Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Low carb diets 'damage arteries'" page 2

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

That's the most I found as well. I second Sean on the Omega-6 hypothesis. I am also curious about the types of carbs.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

SerialSinner,

I'd like to know about the carbs too.

And danid14,

Good find on the science daily!

So I've gathered that compared to the "Standard Diet" there was 9% more atherosclerosis with the "Western Diet" which was 15 percent protein.

And there was 15% more atherosclerosis with the "low-carb/high-protein" diet which was 45 percent protein.

Both had the same % of fat... so that may not be the biggest factor here. (Although I bet they still used Omega 6)

But check out that percentage with the "low-carb/high-protein" group which showed the most atherosclerosis... 45 percent!!

Let's break that down into how that would relate to someone eating a 2,000 calorie diet.

45% of total calories would be 900 calories.

Divide that by 4 (the number of calories per gram in protein.)

You get 225 grams of protein.

That's a lot! Good luck getting that down your throat if you're eating a 2,000 calorie diet.

Besides the fact that I don't know how a rat's body reacts to that much protein... I don't think that's good to do regardless. Not unless you *really* need it, like if you're breaking down muscle tissue like Arnonld Schwarzenegger on a roided out rampage.

Anyhow, my guess is that there's something else going on other than just "low carbs."

-Sean

Griff is offline Senior Member

Yeah, sounds hinky to me. It burns me up that they are so blind to the interaction of carbohydrates and fats. JUST FEED FATS, and see what happens.

*sigh*

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12