Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split Pea Soup page

amandatea is offline Member

Split Pea Soup

Shop Now
    I wonder how we feel about split pea soup. It seems kind of like a bean or lentil, although it's called a pea so i wonder if it's on the primal menu. Forgive me if there are any posts or obvious info about this. I just REALLY love pea soup. The kind i buy - in a can - has a pretty pure list of ingredients - "Water, Yellow Peas, Lard, Salt, Onion Powder and Spice". That's it. How does that sound to you guys?
    Last edited by amandatea; 10-06-2010 at 10:36 AM.

RednGreen is offline Member
    I have no idea, but I love how people have resorted to apologizing if there is already a post on their topic for fear of being attacked by the hard-core MDA readers- I do it too lol!

I love split pea soup and I love pea salad as well- peas, mayo, shredded cheese, chopped onion and boiled egg. Delish! Although I haven't indulged since going primal because I haven't been sure about peas either.
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Haha. Damn! I was hoping for an answer. And, yeah, I just really hate asking stupid questions

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Pea = legume = technically not PB.

However I've seen snow peas used in recipes on the main MDA site...

I'd enjoy it as a treat In fact, I tried making ham and split pea soup, and although it tasted amazing by then I was "sensitised" so bloated up like a balloon! Just beware, start off with a small bowl....

RednGreen is offline Member
    Thanks for the info NMG!
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I'd eat peas - happily. I'm sure they'd have appeared naturally , seasonally, and been used - cooked of course. And dried ones, with bacon or ham and onions - make stunning soup! Soak up lots of lard too.....

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I know beans like kidney, butter and other sorts are very toxic to eat when raw, but what about broad beans and peas? I eat them all the time from my Dad's garden with no problem. Would Grok have stumbled upon any peas?
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    I love split pea and ham soup and don't worry about it being a legume. But I do make sure I soak them overnight first and then cook them. I also eat frozen peas and broad beans from the garden, they have never upset my stomach - it's wheat that is a problem for me! One can't be too anal about the whole PB thing, you have to do what fits in with your digestive system and you are getting the results you want.

Well, I have a feeling that my body doesn't like split peas because I had that this morning - weird, i know - and i have been gassy all day. I haven't been gassy for weeks before today. I have also been really tired all day but i think that's due to a lack of sufficient sleep. Anyway. I think i'll just stick to pea soup as a once in a blue moon thing. Thanks for the info though, everyone!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by codeguy View Post
    There's an Asian supermarket where I live and they have several kinds of "fried" broadbeans that are packaged as a snack. They are similar to "Corn Nuts" in appearance, only darker. I have never tried them. Any kind of peas are definately legumes and not considered Paleo/Primal. However, if you just gotta' have 'em, they are one of the least insulin inducing legumes, scoring around 20 on the glycemic index.
    Yep, those are the kind that grow in Dad's garden. They really are delicious and I can eat a lot of them without any stomach problems or anything. And raw peas are sooo good!
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast