Page 1 of 151 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - NourishedEm

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Where to start?!

I have spent the first 35 years of my life following CW and getting fatter and fatter. I'm a solid girl anyway, I have broad shoulders and hips and carry a lot of muscle, but I'm also carrying about an extra 20kgs of fat as well (I'm guessing, never have had my BF% checked).

Food and nutrition are a big hobby of mine. I read constantly about all things related to this subject. The last few years have led me to where I am now. It all started with finding out about Weston A Price and buying myself Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig. I completely changed the way food is prepared in my house. I fermented vegetables, made my own sourdough bread, yoghurt and kefir and stopped using white sugar and flour.
    There was a huge turnaround in my family's health once we started eating this way, but I still didn't manage to shift any weight, at this point I got hold of Gary Taubes Good Calories Bad Calories and absorbed that. As a student and researcher, I found that an awesome book and a wonderful validation for the healthyness of low-carb eating. Shortly after this I decided to do Atkins. That worked for a while, but I thought it was unnecessarily restrictive, surely not eating fruit and restricting vegetables can't be right?
    So anyhoo, I follow Jimmy Moore's 'Livin La Vida Low Carb' blog and he mentioned The Primal Blueprint, I downloaded that onto my Kindle and wolfed it down in a day. It seems like this is the culmination of everything I've learned over the last 2 years of reading on the subject of health and nutrition.

I have been eating low-carb for a while but had never realised that IF is something that can be done safely and I have found it makes me feel awesome! I'm pretty much doing it every day, I have coffee in the mornings but nothing else till lunch and I'm not hungry! I don't feel light-headed or low in energy, it's awesome!!

The exercise is something that I needed a kick in the butt about. I hike regularly but haven't done any kind of exercise aside from that for a while. I hate the gym and love the outdoors so the fact that I can do the LHT workout in my backyard is great. I have a really steep sandhill around the corner from my house for sprints and my hiking covers the moving frequently at a slow pace, although it is not really that slow Getting fit is one of the things I'm looking forward to most.

So, what am I hoping to achieve here? Well aside from health and a long life free from illness, I need to lose weight. I'm not sure how much because I've never been slim. I weigh exactly 100kg now and I'm 175cm. I need to find out my BF% I think so that I can have a reasonable goal. The BMI says that I should be 74kgs at the most to be a 'normal' weight, but I'm really not sure I can lose 26kgs without losing some muscle and I don't want that. So I guess I'll just have to see how it goes, for now I'm just going to ease into the workouts, follow the PB eating style, do IF whenever I can and I know it will happen.

Have been outrageously hungry today. I didn't eat more than 1000 calories yesterday so i guess my body is just making up for it.
    B - 2 slices bacon, fried egg on wilted spinach and a grilled tomato. Coffee with cream.
    L - Sashimi and a seaweed salad
    D - A big hunk of bbq'd lamb
    Snacks - A rather large bowl of nuts, some hot salami and 4 low-carb beers

I'm off camping with my kids, my boyfriend and his kids tomorrow. Should be fun

Amanda is offline Member
    Hi Em! Sounds like you and I have a lot in common. I'm a solid girl too and I do a lot of hiking. I've got a huge mountain range nearly in my backyard and my partner and I spend a lot of time there. We are going here Sunday - http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/cammerer.htm

If you are in no hurry on the weight loss front, I think PB is a great way to go. I've been eating (mostly) this way about 6 weeks and lost about 6 pounds total. I think daily IF's had a bit to do with this too - I skip breakfast most days, have a big salad for lunch and meat/veggies for dinner. Good luck on your PB journey!

Thanks Amanda, Mount Cammerer looks absolutely stunning! Here in Western Australia, this....

http://www.wheatbelttourism.com/en/A...e+Outcrops.htm

is the kind of terrrain that I spend most of my time hiking in. I'm heading south today though, so will be exploring caves and the nearby Karri forests

http://www.geographebay.com/accom_result1/ngilgi-cave/
    and....
    http://www.australiassouthwest.com/e...s/default.aspx

I'm not in a hurry to lose the weight, I'm more interested in getting fitter. I have actually thrown my scales away as i find they depress me, I will feel great one day because I've managed to fit back into my size 14 jeans and then I'll jump on the scale and show no loss and get all miserable... what up with that! It doesn't really matter what I weigh, my body composition is the important thing and I know that is changing

So.. back home to reality. I'm working tonight (gotta love night-shifts!) and I have 3 essays due on the 1st November. Yuk!!

Camping was awesome though, it's the first time we've taken our kids. My BF and I have 5 kids between us aged 9 and 8 (his), 7, 7 and 4 (mine and yes, twins ). I discovered that we have a slightly different take on what constitutes bad behaviour in our children. The BF is a bit of a micro-manager, he watches them play and constantly intervenes with "stop that" or "don't do that" whereas I tend to just leave them to it. I keep an eye out, but if no-one's fighting, bleeding or doing anything illegal, I tend to leave them alone to be kids. This could be an issue if we ever decide to move in together I think

Anyway, apart from that, we had a great time. We visited Ngilgi cave which is a huge limestone cave on the south-west coast of Western Australia. It goes down about 70 metres and has 700 steps to get to the bottom. There's 100% humidity and the CO2 levels are 4 times normal air. Let's just say that I think I got my workout for the day done in there!

Primally, I think I'm going ok. I definately overdid my first LHT workout and was out of action for days, consequently I didn't get 2 in last week. I did one this morning though and I feel great (so far!), I've been easily managing the 'moving frequently at a slow pace' thing what with my hiking and dog-walking. I have yet to do any sprinting though. I think perhaps I should try that in the pool, I don't know. I'm definately not up for running and I don't own a stationary bike. Hill sprints would be ok but my thighs have been out of commission all this week due to too many squats!

Food wise I'm doing good. This WOE is not a big departure for me anyway as I've been low-carb for ages. I am focussing now on more vegetables and it's nice to have a little fruit too. I wasn't having that at all on Atkins. I still have too much alcohol I think, I haven't lost any weight again this week (although I feel more toned) and I think it may be due to my alcohol intake. Course it could just be a plateau, I've been hovering here for about 6 weeks now!

I've been playing around with IF the last few days. I tried skipping breakfast and did fine but I can't really call it fasting as I need my coffee with cream in the morning and there's a nice hit of fat and calories in that. Yesterday I went from 4pm till 9.30am this morning (17.5 hours) but I did have a big glass of red wine last night, so that probably doesn't count either.... see why I said 'playing?'
    I wasn't hungry at all though and still had plenty of energy for my workout this morning which I did before I ate.

Ok, here's my plan: For 3 days a week I am going to go alcohol-free and do IF from mid-afternoon till the next morning. This week, I'll go with Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I will promise to be scrupulously honest about whether I manage it (no point in lying to myself! )
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 10-10-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: no spellcheck

So today is my first IF/Alcohol free day. I still haven't lost any weight although I'm fitting comfortably into my smaller jeans. I wish I had the strength of will to just stay off the damn scales! They're messing with my head!

I'm gonna try to cut back on the dairy too and lose the nuts. I haven't had any nuts this week and am not really missing them, but the dairy is gonna be tough. I simply cannot give up my creamy coffee in the morning, but I'm gonna restrict it to one a day now and I'm gonna cut out cheese..... Argh!!! I adore cheese, this is gonna be tough but if I do it for a coupla weeks and the weight starts coming off I guess I'll know what the culprit is. I don't drink milk or eat yoghurt so really cheese and cream are my only dairy-crimes

Man am I sore today! Upper body mostly, guess I did my pull-ups correctly this time around. My abs are a bit tender too from the plank manouvre. It's a more normal kinda soreness though, I don't feel like I broke anything like I did last week. I know where I went wrong last week though. It was my squat technique, it was totally wrong, I was all on my toes. My legs were dying both during and for a week after. I watched Mark's video this week and concentrated on my form this time around and amazingly enough, I was able to do free-standing squats! It was very hard to get through both sets but it didn't hurt then or now, just feeling a bit of normal soreness in the quads.

So... plan for today:

Breakfast: Coffee with heavy cream, pepper and garlic omelette with avocado (No cheese )

Lunch: Big-arse salad with chicken and avocado

No food or alcohol (!!) after 4pm

Well, I made it! IF from 3pm yesterday to 8am this morning. I only had peppermint tea and water in the fasting period. It really wasn't hard at all! My stomach was making a few grumbling sounds in bed last night but it wasn't uncomfortable. I'm gonna go again today I reckon.
    My triceps and delts are still a bit sore today, too much to do another LHT workout today so will leave that till tomorrow. Will get some walking in today though with the monster-dog, might hit the dog beach and get the legs pumping in the soft sand

Plan for yesterday... check, check and check.. all done I did have another coffee in the late morning.

Plan for today:

Breakfast: Coffee with heavy cream (have halved the amount I normally use) 2 slices bacon, 2 eggs.

Late morning 'snack': Coffee with heavy cream, maybe some spicy salami if hungry.

Lunch: Minced beef fried up with bacon, tomato, onion and garlic and baked in half a red pepper topped with pine nuts.

Nothing but tea and water after 4pm.

Is it possible to get results from just 2 LHT workouts? I think maybe it is! I have most definately got some extra definition in my arms, shoulders and thighs already.... Grok on!

So, didn't manage to fast from 4pm yesterday, I made a bacon, cheeseburger quiche for my kids dinner and I was hungry so I ate a half serve, was bloody yum! I had a full serve for breakfast this morning too.

The dairy thing isn't going too well although I have cut down for sure. There was cheese in the quiche and I'm eating heavy cream on some blueberries as we speak. I haven't had any nuts though and I've not had any alcohol since Tuesday either, so I'm happy with 2 out of 3

Today:

Breakfast: I had coffee with cream and a serve of bacon cheeseburger quiche.

Lunch: Salt and pepper squid (MDA blog recipe, was gooood!) salad and blueberries with cream

Snack: Full cream latte while out getting my hair cut

I'm cooking prawns for my kids tonight and I may not be able to resist a few, especially as I've got some freshly-made mayonnaise in my fridge but otherwise I'll IF from 4pm again. Gonna go do my LHT workout now as my soreness is all better.... time to make myself sore again I guess.

I am HUNGRY!!

Maybe it's a consequence of my workout but I am really, really hungry tonight. No IFing for me, I've had a hard-boiled egg, some slices of salami and now a tin of kippers! Not sure where I'm going to turn next if this doesn't fix it, the damn prawns are still frozen so we won't be eating them. The kids are having some pea and ham soup that I made a while back from the freezer, but that's too carby for me. Maybe I'll make a protein shake if I still feel hungry later.

Well aside from a few chunks of ham from the kids leftovers and a glass of raw milk, I managed to stop eating last night

I really enjoyed my workout yesterday. It's becoming a bit more natural to do the moves now and I can feel already that I'm getting stronger.

Plan for today:

Breakfast: Coffee with heavy cream (gonna try with coconut cream in a minute to see if I can kick the cream)

Lunch: Green protein smoothie

Dinner: Prawn stir-fry, if they're defrosted by then

Since I did my 3 days with no alcohol, I could have a glass of wine tonight, but I'll play it by ear. I'm not gonna have one just because I can.

Walk on the beach with the kids and the dog.

Page 1 of 151 1231151101 ... LastLast