Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Play - Sword Play? page

Laguz is offline Member

Fitness Play - Sword Play?

Primal Fuel
    Hello, I'm pretty new to the primal lifestyle, so I'm still trying to put together some fitness and play options.

Over the last few years, I've collected a few swords for decoration. They're small-medium in size (a little larger than your average machete), one-handed, and are pretty blunt. They were bought at bargain price, and are a bit chipped here and there, so I'm not worried about keeping them in pristine condition. I am trying to think of ways I can incorporate sword play or learning how to sword fight into my weekly play, but I have no idea where to begin. Eventually, I would like to be able to handle both one-handed and heavy two-handed swords. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I was on the fencing team in college. Women's foil. Back then, women didn't fence epee or sabre.

Hard to imagine "playing" with a real blade. That precludes a partner. Unless you rig up a dummy and tie it to a tree. However, if you like the idea of fencing for exercise, see if there is a salle d'armes (fencing school) in your city or town. It's fantastic exercise----like a sprint using all of your body, plus your mind.....a little like physical chess.

PWG

Laguz is offline Member
    Great, thanks! When I say play, I mean doing drills, or exercises to get used to handling a sword, or becoming a kid again and defending myself from pirates with a bokken/wooden sword. Fencing sounds like fun! I'll do a bit of digging, and see what I can find.

SpiritWarrior is offline Member
    look on amazon, theres an exercise program called forza that may be just what you are looking for

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member

Motley is offline Junior Member
    What you want to do is look into HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) also refereed to as WMA (Western Martial Arts).

Basically there is a wealth of European fighting manuals from the 14th century onwards out there. From Sword and Buckler and Longsword (2 handed) through to Rapier and Smallsword.

Yeah it's my thing :-)

Look here if you are interested in finding out more here are some sites you can look at:
    http://www.wmacoalition.com
    http://hemaalliance.com
    http://forums.swordforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
    http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/index.php

back to lurking now...

Dan.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    For a short sword though, have a look a escrima/kali. They have a training drill that can be done with knife, stick, machete, short sword. I have a nice heavy machete and do this on occasion for a change. It really works the arms.

Motley is offline Junior Member
    One more thing for the OP... :-)

I noticed you seem to be in Oregon?

I don't know how close it is to you but if you can and are interested then check out http://www.northwestacademyofarms.com/ The instructor there is very good. He is a classical ('proper' Italian foil, epee and Sabre not sport fencing) Maestro and also a HEMA researcher.

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    I do a historical swordsmanship class here but we use a pvc/foam sword and I use nerf swords when I spar with my kids. Check SCA types to see if one is around you. I second the Forza!! I do it on occasion with my kids. All those lunges work your legs! Your arms get a good workout too.

I did fencing in collage. Fencing is fun too but it is totally different than swordfighting.

Laguz is offline Member
    Wow, thanks guys! Lots of cool information!

@ Motley: Thanks for all the links! Yes, I'm in the Beaverton area. Unfortunately the NWAoA would take me to Eugene (a bit of a commute, on top of working 40+ hours), but I did find something similar closer to me. I will still have to check it out next time I make a trip south.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast