Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK PB'ers : Is it expensive ? page

mug2k is offline Member

UK PB'ers : Is it expensive ?

I'm only about 50 pages into the book but loving the information so far. I've looked through some recipes and a few threads regarding breakfast etc. Alot of people seem to be having very substantial breakfasts with various fish, meats and veggies. Also I see alot of people buying organic, is that really needed or just a luxury ?.

I'm currently unemployed so I can't spend vast amount of money on food. I just wondered if your average food costs are a great deal more since you went primal ?.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    I am not in the UK, but I think the economic climate is fairly hostile everywhere. I don't earn much but have been moving in a primal direction for not quite three weeks. I think it's best to think of the PB as a direction, not a destination, because we all have a variety of reasons why we can't go full tilt.

I stopped buying alcohol in early August so that freed up some money. I don't buy grains and have gradually lowered my dairy purchases to one pint of cream a week, so that was more of a savings on my grocery bill. Last week, I bought (gasp) a little herb-crusted rack of lamb at Trader Joe's. Not quite the grass-fed beef from a local provider, I know ... but I'm moving in a PB direction. The week before, I bought one pound of bison meat that met all the criteria. It was, like, eight or nine bucks! Holy Cow! er, Buffalo!

The point is, do what you can and don't focus on what you can't. We all have limitations. =)

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Yes it is more expensive than living on pasta and bread. But it's so worth it. As you're unemployed honestly I wouldn't worry about getting organic, grass fed stuff etc just yet. Even cutting out grains and sugar will do your health the world of good. If you're smart and shop around you won't have to spend a fortune. Lidl for one example is very chjeap, you can get great bargains on fruit and veg, and they have a lot of frozen seafood.

Pookie is offline Member
    Things like canned sardines are cheap for breakfast, or bacon 'misshapes' I buy those!

And I agree that Lidl is great for vegetables, they have really cheap spinach and broccoli this week.

FergalJennings is offline Senior Member
    I find it easy enough and if you look in the right places you'll get some great stuff for free =]
    i got my butcher to make beef sausages with nothing but herbs and black pepper. He gave me a lb of them to try for free! and i got 6 free range duck eggs from a local farmer on the same day...

so its been beef sausages and duck eggs with squash all week for breakfast :P

Mollymoe is offline Senior Member
    I agree that it can be more expensive, but it is still possible to do it fairly cheaply. I don't think it's essential to go for the organic, grass fed stuff either - I don't. I still feel much better off with cheaper meats & vegetables than I was when I was eating all the grains and sugars. Besides, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) in the UK most of our meat is likely to have been at least partially grass fed anyway.

Look around and see if you can find alternative sources rather than just relying on the big supermarkets, e.g asian shops can be a cheaper source for coconut milk. Look for cheaper cuts of meat - if you like chicken liver, last time I looked tesco had it on sale at 43p for a 225g pot (frozen). Consider looking for foods that may not look perfect but are still perfectly good to eat - I've found our local saturday market sells eggs with slight cracks as seconds for 2.50 for a tray of 36.

Another way to make your food stretch further is to make clever use of leftovers - e.g a roast chicken for sunday lunch can be used in a salad during the week and the carcass can be boiled up into broth and turned into soup for another day. I find the main thing for me is to just be a bit more organised and plan my meals as much as possible.

As an added bonus, eating the PB way keeps me fuller longer so I don't think I eat so much, at least in terms of volume.

aussieluke is offline Member
    First poster here - this thread finally made me feel I should join up and add my 2p! (Hello BTW!)

Here are my findings from about 6 months of primal eating in the UK:

I try to always shop at Sainsburys (no affiliation!) as although they are perceived as more expensive than some, I find for real food they are cheaper and of better quality.

You can buy British or Irish beef mince, 2 500g packs for 4 most of the time, sometimes 2 700g packs of leaner steak mince for 6, and I've recently started getting a couple of the "Basics" range beef, 400g for 97p! Its all British meat and tastes perfectly fine. I prefer the regular (not lean) mince as it tastes best and can be made into burgers more easily.

Can also get British lamb mince 2 500g packs for 5 most of the time

...and pork mince 3 500g packs for 3.50!

I get a mixture of these each week and make my own "sausages" and burgers (I say sausages, I just shape minced meat into sausage shapes!) and also mince curries with beef or lamb.

Pork joints (usually shoulders) are always on offer in either Sainsburys or Tesco and you can buy a 2kg-ish joint for about 6

Sainsburys sometimes have British/Irish topside/toprump/silverside joints half price, and you can get a 2.5kg-ish joint of incredible beef for about a tenner. You can bung one of these whole in a slow cooker and have delicious meat all week!

Tesco do coconut milk in the ethnic foods section for 48p a can

You can get 15 free range eggs of mixed sizes for 2.50 in most supermarkets. Sainsburys are best quality IMO

Cream is the most expensive item at about 1,90 a pint, though I am trying to cut down on it at the moment.

Most supermarkets will have at least one brand of butter on offer at any one time, eg. Kerrygold (Irish), or Anchor (made in New Zealand)

Blueberries are cheap in Aldi - about 79p for about 150g (half the price of big supermarkets!)

Another favourite - I've found if you go into Tesco at the right time you can get a whole hot cooked chicken reduced to about 2!

If these are helpful I will post more as I think of them!

Luke

aussieluke is offline Member
    Oh yeah, if you haven't already got one, you can get a big (6 Litre+) slow cooker in Argos or Tesco etc for about 15. Winter is coming up, and you can make massive delicious meat and veg stews in the morning which will be ready for when you get in from work. Cheap to run too!

Webby is offline Member
    Yeah, don't worry about all the organic stuff, don't get sidetracked by things like coconut oil, or luxury products- there's more than enough primal food in the UK to do this. (Though Avocados are 39p in my Aldi's)

Think old-school cooking- cheap cuts of meat in stews, mince recipes. Buy the fatty stuff!
    Buy your fruit and veggies (and fish) in season.
    Do rubber chicken- roast, salad, leftovers, broth
    Buy sardines and pilchards rather than tuna.

Something I found helpful is buy your fruit and veggies loose. Don't get lured in by special offers that end up rotting in the fruit bowl.

mug2k is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I already love this place, so many replies already. Can somebody about the significance of coconut milk because I've seen so many people talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    I am not in the UK, but I think the economic climate is fairly hostile everywhere. I don't earn much but have been moving in a primal direction for not quite three weeks. I think it's best to think of the PB as a direction, not a destination, because we all have a variety of reasons why we can't go full tilt.

I stopped buying alcohol in early August so that freed up some money. I don't buy grains and have gradually lowered my dairy purchases to one pint of cream a week, so that was more of a savings on my grocery bill. Last week, I bought (gasp) a little herb-crusted rack of lamb at Trader Joe's. Not quite the grass-fed beef from a local provider, I know ... but I'm moving in a PB direction. The week before, I bought one pound of bison meat that met all the criteria. It was, like, eight or nine bucks! Holy Cow! er, Buffalo!

The point is, do what you can and don't focus on what you can't. We all have limitations. =)
    I don't drink so no savings there I'm afraid, I might just buy the meat in bulk though and freeze it as I'm sure its cheaper the more I buy. I'm just gonna try and make a slowish transition to primal and see how the costs turn out along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Yes it is more expensive than living on pasta and bread. But it's so worth it. As you're unemployed honestly I wouldn't worry about getting organic, grass fed stuff etc just yet. Even cutting out grains and sugar will do your health the world of good. If you're smart and shop around you won't have to spend a fortune. Lidl for one example is very chjeap, you can get great bargains on fruit and veg, and they have a lot of frozen seafood.
    Good recommendation there, I already shop at Aldi because its close proximity to me. There veg super 6 saver deals are really good, 59p each for certain veg and salad items and it changes each day.

Fish seems like a large part of primal and I don't eat much at all and its something I'm going to make a conscious effort to eat more of it. Bags of frozen fish fillets are quite reasonable at aldi so I'll try and get a bag next time I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Things like canned sardines are cheap for breakfast, or bacon 'misshapes' I buy those!

And I agree that Lidl is great for vegetables, they have really cheap spinach and broccoli this week.
    Yep those bacon 'misshapes' are awesome. Quite a decent amount of bacon for about 1.10 I believe at Tesco.

Tesco do tuna flakes in brine for about 45p a can which is brilliant value. I love tuna but I doubt I should eat it too much because of the mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by FergalJennings View Post
    I find it easy enough and if you look in the right places you'll get some great stuff for free =]
    i got my butcher to make beef sausages with nothing but herbs and black pepper. He gave me a lb of them to try for free! and i got 6 free range duck eggs from a local farmer on the same day...

so its been beef sausages and duck eggs with squash all week for breakfast :P
    I haven't been to a butchers for a long ass time. I'll check one out next time I'm out and see what kind of deals I can get. Again buying in bulk might be a worthwhile option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollymoe View Post
    I agree that it can be more expensive, but it is still possible to do it fairly cheaply. I don't think it's essential to go for the organic, grass fed stuff either - I don't. I still feel much better off with cheaper meats & vegetables than I was when I was eating all the grains and sugars. Besides, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) in the UK most of our meat is likely to have been at least partially grass fed anyway.

Look around and see if you can find alternative sources rather than just relying on the big supermarkets, e.g asian shops can be a cheaper source for coconut milk. Look for cheaper cuts of meat - if you like chicken liver, last time I looked tesco had it on sale at 43p for a 225g pot (frozen). Consider looking for foods that may not look perfect but are still perfectly good to eat - I've found our local saturday market sells eggs with slight cracks as seconds for 2.50 for a tray of 36.

Another way to make your food stretch further is to make clever use of leftovers - e.g a roast chicken for sunday lunch can be used in a salad during the week and the carcass can be boiled up into broth and turned into soup for another day. I find the main thing for me is to just be a bit more organised and plan my meals as much as possible.

As an added bonus, eating the PB way keeps me fuller longer so I don't think I eat so much, at least in terms of volume.
    I don't really know much about organic stuff to be honest and I'll doubt I'll ever bother buying it because I think any health gains would be small in comparison to the price difference.

My parents went to a market a while back and got tons of fruit and veg for about a tenner. I completely forgot about that option, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieluke View Post
    First poster here - this thread finally made me feel I should join up and add my 2p! (Hello BTW!)

Here are my findings from about 6 months of primal eating in the UK:

I try to always shop at Sainsburys (no affiliation!) as although they are perceived as more expensive than some, I find for real food they are cheaper and of better quality.

You can buy British or Irish beef mince, 2 500g packs for 4 most of the time, sometimes 2 700g packs of leaner steak mince for 6, and I've recently started getting a couple of the "Basics" range beef, 400g for 97p! Its all British meat and tastes perfectly fine. I prefer the regular (not lean) mince as it tastes best and can be made into burgers more easily.

Can also get British lamb mince 2 500g packs for 5 most of the time

...and pork mince 3 500g packs for 3.50!

I get a mixture of these each week and make my own "sausages" and burgers (I say sausages, I just shape minced meat into sausage shapes!) and also mince curries with beef or lamb.

Pork joints (usually shoulders) are always on offer in either Sainsburys or Tesco and you can buy a 2kg-ish joint for about 6

Sainsburys sometimes have British/Irish topside/toprump/silverside joints half price, and you can get a 2.5kg-ish joint of incredible beef for about a tenner. You can bung one of these whole in a slow cooker and have delicious meat all week!

Tesco do coconut milk in the ethnic foods section for 48p a can

You can get 15 free range eggs of mixed sizes for 2.50 in most supermarkets. Sainsburys are best quality IMO

Cream is the most expensive item at about 1,90 a pint, though I am trying to cut down on it at the moment.

Most supermarkets will have at least one brand of butter on offer at any one time, eg. Kerrygold (Irish), or Anchor (made in New Zealand)

Blueberries are cheap in Aldi - about 79p for about 150g (half the price of big supermarkets!)

Another favourite - I've found if you go into Tesco at the right time you can get a whole hot cooked chicken reduced to about 2!

If these are helpful I will post more as I think of them!

Luke
    Great post and thanks for all the recs. I think I better check out Sainsbury's again soon. I think like you I'll start making alot of my burgers and the like from scratch as it'll help me improve my kitchen skills. In the past I've been very hands off and just chucked a pizza in the oven.

As you've been PB'ing for 6 months how is your health and overall fitness levels ?.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieluke View Post
    Oh yeah, if you haven't already got one, you can get a big (6 Litre+) slow cooker in Argos or Tesco etc for about 15. Winter is coming up, and you can make massive delicious meat and veg stews in the morning which will be ready for when you get in from work. Cheap to run too!
    Got one of those too but I'm not very adventurous and wouldn't have a clue what to cook in there. I'm so unskilled in the kitchen its ridiculous

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast