Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Low carb diets 'damage arteries'" page

gazb is offline Junior Member

My Dad sent me a link to this BBC article, I'd imagine from being worried about how I eat:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8218780.stm

It's all a bit vague (Which researchers? Which independent experts? How much and what kind of fat was involved in the low carb high protein diet? What's the standard mouse feed?), and I was kinda taking it seriously up until "We know that foods such as red meat and diary products, which are high in protein, also contain high levels of saturated fat. These fats then cause the build up in the arteries."

So the article's implying that the saturated fat is clogging arteries, but by "atherosclerosis" (plaque build up) rather than the usual suspect cholesterol. I don't remember hearing atherosclerosis being discussed here or on other low carb sites. However there's not enough detail about the results of the study to prove that it was the saturated fat that caused it.

I'm obviously skeptical, what are people's thoughts?

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

I read it this morning and thought "what a load of crap."

Mice, for one, are not evolved to eat a hunter gatherer diet of meats and fats. Furthermore, it says nothing about what kind of stuff they were feeding them. I highly doubt it was grassfed beef, game or oily fish.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

My only response would be, If saturated fat was bad for my body, then why would the body create saturated fat from carbohydrates.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Why do they keep testing these things on mice? Why not just look at real people's results instead?

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Has anyone found the original paper?

I would be interested to see the exact composition of the diet administered to the rats.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Vick is offline Senior Member

I saw an article regarding this. It relates to the fats and starchy carbs. When eaten together there is a chemical change in the molecules. This forms a binding material and clogs the arteries. No starchy carbs... no problem with the fats. Once I find the link I&#39;ll post it.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

I think this is the third time in recent weeks I&#39;ve seen a research study cited that mixed carbs and fat and then blamed the fat.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

this was probally written by the sugar industry lol

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

I looked around and can&#39;t seem to find what *type* of fat they fed the mice.

My guess is that it was high in omega-6.

And the group that ate *less* omega-6 had less atherosclerosis.

When you cut the carbs, then naturally you&#39;ll have to increase the fat and/or protein.

And the group who had less exposure to omega-6 (higher carbs) had less atherosclerosis.

That&#39;s my guess.

-Sean

danid14 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

This is what I found from Science Daily:

The investigators proceeded to study a mouse model of atherosclerosis. These "ApoE" mice were fed one of three diets: a standard diet of mouse "chow" (65 percent carbohydrate; 15 percent fat; 20 percent protein); a "Western diet" in keeping with the average human diet (43 percent carbohydrate; 42 percent fat; 15 percent protein; and 0.15 percent cholesterol); or a low-carb/high-protein diet (12 percent carbohydrate; 43 percent fat; 45 percent protein; and 0.15 percent cholesterol).

"We had a diet specially made that would mimic a typical low-carb diet," explains Foo. "In order to keep the calorie count the same in all three diets, we had to substitute a nutrient to replace the carbohydrates. We decided to substitute protein because that is what people typically do when they are on these diets."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast