated insulin levels tell our bodies to store fat. Most of the time I drink milk post workout but I occasionally like to start my day with it as well either from drinking it or making a cereal out of it. I like to take shredded coconut and some berries and thats my cereal. When ever I drink milk I squeeze some stevia drops and sprinkle cinnamon in there. Its tasty and I've heard that cinnamon can help lower insulin levels?
    Anyways I just want to know, does the milk stay or does it have to go? My only concern is how it effects the fat burning process, milk doesn't cause me any problems and eventually one day I'll switch to raw milk when I can get my hands on it.
    Also a thing to note is that I'm not really trying to loose weight, my intent is to gain muscle and burn fat. My build is like that of a wrestler, in fact I am an mma fighter and I know milk is great for building muscle.
    Thanks guys, help me out!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    You're right, milk is great for adding muscle, but it isn't going to help with burning off your fat. The GOMAD plan is awesome for bulking (or fulking) up. but if you're wanting to stay trim then I'd avoid it. Perhaps you could mix whey protein in a little water so it's fairly thick. That would give you protein without the milk sugars. Stevia will also spike your insulin but at the same time won't raise your blood sugar. I mix it in with creating to help get it into my muscles. (Insulin has more than one function)

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    If you have high blood sugar then insulin will store glucose in your fat cells, but it will also help get amino acids into your muscle tissue. So, insulin isn't just your enemy when you're trying to gain muscle.

Jib
    Jib is offline Junior Member
    I haven't read much about this, so I can't say it will help, but just as a suggestion, I *highly* recommend culturing your milk.

I've been using kefir grains and making kefir at home for over half a year now, and I heavily, heavily prefer it to drinking milk "straight." I recently got two other cultures as well that should be on the way, namely viili and matsoni (Caspian sea yogurt). All of these cultures work at room temperature, so you pour some cold milk over them, and in 24 hours or so you've got your fermented milk.

I remember reading an article somewhere about sourdough bread made in the traditional manner having a lower score on the glycemic index than regular, un-fermented grain bread. It was true for both white-bread sourdough and whole-grain sourdough, the whole-grain sourdough being the lowest.

So I imagine that fermented milk is lower on the glycemic index as well; the grains *do* grow, and though you can eat the spare grains (and it's recommended that you do), you're not going to be eating those on a regular basis, and at least some of the lactose/carbs in the milk must go to building more kefir grain colonies. Worst case scenario, the net carb content is about the same, though I still think there's a good chance that the insulin spike isn't as severe in fermented milk products such as kefir as it is in un-fermented, "straight" milk.

And as I mentioned viili and matsoni...there are so many to choose from! Filmjolk, buttermilk, piima -- there are others I've heard of, such as skyr, which I've never seen cultures available for, but you get the idea I really believe the benefits go far beyond a possibly improved glycemic index; taste, texture, probiotics, and not to mention the helpful substances that result from the fermentation process, such as "kefiran" in kefir, which is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties. And not to mention that if it turns out you like these ferments that you make yourself, you can save a ton of money that you would've had to spend otherwise on commercial kefir/yogurt/etc.

Not to push all this on you (well, admittedly, I kind of am...sorry about that! What can I say, I'm a huge fan ), but yeah, I highly recommend at least considering it and seeing if it would be something you're interested in. But just to make it clear that I'm not trying to go off topic here, I do think the possibility that fermented milk has a less extreme effect on insulin levels is worth taking into consideration, if that is the only reason you're considering for keeping dairy in your diet or not (and please excuse me for mentioning all this other stuff if it has nothing to do with what you were looking for).

As for your original question: unfortunately, I'm not well-researched enough in that area to answer your question. See: friendly suggestion above X) Take care!

Alan M is offline Senior Member
    Episode 5 of Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution Podcast may be worth listening to. They start talking about dairy on the first question.